ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cow News DroidNews: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:27:02 am

Unprecedented Innovation and Integration Across Creative Cloud Desktop and Mobile Apps; New Adobe Stock Service Debuts

(San Jose, CA--June 16, 2015) Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today launched a milestone release of its flagship Adobe Creative Cloud tools and services. The 2015 release of Creative Cloud includes major updates to Adobe’s industry-defining desktop tools, including Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, Premiere Pro CC and InDesign CC; as well as new connected mobile apps for iOS and Android.

The company also shipped Adobe Stock, the industry’s first stock content service to be integrated directly into the creative process and the tools creatives use every day (see separate press release). In addition, Adobe announced an expanded Creative Cloud enterprise offering that includes enterprise-grade administration, security, collaboration and publishing services for design-driven brands, businesses and large organizations.

“The 2015 release of Creative Cloud is packed with innovation. Adobe Stock, our brand new stock service, makes 40 million photos, vector graphics and illustrations accessible directly within your favorite CC desktop apps. Our CreativeSync technology deepens the connections between desktop apps and mobile apps on iOS and Android; and major updates to Creative Cloud’s infrastructure and administrative capabilities make this an essential upgrade for enterprise customers,” said David Wadhwani, senior vice president, Digital Media, Adobe. “Creative Cloud 2015 is our most powerful and comprehensive release to date.”

At the heart of Creative Cloud is Adobe CreativeSync, a signature technology that intelligently syncs creative assets: files, photos, fonts, vector graphics, brushes, colors, settings, metadata and more. With CreativeSync, assets are instantly available, in the right format, wherever designers need them – across desktop, web and mobile apps. Available exclusively in Creative Cloud, CreativeSync means work can be kicked off in any connected Creative Cloud mobile app or CC desktop tool; picked up again later in another; and finished in the designer’s favorite CC desktop software.

Desktop Tools Take Giant Leap Forward

With the 2015 release of Creative Cloud, Adobe magic and Mercury performance provide speed and technology breakthroughs across 15 CC desktop applications, including:

· Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, Photoshop CC introduces Artboards, the best way to design cross-device user experiences in a single Photoshop document and quickly preview them on a device; and a preview release of Photoshop Design Space, a sleek new work environment focused on the needs of mobile app and web site designers.

· Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC both gain the new Dehaze feature, which appeared first as a MAX sneak in October 2014. Dehaze, eliminates fog and haze from photos, including underwater shots, for startlingly clear images. Haze can also be added to a photo for artistic effect.

· Premiere Pro CC furthers its lead in the market with the addition of the Lumetri Color panel for powerful color corrections using intuitive sliders and other simple controls; and Morph Cut, which makes it easier to deliver polished interview content by smoothing out jump cuts in talking-head shots to create a cohesive, polished sequence.

· After Effects CC now has Uninterrupted Preview to allow artists to adjust a composition’s properties and even resize panels without impacting playback. Also, the groundbreaking Adobe Character Animator brings 2D figures to life using a webcam to track facial movements, record dialog and apply movements in real time onto a pre-configured character.

· Illustrator CC is now 10 times faster and 10 times more precise than CS6. Powered by dramatic boosts to its Mercury Performance Engine, users can now pan and zoom smoothly without delays. With the new Chart tool (preview), designers can also create beautiful custom charts and share them with others via CC Libraries.

· InDesign CC gets its own Mercury performance surge with zooming, scrolling, and paging through complex documents now twice as fast. InDesign now also allows users to publish and distribute documents with a single click.

· Dreamweaver CC has new responsive web design capabilities that let designers quickly lay out and build production-ready sites that adapt to any screen size.

· Adobe Muse now includes instant access to premium fonts from Typekit.

· And much, much more. Additional updates to these and other CC desktop applications make this one of the biggest releases in years.

Mobile to Desktop Workflows Enhanced with Android Support, New Mobile Apps

Since Creative Cloud was introduced in 2012, Adobe has championed the idea that mobile devices should be integral to the creative process, with free companion mobile apps working seamlessly with CC desktop tools. Adobe today released Brush CC, Shape CC, Color CC and Photoshop Mix on Android for the first time, bringing connected mobile workflows to millions of creatives worldwide. Adobe has also updated many of its popular Creative Cloud mobile apps for iPhone and iPad, including Adobe Comp CC, Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Sketch, Illustrator Draw, Brush CC, Shape CC and Color CC.

In addition to these updates, Adobe debuted Adobe Hue CC today. Hue CC provides an easy way to capture and share production-quality lighting and color schemes – for video, film and broadcast – by using an iPhone camera and then applying these light and color moods into a Premiere Pro CC or After Effects CC project.

