ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Sony EX1 files...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
melissaSony EX1 files...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:48:20 pm

Premiere Pro CC / Sony EX1 workflow questions...

We are working with Sony EX1 BPAV files. Up until now, on other projects, when we were still on FCP 7 we would use the Sony XDCam Transfer application to convert these files to .Mov files. Although the process is more time consuming than working with raw camera files, there were some benefits. The audio channels after conversion are separated, we can work with the .Mov files in the transcription software Inqscribe, and my guess is the .Mov files are more stable to work with... (Not to mention the annoying BPAV file structure in the finder is not very helpful.)

With the new mac OS the old Sony XDCam Transfer doesn't work. I guess really it was meant for use in FCP 7 anyway. I've downloaded the XDCam Browser, but frankly I'm a little lost. Do I really want to work with these files just as they came out of the camera in Premiere? It shouldn't be a problem that I mix them with the converted .Mov files in the same timeline, right? How do I solve the Inqscribe problem? What am I missing here?

Thanks, as always, in advance.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Sony EX1 files...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:13:04 pm

Hi Melissa,
You do not need to transcode these files.

First, make sure the entire SD card is copied to your HD. Then, ingest the files via the Media Browser not File > Import or by dragging the files in from Finder/Explorer.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Sony EX1 files...
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:26:26 pm

I don't know what an 'inqscribe' problem actually is...

As long as you have an Apple pro app on the machine (FCP, FCPX, Compressor, Motion, etc), the rewrapped mov files should work in PPro. PPro will actually work better with the native camera files as it gets QT out of the way.

When you use the Content Browser, you have folder/directory navigation inside the software...it will work just like the old XDcam transfer software did, but now you will just simply drag the clips from one window into a window of the destination directory. All the selected clips will transfer and the proper directory structure (BPAV folder, etc) will automatically be setup in the destination directory.

Inside PPro, the best way to bring the footage in will be to use the Media Browser as you won't have to dive down into the subdirectories to see the clips, Media Browser recognizes the folder structure and once you get to the folder where the BPAV folder is, Media Browser will just show you the clips without all the nested data folders, etc.

You'll have to do this about 1 time to realize how much more efficient it is to work with these native camera files.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]