ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Export/Premiere GPU Mercury engine question with 4k Macbook

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy DavidAdobe Export/Premiere GPU Mercury engine question with 4k Macbook
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:52:25 am

I have just now started shooting in 4k and I'm exporting a file in good quality, it's YouTube 4k but I kept all the quality settings up. It's like a 6 minute clip. It has taken about an hour so far and my macbook is so hot I could cook eggs on it.

Should I switch to software only for exporting or would that be even worse? I don't want to hurt my Retina Macbook. I have the top of the line one, with the best specs, so I know it's not an issue of specs. But this thing is HOT and the fan has not stopped at all.

I also have to do this same thing when encoding it into pro res to put it in premiere. 4k plays fine in pro res but the Sony codec, natively is real jumpy once I start adding color grades to it. And when I take it to Speed Grade forget about even using it if it isn't pro res.

I don't want to do this every day and my computer burn out. Fan speed 600 RPM on each side, and 91c on temperature. Is this a dangerous thing? I'm sure it won't hurt it this time. But I mean, if I do this every single day, which I plan to, is this a bad idea to use the GPU for exporting?

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Adobe Export/Premiere GPU Mercury engine question with 4k Macbook
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 11:14:48 am

Hi Tommy,

Congrats on the nice MacBook. Simply put, 4k files are big and encoding to YouTube 4k involves a lot of CPU cycles since it is A) a large frame and B) H.264.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think that turning off the GPU is going to make a material difference in this case and might slow down the encode. It can't hurt to try though - based on the kind of edit and source material you are using.

HTH,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Tommy DavidRe: Adobe Export/Premiere GPU Mercury engine question with 4k Macbook
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 6:50:53 am

Well as long as it won't burn out my macbook pro it's fine. I have two of them so I'm thinking of doing it on the older one. it's still powerful enough. its' like this one it just isn't retina.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]