Adobe Stock Content Service Launched, With Deep Creative Cloud Integration

Adobe Creative Cloud is evolving into a vibrant global marketplace. Adobe Talent, introduced in 2014, connects the world’s best creatives with work opportunities from major brands and agencies; and today the company launched Adobe Stock, the first stock content service to be integrated directly into the creative process and the tools that creatives use every day (see separate press release). Now creatives can jump-start projects, with access to 40 million images, right within tools such as Photoshop CC, InDesign CC and Illustrator CC. Adobe also announced it will offer industry-leading rates to photographers and designers contributing content to Adobe Stock.

Creative Cloud Enabling the Digital Transformation of Enterprises

Major enhancements to Creative Cloud for enterprise were also announced today: a solution for large commercial, education and government customers who must radically speed the development and publishing of customer experiences, as part of their digital transformation strategies. This edition includes all the product features from today’s Creative Cloud 2015 release, plus expanded security options and deep connections with Adobe Digital Publishing Solution (DPS) and Adobe Marketing Cloud. Two new security capabilities ensure protection of corporate assets, including customer-managed encryption keys and a new managed service hosting option, which offers dedicated storage behind a customer’s firewall. Creative Cloud for enterprise also supports an upcoming release of DPS, empowering existing teams in organizations to rapidly design and publish mobile apps without writing code. A public beta of this major update to DPS is available this week, with more information available at http://adobe.ly/dpsnextgen. Content from Creative Cloud for enterprise also syncs with Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), a key component of Adobe Marketing cloud, to accelerate marketing campaigns by streamlining creative-to-marketing workflows.

Pricing and Availability

Today’s updates to CC desktop and mobile apps are immediately available for download by Creative Cloud members as part of their membership at no additional cost. Membership plans are available for individuals, students, teams, educational institutions, government agencies and enterprises. When adding Adobe Stock to any paid yearly Creative Cloud membership plan, creatives can save up to 40 percent over purchasing stock content separately. For pricing details, visit: https://creative.adobe.com/plans. An innovative web experience for customers showcases the new features and capabilities launched today, at makeit.adobe.com.

About Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visit http://www.adobe.com.

###

© 2015 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe and the Adobe logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

###

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenExciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 11:01:03 am

Un-ticked the box for removing old versions, as in keep old versions of the software - for now.

Now waiting for the 15 apps to finish installing...

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid
http://mads-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.co.uk

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:06:45 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Un-ticked the box for removing old versions, as in keep old versions of the software - for now."
Good call Mads. This is not an official adobe statement, but my opinion is that anyone working in video/audio/effects and in the middle of any important project(s) should do the same. (because our work tends to be especially project/version dependent... compared to a PSD or AI file or something)

And in case there's any question about what to do...
BEFORE YOU INSTALL CC 2015, choose to keep versions side-by-side or overwrite. Details: http://bit.ly/1TphtgU

Software Quality Assurance - Digital Video at Adobe Systems

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:37:35 pm

Hey James,

Thank you.

Can report back that it all installed smoothly. And my projects are still opening in PPRO CC 2014 - although have already converted current project to 2015 - because I can :-)

The morph cut effect needs a bit of getting used to. The new grading tools look great.

However, I un-ticked the box to bring in settings from 2014, which was bit silly - need to sort out my shortcuts etc (as in back to 2014 and save those).

However I could only find the animation tool in AE, and that crashed straight out as it thought I hadn't signed in?
I have been looking forward to playing with that - will Adobe bring it out as a stand-alone app?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:49:24 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "The morph cut effect needs a bit of getting used to."
Yes it does. We'll have official blog and knowledge base articles coming out soon which should help you get the most out of morph cut. Look for those on coming out in the next week or so.

Software Quality Assurance - Digital Video at Adobe Systems

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:23:32 pm

So true.

Here's a warning, folks: DO NOT BLINDLY INSTALL CC 2015! IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY UNINSTALL YOUR PREVIOUS CC APPLICATIONS!

You must first uncheck a little box. If you do not, you lose the previous versions.

I see the greasy fingerprints of the Adobe Marketing department behind this.

The ploy even has plausible deniability: "Oh, we didn't want our beloved subscribers to run out of storage space with the older applications. The sparkling-new CC 2015 is just ever so good! Once our beloved subscribers use CC 2015, they'd never look back!"

Yeah. Right. I suspect Adobe has something else up its sleeve with this seemingly-innocent move. I don't trust Adobe's highest levels of management for a second.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy FieldRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 5:40:49 pm

Or an alternative "non conspiracy" Theory. Many plugins (NewBlue for example) don't move to the right place with new installs so they opted for this as the default to save headaches. I've had to reinstall NewBlue plugins with each upgrade...until now -- this worked perfectly.

And the Warning comes up saying it will do just that (remove old apps) ..and provides an advance setting to have it not do that.

Don't understand the immediate negative reaction to all things Adobe. Worse comes to worse, you can always download and re-install the old versions if you need to.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Curtis CosbyRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:04:15 pm

[Andy Field] "Worse comes to worse, you can always download and re-install the old versions if you need to."

I wouldn't be so sure on this part. I just put up a post. My desktop app won't give me access to the older version. Unless I am missing something.

