ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris CellaHaving lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 1:54:21 pm

http://i.imgur.com/mTbJLDK.jpg

Above is a still from the clip I'm trying to key. I have used this admittedly crappy blue screen setup before and I didn't have issues. Now I am having a difficult time separating him from the screen. When I am able to separate him, the key is so awful that his image is unusable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:02:06 pm

Lighting is everything.
That does not look well.

Also, .h264 codecs are a poor choice for keying.
You want 422 color or better.

Advice;

rotoscope. Take it into AE and make a tight mask around him, key frame it for the entire clip. Then key out what little is left. Feather.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris CellaRe: Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:04:40 pm

Ugh, I really hope it won't come to rotoscoping. This is a long interview. I'd be better off time wise reshooting it than rotoscoping the whole thing. Thanks for the comment.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:18:56 pm

Super-Tight Junk Mattes is an old technique, but it often works.

Skip the rotoscoping, and have far fewer pixels to process for key. Worth a try.

And at least 4:2:2 colorspace will help, for sure.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:12:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After tinkering with many different settings I think I got something usable. Junk mattes definitely came in handy. There is some spill on the subject, but I think I can work with it in color correction.

Return to posts index

Jesse de BakkerRe: Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:18:49 pm

A little bit off-topic, but how does the GH4 work for you?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:45:50 am

I wish I would of tested it before I bought it. It's a good and useful camera but I still prefer the sensor on my Canon 5dmk3 and even my 7D. It's not even about depth of field, the image just looks better in my opinion. Even at the lower resolution. If I had an interested buyer right now I would sell it in place of maybe the new Sony full frame 4k camera or a Canon 4k option. I got resolution happy in purchasing it without having much experience with micro 4/3's cameras. I've seen others get beautiful footage out of them and my stuff doesn't look bad, I just prefer a larger sensor.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Having lots of trouble with Ultra Keying GH4 Footage...
by on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:40:51 pm

I'm glad you got it to work...in a case like this when you have so much blue spill on the subject, I'd have put a color correction effect upstream from the key to manipulate that a bit.

Rotoscoping is pretty time-intensive relative to just working up a reasonable color correction "pre" filter if you can.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]