ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Renaming clips didn't work - suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent BeesonRenaming clips didn't work - suggestions?
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 12:19:12 am

Used latest Prelude to try to rename avchd clips - about 150 clips, did transfer to a folder I designated...but when I open that new folder in latest Premiere Pro, it shows the same old avchd canon C100 file names such as 00001.mts, etc, not the new names I gave the clips in Prelude - but when I open the Prelude project from that same folder, it shows correct updated new names...

how can I transfer, not transcode 150 clips with new names that'll override/replace original c100 file names?

thoughts?

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Renaming clips didn't work - suggestions?
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 12:26:22 am

Trash the media cache.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kent BeesonRe: Renaming clips didn't work - suggestions?
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 12:45:45 am

I've done that and still when I import into latest PP CC 2015 from new folder of transferred clips it shows up as 0001.MTS, etc not the new clip names I gave them in 2015 Prelude. But when I open them in Prelude, the new clip names appear, not the MTS ones...

Any other thoughts? I don't think I messed up when I transferred the clips to a new folder - they show fine in Prelude, just not in PP CC 15.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2015 at 2:28:06 am

here's a pic to show what I'm talking about - so when you transfer only, not transcode, I take it the new names are only good in Prelude, but don't at all affect the original name of the MTS file? Have a look at the bottom left name then it's file in "reveal in Finder" name on the right - what's going on?

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Renaming clips didn't work - suggestions?
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:03:16 am
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:05:44 am

Send the clips from Prelude to PPro. Or import a clip through the Media Browser to see it in your project with the new name. You see, it's not affecting the original metadata it's adding new and different metadata. Use the tools you have. They all work together nicely. Everything is working as it should. This has nothing to do with transfer/transcode.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:07:37 am

I see so the transferred clips won't have their name changed, it's only adding data that PP CC or Prelude see? Issue is I need to hand off these raw clips to another editor who is on AVID , but I want him to have them properly named - will these renames magically appear as such in his AVID edit or will it see it as the 0001.MTS, etc files?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:24:28 am

I've never loaded an Adobe tagged camera card into an Avid but I'm inclined to say no, they won't. But, because you haven't actually renamed them (ie. haven't wiped out the camera generated name) you can still be on the same page because YOU still have that info. You refer to a clip by the name you gave it and then look at the metadata to see what the camera generated name is. I don't know what level of communication you need to have with the other editor, but you've got options that they don't.

"Renaming" is really more like "Add some descriptive text that will show up where the name used to be, but don't worry we're not wiping out the original name."

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:49:27 am

Now if you want to make it easy on the Avid partner, transcode the clips from Prelude to DNxHD and they will get the name you've added. Select all the clips in the Project pane, go under File in the menu bar and choose export. You'll get a dialogue box that will let you choose format/codec/location and select your preferences. This will launch AME and all your clips will be transcoded with the new names to wherever you choose. This doesn't affect your original .mts files at all.

Yes, you could have done this during the original ingest with an additional transcode/new destination assignment, but I think sometimes the names don't change outside of Adobe.

This way they most definitely do.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:51:38 am

thanks very much for your help - one of these two ways will work, thanks much

Return to posts index

Michael RonRe: Renaming clips didn't work - suggestions?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 7:22:50 am

If you are on a mac, and don't mind the file names changing, you can also do batch-renaming via Automator - that way you don't need to wait for transcoding:
https://fellows.knightscience.org/tutorials/batch-rename-files-using-apple-...

In case you might need to refer to the original file names, copy the files to a new location before renaming them.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:02:29 pm

thanks very much - I didn't know about that

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]