Curtis Cosby
Multimedia Assistant

Return to posts index

Ryan HolmesRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:27:47 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Holmes on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:36:49 pm

[Curtis Cosby] "I wouldn't be so sure on this part. I just put up a post. My desktop app won't give me access to the older version. Unless I am missing something."

It's listed under "Find Additional Apps - Previous Versions." You just click on any of those programs and it gives you the option of which version you want to download. Or you can login into your account through a web browser and initiate the download from creative.adobe.com. Screen shot below:

[Dave LaRonde] "You must first uncheck a little box. If you do not, you lose the previous versions."

You don't lose anything. If it uninstalls a previous version, you can reinstall it with a few clicks. Adobe hasn't taken anything away from you.

The install box for CC2015 could not be any clearer. There was nothing underhanded about Adobe's approach. I've added screenshots so people can at least see what the dialog boxes look like. For every app you install it prompts you with this dialogue box:

And then if you explore the "Advanced Options" you get this:

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:31:29 pm

Can't find that box....where do you uncheck the box that blows away the old versions?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Ryan HolmesRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 11:52:54 pm

Rich - just click "Advanced Options" and then uncheck the second box. Then Adobe won't uninstall previous versions. See my screen shots above (it is checked in my screen shots).

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Michael SacciRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 12:47:06 am

If you blindly do anything you are the one at fault. Why would the marketing team even care about this feature. Let's stop being babies and take responsibly for our own actions. Which even if you do delete the old version you can just reinstall them. While I would vote to reverse the default myself to leaving things installed it is no big deal.

The Creative Cloud concept for the company that I work for has been a great success. I have my issues with Premiere but overall I happy with it and excited about some of the new features.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 6:05:40 pm

Thanks Mads,

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Un-ticked the box for removing old versions, as in keep old versions of the software - for now."

Thanks for bringing awareness to this issue.

Also see these blogs:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/keeping-previous-versions-insta...

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/15/creative-cloud-delivering-more-...

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2015/06/16/installation-of-cc-2015-appl...

Cheers,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Andy FieldRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:13:54 pm

Kevin ..outstanding update....made the best NLE out there even better. The Morph cut is something AVID could do for a while (and I would frequently bring clips into AVID to do this...and only this...AVID for my taste is still too clunky) No longer need to do that with this great addition.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:15:53 pm

Kevin..one other question...with the new color correction tools, is there a tutorial on creating the Pleasantville effect with them (keep one color..the rest black and white) Can easily do that with the still included three way color corrector and the secondary color correction...Thanks

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 3:34:58 pm

Hi Andy,
I don't believe secondary color correction is a feature of the Lumetri Color panel. Please suggest that in a feature request: http://addobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:35:42 pm

Thank you for the information as always Kevin. If you have the time, I have a couple of quick questions for you, pertaining to Photoshop subscription. It looks promising and putting my differences aside from subscription only, very much interested in giving the CC a try for a few months.

Do not need After Effects or Premiere Pro at this time. Just have other stuff that meets my needs but very interested in Photoshop. Thanks again for your contribution, very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:58:27 pm

Sure, David. What questions do you have?

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: Exciting Re: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:26:42 pm

Is there a 6 month membership plan or is that annual? Also, does this include Lightroom? I am thinking of purchasing a permanent license of Lightroom, if it is still available.

Looking to use Photoshop on a temporary basis but might go long term. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:10:52 pm

[David Mathis] "Is there a 6 month membership plan or is that annual? Also, does this include Lightroom? I am thinking of purchasing a permanent license of Lightroom, if it is still available.

Looking to use Photoshop on a temporary basis but might go long term. Please let me know if you have any questions.
"

To get the photography bundle, you need to commit to a year. Yes, it includes Lightroom, but like CS6, no new features are being added to the application.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:36:44 am

Is there a 6 month membership plan or is that annual? Also, does this include Lightroom? I am thinking of purchasing a permanent license of Lightroom, if it is still available.

Thank you!

EDIT

Just signed up for the annual plan for Photoshop and Lightroom, was painless. I was looking for a monthly plan but was unable to do so. Not sure if it is possible to switch at this point. So that is one question. The other is will te annual plan auto start over again or is there an option to do just one year without the need to cancel after the year plan is up? Thank you!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:16:55 pm

[David Mathis] "Just signed up for the annual plan for Photoshop and Lightroom, was painless. I was looking for a monthly plan but was unable to do so. Not sure if it is possible to switch at this point. So that is one question. The other is will te annual plan auto start over again or is there an option to do just one year without the need to cancel after the year plan is up? Thank you!"

There is a Photoshop Only month to month plan, which is $29.99 mo. Contact customer support if you want to switch, but I would advise you to do this ASAP. Up to you.

