ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best sequence settings for multiple formats

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn LeighBest sequence settings for multiple formats
by on Jul 4, 2015 at 11:07:44 pm

Basic question here:

I'm coming from the FCP7 (long-form documentary) world where we convert everything to a uniform codec. Now that Premiere Pro has it's wonderful options to edit several formats in one place... what would be the best timeline settings to accommodate all of the following video formats?

Sony AX100, (AVCHD)
Sony EX-1 (XDCAM)
Canon 5D III (H264)
Inspire 1 Drone (MP4)

Thanks very much!!

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Best sequence settings for multiple formats
by on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:38:53 am

Because Premiere Pro is resolution independent, sequence settings are really not something that I focus on. Generally speaking, for 1080 and below, I recommend a sequence setting of whatever flavor you think you are using most.

However, when you get to large frame size (4k and above), then picking the sequence setting needs to be for that camera.

If most of your cameras are 1080 and one or more is 4k, then the question becomes, "what are your output deliverables?" If the output is supposed to be 1080 or something on the web, then I would create a 1080 sequence and have all of your 4k footage 'set' or 'scale' to frame size in the 1080 timeline. If your output is larger than 1080 then, see how your 1080 scales up and if can look good enough (iffy).

Hope that helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Kannan RaghavanRe: Best sequence settings for multiple formats
by on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:49:45 am

I still use ProRes 422 sequence settings in PrPro. You don't have a preset, you have to create one. Cineform is apparently another good codec but I've never used it.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Trevor AsquerthianRe: Best sequence settings for multiple formats
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:26:39 am

You'll definitely want to convert the 5D footage - unless you have some superpowered machine.

I've just spent a couple of weeks with a shed load of AVCIntra 100, 5D, GoPro, UncleTomCobbley and all - it can get very lumpy at times unless converted to a less processor/memory heavy codec (ProRes & DNX being the two favourites).

If you set your previews up to be one of those two then you can use them when exporting. Which can save quite a lot of time.

Personally I often export a section, reimport and cut in on a higher track rather than render - it's quicker and more robust in my experience

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]