ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Recutting in Premiere with .aaf audio file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon GriffinRecutting in Premiere with .aaf audio file
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:47:12 pm

I'm recutting a short film at this time in Adobe Premiere Pro 2014. It is not a dramatic recut; the only significant changes are being made to the first half of the film. They are visual cuts in nature: obviously audio is effected, but I am not adding additional audio or adding crazy audio effects.

Here's my situation: I opened the project file on my drive, not the one my editor initially worked off. He backed up everything to this drive once we completed the previous cut of the project. I have been able to successfully reconnect all the necessary video files, but almost none of the original audio files. You could say why don't I just re-import all the raw audio media; unfortunately, easier said than done. While it is all there, many of the audio somehow (bizarrely) got transcoded so that it appears on the drive under the same file name, over and over and over. I imagine this is some kind of snafu with Premiere.

So what I'm doing is recutting the film with the individual video clips, but using only the .aaf export of the audio from the sound mix of the film several months back. (why did we sound mix an incomplete film? Time to admit that this is a student film. We had to meet certain class requirements). So that sound mixed .aaf file has been imported in to the Premiere project file and is being used in the timeline, and cut as appropriate according to the video. Since the additional audio cuts are relatively simple and minor, this method of audio editing--in theory, and so far in practice--is working. I do, however, want some assurance that, provided that I don't run in to some precise audio cut that can only be done with individual clips, I could simply picture lock the film and export it with no harm done. Would there be a loss in quality after exporting, because I re-exported an aaf? Do I even need to undergo another sound mix, or can I bypass that process now that I worked from audio that was already mixed?

Answers to the two questions above would be appreciated. If anybody has a theory as to why the audio transcoded in such a strange way, that might also be helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]