You can do one year and then stop. We will send you emails as to when your subscription is ending, so you can terminate your subscription at that point. Please contact us to change anything having to do with your subscription here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56:21 pm

Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. I have decided to go with the anual plan. Signing up was a pleasant experience and no issues thus far. Thank you again.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2015 at 3:54:34 pm

Glad to hear it, David.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Rainer SchubertRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:12:55 pm

[Cow News Droid] "Adobe is changing the world"

Former Adobes Slogan was "We love choice".
Now they change the world.
Indeed.

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:06:56 am

I have the ability to purchase the Adobe CC at student/teacher rates for my non-profit organization. I currently use CS5.5 (I know it's old, but works). I have Premiere Pro CC (pre 2014) and Lightroom 5.7. I am very skeptical about taking the plunge into the CC world as I know, once I go all in, there's no return to the standalone apps. If I decide to cancel my membership b/c Adobe goes on a price gouging spree or I'm not happy with them, I cannot chose to cancel my membership (due to contracts), but also b/c I will lose access to all my files because the apps will no longer work (especially using new features not in older versions).

I also know that the standalone apps will only work for so long and eventually I'll be forced against my own free will to upgrade and subscribe or to use other third party apps like Corel Draw, Sketch, Apple products, etc. (too many learning curves)

So I would like to ask is it worth it? I'm either all in or all out at this point.

With this post discussion, it does scare me a little about the updates, but I also don't want my hard drive littered with massive CC apps and multiple versions to open older files.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen@Matt Kornegay Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:19:25 am
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:34:52 am

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the COW - I see that you joined up to make your post.

First of all, I think I just liked your post by mistake - one should look at the monitor whilst clicking reply. Early mornings here and all that. So don't take my "Like" as an endorsement :-)

In regards to your post, I am confused as to whether you are making statement, or asking a question. There are a number of misleading facts in your post, which I will correct. Please don't be offended, but hopefully it will help you decide.

Matt: "I have Premiere Pro CC (pre 2014) and Lightroom 5.7. I am very skeptical about taking the plunge into the CC world as I know"

Unless you have a cracked illegal copy of Premiere Pro CC (pre 2014) or is already a subscriber, then this is not possible. It is most likely that you are using either Premiere Elements or a CS version.

Matt: "If I decide to cancel my membership b/c Adobe goes on a price gouging spree"

This sounds like a knee-jerk statement for which you have no foundation or proof of to make. If anything, Adobe have dropped the annual cost of CC v that of the old CS. Added to that, Adobe the company have made it very clear that their strategy is to get more subscribers in order to improve revenue. At no point have they talked about raising their prices. In any case, you are looking for the 1/2 price NGO version - so would you care about this enough to make that representation?

On your point about contracts: You can either settle for a month-by-month contract or an annual pass. Like with many other things in life, such as mobile phone contracts, there may be a penalty of an early cancellation - however, I am sure that the charity loving people at Adobe would look kindly at a good cause and do everything to help your organization.

Matt: "but also b/c I will lose access to all my files because the apps will no longer work (especially using new features not in older versions)."

Why this piece of misleading propaganda keeps on being repeated, I do not know. If you search forums, you would already know this. One more time:
You do NOT loose access to all your files if you stop using the Adobe apps.

Provided that you use your own storage, all of your original source materials will remain untouched - video, audio, JPeg, Music, graphics, someone standing on their head - you name it; it will still be there and you will still be able to access it.

About the Adobe project file: Like everything else, if you don't update your computer, its operating system, the virus protection or the subscription to your Adobe apps - then yes, the software will stop working.

BUT the project files will always be accessible through either taking an affordable short term subscription, hiring a freelancer with Adobe CC or finding a like minded charitable Not-for-Profit organization with CC who may let you use their system. But the project files will always be there - they won't disappear either.

With regards to save guarding your masters, to be able to change or use them in the future with either Adobe or other software, it is about whether you are willing to do good house keeping?

That involves exporting clean masters out with individual split audio-tracks on them - something that used to be common day work in the Film and TV editing suites. Digital NLE allowed people to become complacent (lazy) about this. It is your choice as to how you will safe-guard your work, but it ain't Adobe's fault if you choose not to do it.

And yes to the point about new features: I do not believe that you would be naive enough to think Adobe or any other software company would reverse engineer new features into old versions of the software - if so, we would all be running Windows 3.1 with Premiere v1 on it - which would be charity, but not a sustainable business model for the supplier(s).

Matt: "I also know that the standalone apps will only work for so long and eventually I'll be forced against my own free will to upgrade and subscribe or to use other third party apps like Corel Draw, Sketch, Apple products, etc. (too many learning curves)"

No-one is forcing you to do anything against against your free will - where is this coming from?

Matt: "So I would like to ask is it worth it? I'm either all in or all out at this point."

You have to ask yourself: What do you loose by not doing it?

If you are concerned about the subscription issue etc. Why not just upgrade your CS5.5 to CS6? Granted, you will loose out on the 1000+ new features, but at least you will be on a software which is still supported by Adobe and should work for the foreseeable future. It sounds like, based on the other software packages that you mentioned, that you might not have use for anything as advanced as CS6 or CC, and might be better off with Premiere and Photoshop elements?

