ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Remember the old days? :-(

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian CooneyRemember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:04:49 pm

It seems to me and I don't totally blame Adobe, but with things moving so fast OS upgrade after OS revamp, it's no wonder I can't get a real stable editing system that will last and still take advantage of new software features. Remember Windows 95, the game changer? you could rely on something staying put for at least 3 years or so.. wish it was longer. Apple has been so out of control, it's no wonder Adobe can't follow seamlessly. I don't know what to do. Been a frustrating year with editing software. Maybe I need to switch over to a PC.. hate that though. Would love to hear y'all's perception of things as of late.

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:17:43 pm

I've got a gig coming up that will be all on new Dell workstations and I'm looking forward to it. Just the change of pace I suppose. The other day I sent some script revisions to a designer that hired me and he sent me a note back thanking me but in the future to please use Word and not Pages. Said he will no longer work with software that is platform specific. Now, this guy's entire shop is Mac, but every box will eventually be replaced with a PC he tells me.

Return to posts index

Brian CooneyRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:19:24 pm

yeah the way it's going..mac more consumer than pro.. I think he's right.

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:01:07 pm

Hey Brian,

I wrote a message to you in that other long thread by mistake, meaning to put it here, but...

Meanwhile, I wanted to chime in here about Premiere on Windows vs Macs, as I was working for s reseller the last three years, who are well-known for their very powerful Windows workstations.
What I can tell you is this, there is no doubt about it, the cross platform NLEs, Adobe and Avid, can absolutely run circles around the same apps on a Mac, if you have the proper components, and if you know what you're doing.

It's simple, the Mac Pros all have but a single Xeon processor, while all of the higher end Windows workstations have two of the same Xeon procs. That's the most fundamental difference, the ability to upgrade GPUs to the latest and greatest (including multiples) provides another huge advantage.

And, I can also share that the Mac users I converted to Windows ALL said that Adobe and Avid simply ran better on those Windows machines than they ever did on any Mac. That being said, you guys all should be aware that Windows machines are considerably harder to configure and maintain than Macs, so I do recommend purchasing turnkey systems from a reseller who knows the demands of video inside and out.

Hope this helps...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:18:59 pm

I've seriously been considering it for over a year now. I think most of my apps will work cross-platform. Thanks for the advice on a reseller contract. That seems the way to go. Can you recommend anyone? I know of ProMax in Ca who I've had conversations with in the past. But would welcome any suggestions.

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:21:26 pm

I meant pluggins not apps.. :-)

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:29:52 pm

David...one better. What would you recommend for a PC system. Being a Mac guy... Can it be done for $5000 or under? Thinking SS Drive, 2TB secondary ATA, NVIDIA card, 64GB Ram, 27" display ( samsung?) or 2 20inch.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:45:48 pm

Hey Brian, give me a call tomorrow. I used to work for the company you mentioned, but now I consult with a number of different resellers who are very good. However, I can promise you, $5000 will not suffice, that will actually only cover the dual Xeon procs - you'll need more ammo for a powerful and reliable workstation, but I'll need to ask you a load of workflow questions to pinpoint precisely what to recommend.

You can call me at three one zero/729-seven nine zero six.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:48:31 pm

Thanks will do. Yeah I figured I'd need more $$$. :-)

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:48:56 am

Not that I've done any actual counts, but it seems that the preponderance of issues we see here with CC apps is on the Mac platform. I can remember back in the old days when Macs ruled the editing arena, whenever someone would post an problem on a PC, the stock answer for many was - "Buy a Mac". I've been tempted to mimic that behavior, but I've decided to take the high road. It's on my Bucket List, though.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:50:00 am

yeah bro. I agree totally.

Return to posts index

Michael KrupnickRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 11:41:48 am

Many successful business have shifted away from owner customers to subscription-based revenue desiring renters not licenseed users. It's true of cars, housing, TV service and high-end software.
And the target is not the old hot-rod tinkerer who loves his wheels, making his into a high-performance version of the stock version…they want amateurs who shoot, wrap the output in a YouTube-ready wrapper, and don't bug them with suport requests.
Apple's objective is a new more expensive iPhone (no different underneath but prettier) masquerading as innovation. It's working, too…placing it as the top-earning company in America. But it is very sad for old hot-rodders like us.
Innovation is now being spread in new industries with far higher goals like energy independence and global environmental sustainability. Meanwhile, I do the best possible with my Intel 8-core MacPro with a multi-OS boot capability and stable versions of PP, Ps, and FCP…and it's very solid. Yes, today is not as good as yesterday in the non-pro world of the amateur king. But There's hope for the future and museums like mine still run remarkably smoothly.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:46:46 pm

Very well said!

Return to posts index

Lou RosenbergRe: Remember the old days? :-(
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 2:21:05 pm

Brian,
Wow I really ID w your post. Im only an educational and event videographer working in Manhattan for NYU.
Last Sept I made the switch from FCPv7.02 to PPr CC14. I m running Mountain Lion at work and Mavericks at hm both on Mac Pro towers w new graphics boards of course, enough RAM to do most live efx.

I m considering going back to FCPX for my home freelance work but mainly b/c I m not seeing the support from Adobe I thought I would get.

The interface in PPr seems wonky the tracks expand way too much out of control, and there are more bugs in my software than a bad mattress.

But on the good side the Media Encoder is first rate and beats out the last ver of Compressor I used.
thanks for your post, i dont feel so alone now:)
Lou

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:45:28 pm

Haha we both need new mattresses!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]