ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Unusually large preview files rendered

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff BernierUnusually large preview files rendered
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 5:29:43 pm

I am using Premiere Pro CC. I am having a problem with the preview files. They are huge for each project. For example I have 50 minute video shot in HD pro res HQ and when I render the project my preview file folder is 700 gig! I know how to clean it. I delete the folder when done with the edit. They were never this large before. I change the file save location recently to my media drive. THe files are rendered and saved as .avi files, that doesn't seem right. What am I missing? I am on a PC Windows 7. Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael RonRe: Unusually large preview files rendered
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 6:59:26 am

If you go into Sequence > Sequence Settings, you can change the "Preview file format" at the bottom of the menu - I'm on a Mac so I'm happy using Quicktime ProRes, but you can change it to whatever format you like.
If you don't tend to use your preview files on export, you can just test a few and use whatever format works best for you (good enough quality, small file size).

Note that after you do that, you'll need to quit Premiere and manually navigate to your media cache location - remove all cache and render files, then relaunch Premiere to get it to recreate them.

Return to posts index

Jeff BernierRe: Unusually large preview files rendered
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 2:28:57 pm

Thanks for the reply and that makes since but it is grayed out where it says "preview file format" and it won't let me click on it or change. It is now at "Black Magic AVI" I have a black magic sdi express card on this computer. Any idea how to change it? My last video was an hour 15 and the preview files took up 900 gig!

Return to posts index

Michael RonRe: Unusually large preview files rendered
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 3:08:57 pm

It's possible you're using a sequence preset that can only use AVI files for preview..
Can you take a screenshot of your sequence settings window?

You also mentioned your files are ProRes and you're on a PC.. Do you have the ProRes codecs installed? Are you able to create a ProRes sequence?
I'm on a Mac so I'm not sure how Premiere handles ProRes on a PC, but AFIAK it should work either way as long as you have the codecs installed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]