On the point about your CS5,5: The whole reason for Adobe switching to CC is in my opinion partly because people like yourself would not be on a regular upgrade path, which would have a negative impact on cash-flow, which then in turn would limit R&D spending on new versions. Instead with CC as version 2015 have already proved: Adobe can now more accurately forecast earnings, and thereby be able to secure R&D funding for larger projects, such as a near complete re-write of After Effects. Granted, there is still much work to be done, but Adobe was never going to have a solid business out of the customer using legacy versions of the software.

Did all of the above sound harsh?
Yes, and I apologize for that.
But there has recently on the COW forums been a few posts by same day new arrivals, like yourself, claiming to be "interested" in Adobe CC, but really using the opportunity to spread misinformation about the software. If you had taken time to follow and search in the forums, you would already have known that some of the statements you made (as opposed to questions) was incorrect.

One final note: setting aside that you are able to get Adobe CC at the much reduced subscription price. What is the purpose of your organization using video production software? Normally this would be for either raising money, or raising awareness for a cause, or raising money for a cause.

In any case, I would suggest that you get together with your marketing/promotional department and discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud and Adobe CC can compliment one another and vastly improve your outreach in internal/external and Social Media communications - maybe even talk with your local Adobe sales team about getting some presentations and training in this. Because ultimately that will justify the increased expenditure by your Not-for-Profit organization.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: @Matt Kornegay Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:38:37 am

Mads,

Thank you for the information and your post. I agree with 99% of what you are saying. I respectfully disagree about the pricing, mainly about the subscription cost not increasing. It is possible, that after a certain amount of subscribers sign up, there is the possibility of a price increase. Not saying there will be one, just a possibility.

With that said, however, I am going to subscribe to Photoshop, at least temporarily. As far as everything else, current software on my system, Motion and FCP X, fits my needs at the moment. We all have different needs, some will find the offerings of After Effects and such to meet their needs. Others, like myself, find competing software to be the best choice.

Just to clarify and prevent any misunderstandings, while rental only is a slight concern of mine, it is not the reason I chose to go with other software. I simply chose what works for me. My current setup might not meet the needs of others and I respect the choice that others make.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: @Matt Kornegay Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:54:57 am

Hey David,

Thank you - don't be shocked: But I agree 100% with your last post :-)

[David Mathis] " I respectfully disagree about the pricing, mainly about the subscription cost not increasing. It is possible, that after a certain amount of subscribers sign up, there is the possibility of a price increase."

Like with all other products in life, the price will eventually increase. We currently live in a world where inflation increases the market and deflation is a no, no for most governments. For inflation to work, there must be an increase in prices.

However, I would be the first one out of that door, if Adobe decided to cut R&D and increase their prices above that of natural increase in line with inflation and/or advanced development - which I don't believe that the powers to be at Adobe would be dumb enough to do. After all, they don't have, and will never have a monopoly as there are plenty of competitors wanting to eat a slice of their cake.

[David Mathis] " I am going to subscribe to Photoshop, at least temporarily"

I do not think that you will regret that - the latest version CC2015 have an additional 500MB of code in it over that of CC 2014, so there must be something new hiding under the hood. In addition to the comment above, one observation is that Adobe is working very hard to price Photoshop and Lightroom at a competitive level to keep them at the top spot.

And yes, you must do what is best for you with regards to the software and hardware that you choose to use. I am by no means myself wedded to Adobe only - but right now none of the other guys in their market segment are keeping up with R&D and new innovations on collaboration in the Cloud. There are plenty of individual "apps" out there, but none as smooth and integrated as how the Adobe platform is working right now.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: @Matt Kornegay Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:14:54 am

Thank you for the kind words. Perhaps my biggest fear is product offerings vanishing into the night without a trace, silly as it me seem. Like you said, I don't think Adobe would do something like that.

I think a big part of the misunderstanding on this forum and others is partly a direct result of the words rental only, no pernament license. Something else that is misunderstood. No one owns the software other then the company makes it. It is not ours to do with as we please, just we are granted a license as long as we agree to th terms. Perhaps this concept has been buried due the strong feelings of renting a license as opposed to making a one time payment. Please correct me if I am wrong. Promise to take no offense!

I may not agree with their business model as is at this moment but life is not always fair. I do hope they will offer a buyout option, that would certainaly peak my interest and possibly others as well.

I hope I did not come off harsh. Again, thank you for your time and contribution, Mads. Just so you know, not at all shocked! ;-)

Glad we have this debate and thankful for the wealth of information here. Hope we all can be level headed and keep emotions in check, not always an easy task. Well, back to bed.

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: @Matt Kornegay Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:06:07 pm

Mads: There are plenty of individual "apps" out there, but none as smooth and integrated as how the Adobe platform is working right now.

