ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Upgrading from OSX 10.8.5 to OSX10.9.2+ running PP CS6 on Mac Pro Early 2009

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank CervarichUpgrading from OSX 10.8.5 to OSX10.9.2+ running PP CS6 on Mac Pro Early 2009
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:17:04 pm

I have just bought a new external hard drive. My Mac Pro will not recognize it unless I upgrade to 10.9.2 or above. I have hesitated to upgrade my OSX because I seem to recall it causes potential conflicts with my Mercury Cuda and Premiere. Hope this makes sense. I would appreciate advice and suggestions about whether to upgrade the OSX.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Upgrading from OSX 10.8.5 to OSX10.9.2+ running PP CS6 on Mac Pro Early 2009
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:34:59 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:35:59 pm

I always get nervous when doing an upgrade rather than clean install,
but the last two upgrades have been flawless.

backup or better yet clone your system drive first so you can revert
if there is a major problem.

I just updated 1 system same as yours (early 2009 tower) from mountain lion
to Yosemite. Everything works and no cuda issues. I did update to the latest
cuda and nvidia drivers too.

also did the latest yosemite 10.10.4 update.

my flip4mac plugin wouldn't work but a free updated fixed that.

I'm running CC 2014.1

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Upgrading from OSX 10.8.5 to OSX10.9.2+ running PP CS6 on Mac Pro Early 2009
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:03:15 pm

What type of hard drive is not recognized? Do you really want to mess with a working system just because of a hard drive issue when there are many hard drives you could get that would simply be plug & play?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Frank CervarichRe: Upgrading from OSX 10.8.5 to OSX10.9.2+ running PP CS6 on Mac Pro Early 2009
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:24:58 pm

The hard drive is a G-Tech G-Raid with Thunderbolt (and USB3) 12 TB. The reason I bought it was to create backward and forward compatibility. Unfortunately, I have since discovered (yesterday) that this drive will never be recognized by Mac Pro Early 2009 through the thunderbolt port. I will have to buy a card that has a USB3 port on it and install that in my Mac Pro. I had bought a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter thinking that would allow me to use this drive with my Mac Pro. That turns out to be false information. Now I have to decide what to do. One of my issues with upgrading to the most current OSX was shake hands issues with PP CS6 and other software. A previous reply claims a clean install and download of updated drives will solve that problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]