ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

De-interlacing and ignore frame rate

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor AsquerthianDe-interlacing and ignore frame rate
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:52:29 pm

2 questions:

Best deinterlace method/plug-in? (field options deinterlace seems to field double and flicker removal seems to merge - neither are ideal, can only be applied one clip at a time and have no indication they are applied)

Any way of emulating avids ignoreQTrate? Ie I have 23.976fps in a 25fps sequence and would rather it played frame for frame rather than the awful pulldown it attempts. Interpreting the footage to 25 doesn't seem to do it...

Oh and a third for good luck - in Avid we have a number of choices for time warp interpolation - PPro only seems to offer frame blend, or am I missing something

This is all on Cc2014.2

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian CooneyRe: De-interlacing and ignore frame rate
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 12:38:00 am

Trevor, I would consider.. it's a pain.. converting your raw footage to prores which will be progressive and not interlaced. If I understand your question correctly, PPro does have a time feature. But I think if you convert your raw footage to the frame rate and attributes you desire. you will be rolling!

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: De-interlacing and ignore frame rate
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:28:41 pm

Brian, I would love to hear how you would suggest doing this conversion to ProRes. Trevor doesn't identify what his original files are, unless I understand 23.976fps interlaced.
I had a timeline edited in Apple SD 29.97 and have struggled with the deinterlace/uprez process. RG Frames seemed glitchy and slow for the deinterlace. I uprezed with RG Instant HD and then dropped the file into a progressive timeline, which I have heard throws out half the scan lines and interpolates. But I can still edit, and add titles which seem to be higher rez than in the SD timeline.
But I understand that the uprez and interlace are actually PP effects, not a real conversion, which would be done on AME export.
Would appreciate any knowledge and experience you could share.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:42:51 pm

Robert. If you open up Adobe Media Encoder you can design your own custom presets. Prores will be one of the options and you can set frame rate etc. proves is progressive so it may fix some of your issues. You could convert your raw footage to prores 422 or 422HQ and bring it in to ppro.

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: De-interlacing and ignore frame rate
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:57:23 pm

Thanks, Brian. That's definitely what I'll do with future projects. I hear of other pro editors who convert to ProRes before editing in PP. I can see how that could solve issues with the multiple file types that PP offers to work with so seamlessly.
In my case, this is a project I started editing in FCP 5.5, moved to FCP 7 for a fine cut, then imported to PP CC for further editing and finishing. Lots of subclips. I thought about going back to convert the original clips but not sure PP would find them.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:07:13 pm

All the best Robert. good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]