ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

White Balancing A Office Set

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli VazquezWhite Balancing A Office Set
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 5:56:23 pm
Last Edited By Eli Vazquez on Jun 23, 2015 at 5:58:14 pm

I am shooting in a office set and can't seem to find a color temperature to balance the overheads with my lights.
I started with Daylight Kinos w/ full green gel but that didn't work. After trial and error we were using tungsten with full green but I still get the green color.
The only way to make it look decent it using the fluorescent pre-set
Tungsten by itself is magenta and with even a 1/2 green it still is a too green.

Wondering if anyone else had any issue with these?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: White Balancing A Office Set
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:16:12 pm

Getting your lights gelled to be a similar color is only step one of two. You still have to white balance your camera, even if your light all matches--getting it all to look fluorescent green only makes it match. White balancing is what gets your color to look neutral.

Get all your non-fluorescent sources gelled with a fluorescent CTF gel, and use the fluorescent WB preset on your camera, or do a manual white balance. Even if there are minor differences in hue, you should be able to get a solid WB and grade it to your liking. The lower of your two images looks pretty good to me--is that the one where you used the preset?

Return to posts index

Eli VazquezRe: White Balancing A Office Set
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:24:55 pm

Thanks for the response! Shooting on 5D by the way. The lower image was just straight tungsten. Pardon my ignorance but what is the ctf gel? Just heard of cto and ctb.

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: White Balancing A Office Set
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:35:44 pm

CTF is just referring to a fluorescent gel.

Yeah, so on the 5D, you have several options; use the Auto WB (not recommended when you need the color control), do a manual WB (more in a sec), use the preset, or set Kelvin manually.

Doing a manual WB is a pain in the ass on Canon DSLRs. You have to take a photo of the scene, then go into a menu to select the area of the photo that you want to use as the manual white balance. It sucks.

Frankly, you're better off just using the Fluorescent preset. It will be close enough that you can nudge your footage one way or the other in the edit.

The other option is to set a Kelvin number manually, and then use the WB Shift option to offset the green-to-magenta shift manually.

I'd just use the Fluorescent preset.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]