ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Just how much does Premiere really use the graphics card Memory?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach MeissnerJust how much does Premiere really use the graphics card Memory?
by on Jul 1, 2015 at 12:04:46 am
Last Edited By Zach Meissner on Jul 1, 2015 at 12:37:44 am

I do most of my work in Premiere and After Effects and am getting a new iMac 5k. I'm torn between an SSD and the standard M290x graphics card, and a 1TB fusion drive and the upgraded M295x graphics card.

When using iStat menus and observing the graphics card memory usage, it's near zero when rendering. And the same when running the Cinebench 3d GPU test. Here's a screenshot of that, high FPS, no memory usage:

The biggest applicable difference I can tell is the 290 has 2GB of GDDR5 memory and the 295 has 4GB. In the real world usage of these applications, will the 295 show it's worth of higher price?

http://www.lab316.com

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Just how much does Premiere really use the graphics card Memory?
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:36:52 pm

The GPU will get more use when operations that specifically use it are happening...lots of effects, etc. AE will typically show less activity in GPU than Premiere Pro unless you're using specific features.

With Macs, I usually recommend getting the biggest and latest as they aren't exactly upgradeable, but your software will continue to evolve...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]