ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Multicam timecode burn in

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
C. KauffmanMulticam timecode burn in
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:38:26 pm

Hi all,
I'm working on a 3 camera multicam sequence with separate WAV audio files in PP CC 2015. The footage was transcribed using A cam's timecode for reference.

I need to export with timecode burn-in for my client to give notes, is there any way to choose which tracks (or cameras in the multicam seq.) the timecode comes from?

Two of the cameras weren't jammed so I'd like to burn in either A cam or audio timecode as they were jammed to match the raw footage transcription. What's more, when I apply the timecode effect to a Transparent Video it gives me random numbers that seem to repeat and aren't related to anything. It doesn't change when I switch sources and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Multicam timecode burn in
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:03:50 pm

Hi...

is it continuous take ?

if so....add the timecode effect to transparent video clip on a layer above your cut.

set the effect's Timecode source to genereate, and set it to match the start time of the source you want to reference.

this should give you the burn in you need on export.

OR

Adobe Media Encode has the same capability built in under the Effects tab after apply/edit a preset...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

C. KauffmanRe: Multicam timecode burn in
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:44:56 pm

Thanks Alex, it's actually many different takes and my cut uses takes out of order.

Any way to source timecode from one of the video tracks in the multicam sequence or the WAV audio?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 3:38:26 pm

Hi...

Ok so your source Camera A is chopped up in the multicam setup timeline?

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:05:30 pm

Exactly.

In a perfect world all 3 cameras would have had the same timecode, but since only the A cam and sound mixer were jammed I opted to burn in that timecode on the A cam footage for transcription.

Now that I have a multicam rough cut based off of the client's paper edit, I need to burn in A cam or the WAV file's timecode for client approval.

When I applied the Transparent Video and followed Adobe's instructions for TC I get the same random repeating timecode that's not based off of any of the video or audio or even the sequence.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:19:52 pm

well you can apply the time code effect to the media in your source timeline...and set it to source timecode...

but that means in your edit master it would only show up anywhere that camera was the selected one...

not really sure of an easy way to do that...

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Multicam timecode burn in
by on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:10:42 pm

Here's a possibility for you. Copy all your multicam video and place it on a higher track. Quickly go through this new video and make all the cuts come from the A camera, which has the timecode burn already. Add a crop effect and crop out everything except the timecode burn-in. Done.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:10:34 pm

Nice one Herb!

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:04:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

Strangely enough, when I selected A cam for every cut and then flattened the seq. and applied Transparent Video with TC effect, I got the same random TC that's unrelated to anything. I guess TC is removed from the individual video files once they become multicam?

Curious to hear how you guys handle multicam with matching TC from all cameras and audio since PP seems to think original TC is unnecessary. Do you go through and manually set the TC for each multicam clip?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:30:44 pm

Hi..

ok we have a bit of a misunderstading...

You can not apply the effect to transparent....

that will only work if you

a) want to set an arbitrary time
b) referecne the seqeunce timecode

you have to apply the effect directly to the clips

so...apply to 1, set it to use the source timecode, then copy and paste it to the rest of the clips....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:33:22 pm

[C. Kauffman] "Strangely enough, when I selected A cam for every cut and then flattened the seq. and applied Transparent Video with TC effect, I got the same random TC that's unrelated to anything"

Don't use a transparent video layer, put the TC effect directly on the first flattened clip and then add the crop effect. Now copy and paste both effects onto all the other clips of the top track.

[C. Kauffman] "Curious to hear how you guys handle multicam with matching TC from all cameras and audio since PP seems to think original TC is unnecessary. Do you go through and manually set the TC for each multicam clip?"

I almost always shoot with matching TC and then sync with that TC in the Ppro multiclips. In those rare instances that I need to sync by audio I will often use the Clips/Modify/Timecode function to assign synchronous time code. Can't always do this, depends on workflow, but when I can I will.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:07:58 pm

Sorry, I was unclear in my previous post.

For the sake of experimentation I tried flattening the multicam sequence to see if the TC from A cam is preserved when exported if it is the only angle used and found that it is not.

I went back and applied TC to all A cam clips and that works fine. For the sake of this project I'll keep the A cam burn-in for reference and generate new seq. timecode to work off of from here on out. Although I like the crop trick as a fallback option.

With regards to best multicam workflow practices, when all cameras and audio are jammed, I'm assuming you would apply TC effect to all clips as a burn-in for reference, synch with timecode and then create your multicam seq?

As an aside, how do you deal with small amounts of TC drift? I read an interesting post on a Sony forum about the importance of keeping a consistently connected genlock cable between all cameras and audio to avoid small amounts of drift even when TC is hard wired for the duration of the shoot.

Thanks for all the insight!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:25:04 pm

[C. Kauffman] "when all cameras and audio are jammed, I'm assuming you would apply TC effect to all clips as a burn-in for reference, synch with timecode and then create your multicam seq?"

If I needed a TC reference for a client, that would work. It's never been an issue for me, no one has requested it.

[C. Kauffman] "I read an interesting post on a Sony forum about the importance of keeping a consistently connected genlock cable between all cameras and audio to avoid small amounts of drift even when TC is hard wired for the duration of the shoot."

There is definitely drift when cameras are jam-synced and then unplugged - I'm not aware of any drift when cameras are hard wired during a shoot, but then that's not my department.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]