ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteauhow do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:11:29 pm
Last Edited By Nicholas Natteau on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:22:31 pm

I'm currently working with the Lumetri color panel in Premiere Pro CC 2015, using a 17" Flanders Scientific calibrated monitor.

I was able to color correct my footage so that it looks good on the broadcast monitor as well as on the computer. But when I watch it on my consumer Sony TV, skin tones acquire a greenish tint that they don't have on my broadcast calibrated monitor. So I know I must be doing something wrong.

Is it possible to have one color corrected master that looks good across all displays? Or is it preferable to color correct for each platform?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:28:58 pm

If the Flanders monitor is properly calibrated, and if your color correction looks good on it, you need to trust it, and you should be looking at your Sony monitor as needing calibration. There may be some slight ajustments to gamma required when encoding for the Web, but you definitely should not need to color grade between different video monitors.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:45:34 pm

And to add to David's technical answer, "looking good on all displays" is an impossibility. Ignoring the fact that nearly all displays come from the factory with slightly different optimizations (mostly to look good in the showroom) across manufacturers, there is the sad fact that most viewers' setups are straight from the factory - they have no idea that the capability even exists to tweak the color settings.

So you do your best to get color accuracy on your end, and the image ends up getting strained through a sock into a tin can! I worked for many years at a broadcast television station which, you would think, would have the strictest engineering standards for the monitors displaying our signal. Above the front desk in our lobby were 5 monitors - every single one of them having a slightly different color cast!

My conclusion is that you have to get it right to your eye, then make the client happy (with the caveat that it's going to look slightly different everywhere the client sees it). Unless of course they want to pay you to come out and calibrate every monitor in their facility!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 6, 2015 at 4:50:45 pm

We color grade on our Flanders Scientific reference monitors so it looks great. What happens to it after that is wholly up to how people have their TVs and computer monitors set. If they are left in pre-set, they're usually just fine, but if people have messed with the settings on the TVs/Monitors, there's nothing we can do.

Just like delivering broadcast shows. I have no control over it once the show leaves my hands and I've watched episodes of "Good Eats" at friends houses just cringing at how they have their TVs set up. Usually people have the saturation boosted and for some reason a lot of red. But I know that when I delivered the show to Food Network it was perfect. That's all you can do.

If you are delivering for a specific purpose such as a film festival, you can always ask if they have custom specs they'd like you to deliver for. But generally our stuff looks great across all displays so long as it looks good on the FSIs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:02:52 pm

David, Joseph, and Walter,

Thank you all very much for taking the time to explain this in detail to me. My Flanders Scientific LM-1770W monitor is linked to my 2012 iMac via the FS monitor's DVI port. I have it set to Gamma Select "Film", Film Gamma 2.0, Color Temperature 6500K, Back Light 60, DVI Pixel Format YCbCr. Not certain if there's anything wrong in my settings.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:20:47 pm

Ah ha! You're not connecting your Flanders monitor properly... You're not feeding it a true video signal, but rather a computer display from your GPU card. You need a Thunderbolt cinnected I/O device such as an AJA IOXT.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: how do you get your color corrected footage to look good on all displays??? tablet, TV, projector, etc
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:31:25 pm
Last Edited By Nicholas Natteau on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:34:45 pm

Thanks very much David. Would the Ultra Studio 3D box from BlackMagic Design be sufficient? It has SDI out/in as well as HDMI and thunderbolt.

I have the older unit.

pictured here

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:43:44 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:49:24 pm

Yes sir! Actually a better choice if you intend to run Resolve, which will only work with Blackmagic I/O devices.

BTW, get your best price and contact me offline, as I can probably beat that price. FYI, I was working for one company full time in equipment sales, but I now consult, working with numerous equipment resellers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 1:51:12 pm

Thanks very much David will do. I'm actually using Premiere Pro CC 2015 with the new Lumetri Color Panel which seems to be more than enough for my needs as I'm not a professional colorist. Although I'm starting to learn Resolve as well. But I need to contact their Tech Support because all my media clips will instantly go black in Resolve when I open the program. I've seen other people report a similar "black clips" issue. Is it a bug?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:22:36 pm

[Nicholas Natteau] " I need to contact their Tech Support because all my media clips will instantly go black in Resolve when I open the program. I've seen other people report a similar "black clips" issue. Is it a bug?
"

Not that I know of... I'm not sure your odds are very high for getting useful assistance from BM Support, but you should try. However, if I were you, I'd post that black clip issue on the Resolve forum as a new thread.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2015 at 1:15:45 pm

Thanks David will do. I've saw that a several other people on Blackmagic's forum have reported similar black thumbnails where there should be footage.
Will investigate further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]