ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

The exporting in Premiere is very slow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will GrishamThe exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 7:37:39 pm

Hi,

I'm having troubles exporting videos in Premiere Pro. It takes a very long time (8-9 min) to export even a short video H.264 720p video. This is a huge problem for me since I want to make a 10 hour long loop video for Youtube. My computer's got Intel i5-3210M 2.50GHz and 6 GB RAM. Do you have any tips for me how to shorten the exporting time?

Best regards

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: The exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:27:45 pm

Hi Will,

That's pretty much how it goes, a 10 hour video is VERY long, and to be honest, not what most editing system where built for. You should expect a few days of export time, especially if you have any effects/color correction.

If you are doing doing this on a regular basis, and are getting paid for it, you should consider a new Mac Pro on the Apple side, or a custom multi CPU PC with a heavy GPU graphics card on the PC side.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Will GrishamRe: The exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:41:15 pm

Thank you for your response, Vince!

Yes, a 10 h video is very long, you're right. Let's say I would use an Mac Pro, what would the export time be then? Any idea?

There are a lot of 10 h videos on Youtube and not everyone are using a program as powerful as Premiere. Are there maybe other ways of making a 10 h vid? Or are all of them waiting +20 hour for the vid to export if they don't have very powerful computers? (I'm hoping there is a less time consuming way to do a 10 h vid you see :))

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: The exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:51:44 pm

Hard to tell how long it would take, it really depends on so many factors. Blur, for example, will drastically slow things down. As well as filters like Magic Bullets, etc.

If you are not up/dowconverting, make sure to uncheck "Maximum render quality". In most cases, I can get real time or better export times on a Mac Pro, even an older one (2011 and later).

I've seen a 10 hours export on a 2 hour video not so long ago :-)

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2015 at 8:57:16 pm

Thank you for your tips. I will uncheck "Maximum render quality" in the future since I'm not up/dowconverting. A 2-3 hour export would be a dream scenario for me. It doesn't seem like it will be reality in the near future though :P

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: The exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:21:16 pm

[Will Grisham] "There are a lot of 10 h videos on Youtube and not everyone are using a program as powerful as Premiere."

Yes, and I'm pretty sure those exports are taking 10 hours, if not longer, for those people.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: The exporting in Premiere is very slow
by on Jul 2, 2015 at 9:06:19 am

Hey Will,

I find that if I've got any links to an After Effects comp, render timings goes out of the window.

[Will Grisham] "Intel i5-3210M 2.50GHz and 6 GB RAM"

Not great, but not bad either. Rather than buying a completely new computer I would suggest looking at beefing memory up to 16GB and check what hard-drives you are using. As in are you on a USB-2 external? Or internal SSD - either can make a massive difference on render times.

[Will Grisham] "I'm having troubles exporting videos in Premiere Pro. It takes a very long time (8-9 min) to export even a short video H.264 720p video. T"

What is your source footage?
Do you have Adobe Media Encoder?
And have you considered another target format for the final render? I am on a PC too, and QT H264 does not look as good as I would like it to. Maybe instead try a high-resolution Windows Media Player format to see if that speeds things up?

[Will Grisham] "I want to make a 10 hour long loop video for Youtube."

Not usre why anyone would want to do a loop video on YouTube - would love to hear and see the purpose for it. However, 10 hours in 720P is going to be one massive file. So it might be worth considering a shorter version.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:10:39 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'll check whether I've got any links to an After Effects comp. I don't think so, but I might have missed it.

I've read that using an external hard-drive might speed things up. I haven't yet figured out how to export to that specific hard drive though. Tried to do it earlier but couldn't seem to find any options in Premiere allowing exporting to an external hard drive. I'll make another Google search though.

Source footage is another video from Youtube that I've looped a crazy amount of times. I can try to export it to another format, hopefully that will make a big change to the render times.

I know it must sound quite weird looping a video for so long time. It's just a Youtube joke I suppose. The maximum length for a video on Youtube has been 10 hours and therefore people have started to upload 10 hours long videos. I know it's stupid but it kind of opens up to new kind of humor (you can make many funny comments simply about the videos length and how you feel after watching it for, let's say, 5 hours).

Thank you for your tips, Mads! I'll give them a try soon enough!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]