You are very right, and that's the main reason I have used Adobe for so long. Even though there is a high learning curve, they have very well (for the most part) integrated products.

Return to posts index

Matt Kornegay@Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:59:49 pm

Thank you for your detailed, but not entirely nice reply.

Mads: What is the purpose of your organization using video production software?

Actually, I am a freelance designer and the president, producer, editor, cameraman, etc for my very small organization. I use PP (whatever the last version was before CC, CS6) for shooting Youtube (non-monetized) educational videos for substance abuse. I use the other CS apps (AI, ID, PS, LR, AA, etc.) for my business and marketing items. I am not new to Adobe CS. In fact I have been using Adobe products before there even was a CS. When PS, AI and AA was few of their only apps. Though I have only recently (last 9 years) been using CSx.

Mads: But there has recently on the COW forums been a few posts by same day new arrivals, like yourself, claiming to be "interested" in Adobe CC, but really using the opportunity to spread misinformation about the software...

So to answer some of your questions, I came hear looking for a helpful, not overly opinionated, answer to a question regarding CC (especially relating to the 2015 version that was just released). I understand that some people may use forums to troll or argue, but that's not me. I just like to learn. I have scoured the web and everyone has something different to say. Either for Adobe or against them (just like the Mac vs PC peeps). I'm not interested in that, but a honest (unrude) answer. Only reason I signed up for Creative Cow (and I was already a member many years ago), was because it popped up in Goggle after multiple searches for my answer and I needed to for my question (or lack of). I have gathered this information through other forums (which I guess according to you are all wrong) and info I have gathered from the Adobe site. If Adobe is such a well informed site, then why can't they answer the most simplest questions on it. Then get defense when you start ask, the reasoning? It's like Adobe is some elite club or something and they don't want super die-hard followers in it. Or they are trying to be vague as to get you to sign over your soul to be a part of it. Really?

I suppose some people are just too intelligent and lack personal communication skills for simpletons like me, just my observation. Anyways....

You have provided goods points and I'm not here to bash Adobe (and yes I understand they're a UK company, where you are from, so don't take it personal). I have high regards for the intelligence at Adobe. But I highly dislike how they have provided very few options for their faithful users (my opinion). I may not know or use the apps as extensively as you do (or most professionals), but I assure you, I use them practically everyday. So they are a necessity to me. And Adobe knows this about their users. The same as Apple knows this about theirs. A classic marketing tactic. Produce something good, make it a part of their lives (or business) and dangle the carrot wherever you may. Guess I can't blame them.

Mads: The whole reason for Adobe switching to CC is in my opinion partly because people like yourself would not be on a regular upgrade path...

Can you blame me or anyone? When you give a customer an option to sign up for a membership/subscription, (which I hate because it is perpetual/indefinite) then you are pretty much saying you can choose to use our products or not, good luck. This isn't a web hosting service or maybe because of the Cloud it is, but I should have the option. I don't want a cloud. I don't care for it. Why do I need to pay for something I'm not going to use? It was ok when Adobe Cloud was introduced. It was an option, but then when they announced that the CS apps where going to be based on this, I knew that subscriptions where going to be required. How many companies have existed and profited without subscriptions? If you run a company and cannot do proper projection reports with subscriptions services, then I doubt their ability to exist long-term. Adobe didn't have to go this route, they chose to because everyone else is. It's takes the right or power from the consumer and allows the company to dictate what they may. If you don't see this, then you have drank too much of the kool-aid. If you've been using Adobe for years and everything you have created has used their products with native apps, then by all means that would be forcing our hand to use their new/upgraded software (get on-board) and pay the price (whatever it may be) or not be able to use your files any longer (get left behind), unless of course I choose not too. In that case, I can still use my outdated CS versions (for now) to open files, but new OS's won't support these indefinitely. So its a back and forth game, you have to give in or give up. No "real" option. If I want to upgrade every 5 years that should be my choice, not Adobe's. I have the right to choose, but now Adobe is saying, I can choose to subscribe or screw you! That's Adobe mantra in a nutshell. Isn't it? And I paid how much for your app(s)? Hundreds, thousands? Big businesses forget sometimes that they are what they are because of loyal and faithful customers. How does the saying go..."Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Mads: Why not just upgrade your CS5.5 to CS6?...Adobe and should work for the foreseeable future...

Have you actually tried to find the CS6 suite? Maybe once you are a paying CC member you have access to it, but I cannot find it through searching the Adobe site or Google (maybe 3rd parties). If they have it, they have hidden it very well. Or maybe its here https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.ht..., but looks like you have to have a CC membership or a previous boxed retail copy. Why? Because they don't want people to use it. They will support fixes and security updates (no feature updates) for as long as the minimum OS requirements are met. Eventually, CS6 will be phased out completely once all the OS's have surpassed backwards compatibility. Maybe a few more years.

Mads: It sounds like, based on the other software packages that you mentioned, that you might not have use for anything as advanced as CS6 or CC, and might be better off with Premiere and Photoshop elements?

