ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

4k is too sharp... Options?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy David4k is too sharp... Options?
by on Jun 28, 2015 at 7:02:03 pm

My new 4k camera is way too sharp and I like that filmic look. I turn sharpening down in the Lumetri panel and that does work a good bit, it also makes alias and moire pretty much go away.

However, is there any other options? Is there some way to soften the image to make it look filmic? My 1080p camera, which is an A7R has no AA filter and also has the sharpening problem and moire and alias, I can get rid of the moire with it by turning the sharpening down but it still looks way too sharp because its such high resolution camera.

But the 4k camera is on a whole different level of sharpness. I'm wondering what the options are in post.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: 4k is too sharp... Options?
by on Jun 28, 2015 at 7:14:44 pm
Last Edited By walter biscardi on Jun 28, 2015 at 7:16:51 pm

be sure to shoot in 23.98 fps and look for a RAW or LOG mode in the colors. The film look starts there and ends with really good color grading.

This sneak peek of "Fork U" was shot on the Panasonic GH4 in 4k and we shot in 23.98 using I believe a LOG type of color mode. Can't remember the exact name as the cameras were rented, but this is completely UN color graded at the moment. It's the video on the left.

http://www.contemporaryliving.tv/shows/fork-u/

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tommy DavidRe: 4k is too sharp... Options?
by on Jun 28, 2015 at 9:26:28 pm

I do all of that and turning the sharpness down does help but it is still sharp man, real sharp. How are you transcoding your footage into pro res or are you using native? My computer does it better with pro res and I've had to run it through FCPX to transcode it and then put it in premiere and I'd rather not have told to do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]