As far as PS Elements or Premiere Elements, you must be joking.:) My wife uses PS Elements on her PC and I hate it. Once you've been using a professional level app, you can't go back to a consumer version. Even if it's supposed to be easier. I also had PP CS3 many years back before CS6 and so I bought Premiere Elements, because I didn't want to relearn everything do to the fact I wasn't and avid PP user (CS3 MC). When I started using Elements it just didn't feel right. Tools were missing (features, effects), harder to find what you needed, different feel, etc. When you use certain app features or tools in a workflow and then they are not there because you're using a dumb down version, it's like riding a bicycle with no pedals or flat tires. I created two videos with Elements and then bought CS6. Though it had new features, it was like riding a bike and now I have my workflow back. Even though I'm sure I'm not using PP to it's full potential and it has more than I need, I still like it.

Before I purchased CS6 and all this CC stuff was coming down the pipe, I was really hesitant and was considering FCPX, Apple Motion (for effects) instead of getting stuck on the Adobe train at full speed. I read that is was hard to integrate Apple Products and Adobe (in a seamless workflow) and that Apple was also cutting support for some apps leaving their long-time users hanging (at least that what I read at the time). Apple was more focused on OSX and hardware instead of professional software apps. Adobe clearly has a much stronger foundation (that's all they do). Not to mention I was familiar with Adobe apps and I didn't want to learn different, non-native integrating applications where files need to be exported and imported as XML files. Instead of a simple open/close, copy/paste workflow.

Mads: On your point about contracts: You can either settle for a month-by-month contract or an annual pass.

As far as the month-to-month, I read that a customer tried to cancel, but Adobe told them that it was a one year contract, even for month to month. A lot of what Adobe says on their site is one thing, but you find out once you become a member that there are "fine print" disclaimers. That's just shady.

Mads: That involves exporting clean masters out with individual split audio-tracks on them...

Like I said, I am no professional in the sense of know all the ins and outs of PP or any of the Adobe apps, but I'm very organized and always have good housekeeping of my files. But, "No", I don not know how to do this, unless you are referring to using the Project Manager to export the files.

Mads: ...maybe even talk with your local Adobe sales team...

We don't have a locals Adobe sales team. I contacted Adobe twice. Once through chat (they couldn't help) and once over the phone (rude and was happy to get off the phone). Like answering my simple question wasn't part of his job. Needless to say, the sales team was a joke and no help (don't get offended).

Mads, you don't have to respond to this comment (even though you may), as I am no way trying to offend or arouse malice. I am just stating info that I have gathered. Maybe I've been misinformed through suspecting forums. So although your comment was a little harsh, I will take the good points into consideration.

Thanks for your lengthy response.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson@Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:26:00 pm

Matt: As far as the month-to-month, I read that a customer tried to cancel, but Adobe told them that it was a one year contract, even for month to month.

That hasn't been my experience. I've picked up both Illustrator and Dreamweaver for a month at a time here and there along the way without any issues.

Worth noting that the annual contracts are also presented with the monthly price facing forward, to emphasize how much lower the monthly cost is when you subscribe. You also have to actively opt-out or be automatically re-upped. This is how most things work, especially free trials, so I'm used to it. Set a calendar alert to remind yourself to cancel, and all is well.

Not that I have any comment on the specific case you mention. I'm just reporting my on experience.

I strongly agree with you on every count re: PS Elements, though. My wife is even the one who has it on her PC! LOL Full Photoshop or bust for me.

Return to posts index

Matt Kornegay@Tim Wilson
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:46:56 pm

Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes@Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:27:20 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Holmes on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:30:06 pm

[Matt Kornegay] "and yes I understand they're a UK company"

Adobe was founded in 1982 in Mountain View, CA. Their headquarters is now in San Diego. They are a USA company.

[Matt Kornegay] "If I want to upgrade every 5 years that should be my choice, not Adobe's. I have the right to choose...Big businesses forget sometimes that they are what they are because of loyal and faithful customers."

I think one could argue that someone who upgrades software on a 5 year cycle, while a happy using customer is not really a "loyal" customer. I would chalk up loyal and faithful to the ones who lay down their money at each upgrade cycle (which is essentially a de facto subscription) or maybe every other year. But if you're going 5 years in between upgrades that's a long time!

[Matt Kornegay] "Eventually, CS6 will be phased out completely once all the OS's have surpassed backwards compatibility. Maybe a few more years."

Yep, eventually it will come to an end. I believe if you call Adobe directly you can still purchase a box copy of the CS6 Master Collection (someone please correct me if I"m wrong). As a CC subscriber you do have access to it, but I think it's only available for purchase directly from Adobe now. And I do have to applaud Adobe for maintaining CS6 as a usable software for over 3 years now (CS6 was first available May 7, 2012) through multiple OS releases on both Windows and Mac.

[Matt Kornegay] "Once you've been using a professional level app, you can't go back to a consumer version. Even if it's supposed to be easier."

HA! Tell that to the FCPX/Motion crowd! I kid, I kid!! I'm here all week...don't forget to tip your waitress...! :-)

[Matt Kornegay] "As far as the month-to-month, I read that a customer tried to cancel, but Adobe told them that it was a one year contract, even for month to month. A lot of what Adobe says on their site is one thing, but you find out once you become a member that there are "fine print" disclaimers. That's just shady."

As always, read the contract you're signing up for. I've had no problems dealing with Adobe and the CC model. I've had to switch contracts, change users, setup new users - all have been problem free. I'm sure others (and some have posted here) have had problems. But one users experience shouldn't be indicative of all 4 million+ users, whether positive or negative. The advertised monthly price is provided you sign up for a year of service. If you want to go truly month-to-month with no contract you'll be paying slightly more (very similar to electric companies).

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: @Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 6:07:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification Ryan. I always thought they were a US company for some reason all the Adobe Certified Experts seems to be in the UK. :) I also saw this in the footer of the Adobe Company page I was navigating.
I suppose after their multinational expansion many years ago, it was hard to follow where they actually are headquartered. I thought they may have been sold overseas.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen@Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:43:05 pm

Hey Matt,

Not to be pedantic about it, but Adobe Systems Ireland Ltd is based in Dublin, Ireland (as per your graphic) - although a long time ago it used to be a part of the British empire, it is now a country in its own right, with its own President and own government.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: @Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:02:55 pm

Of course Mads. Not knowing exactly where Adobe was located without further research. I know it used to be part of the UK until 1922. Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Southern Ireland (Now the Republic of Ireland, previously the Irish Free State) separated from Northern Ireland in the 1922 partition. Ireland as a whole was part of the UK until partition. So Yes Mads you are correct in that Dublin is not part of the UK and now it's own free state.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: @Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:23:17 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "Adobe was founded in 1982 in Mountain View, CA. Their headquarters is now in San Diego. They are a USA company."

I think you mean San Jose, CA.

Regards,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen@Matt Kornegay
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:30:14 pm
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:34:02 pm

Hey Matt,

Matt: "Thank you for your detailed, but not entirely nice reply."

I do think that I said sorry enough times. However, you made one long statement in two paragraphs, followed by a short question. So it was difficult to ascertain whether you were in need of help, or just wanted to give a biased opinion. I am happy that you clarified the position, and apologise if your feelings have been hurt.

Matt: "I am a freelance designer and the president, producer, editor, cameraman, etc for my very small organization. I use PP (whatever the last version was before CC, CS6) for shooting Youtube (non-monetized) educational videos for substance abuse."

That is a very worthy cause and hopefully you will find that Adobe CC with its direct publishing from encoder to YouTube will help your life. Notwithstanding all the other great features.

I hope that Adobe will look after you with a reduced license - even support your educational work - have you reached out to their CSR people? You should: http://www.adobe.com/uk/corporate-responsibility.html They may even want to help you further than just a reduced price copy. These guys certainly should be able to put you into the save hands of a product specialist, rather than the "global customer call centre" - which I agree, is less attractive than pulling out toe-nails.

Ryan Holmes have already answered most of your questions in a much better way than I could. So I will jump past those, except for:

In the UK, guessing it is similar for the US, you can buy CS6 through Adobe on this web-link: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalo...

Matt: "As far as PS Elements or Premiere Elements, you must be joking.:) My wife uses PS Elements on her PC and I hate it. Once you've been using a professional level app, you can't go back to a consumer version. Even if it's supposed to be easier."

I wasn't joking, neither was I trying to diminish your professionalism. However, large parts of what goes on in the editing suite requires nothing more than a simple cut and an audio fade. So if money was the concern, then one should consider what the actual requirements for "business" is, and whether those can be met by using other tools - personally: I would not use Adobe elements either. In particularly with all of the Freemiums coming out from the likes of Avid and Black Magic - which is a sign that someone is biting into their business.

As Tim Wilson suggested, you could do the 30 day trial - if you extend it at the right time, you can according to some turn it into 60 days of free use + a reduced price for 12-24 months for onboarding if you choose to go forward from there.

However, you won't know until you have tried it, and the migration from CS5.5 should be easy for you and there are plenty of help tutorials across the web, including here on the COW, that you can use if and when you need it. And the Adobe product forums have a kind group of people who uses the software in anger intermixed with Adobe product specialists.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Matt Kornegay@Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:42:12 pm

Thanks Mads and no my feelings aren't hurt. :) I was simply hitting the ball back..

You are right about the simple editing process and I could use iMovie I guess (for simple editing), but I do like to over complicate things. Must be one of my character traits. Hah!

But seriously, I thought Elements would prove to be useful enough, but learning quickly that if I planned on more extensive use I would soon be limited. And like any professional who uses the apps properly, you soon find the limits of consumers apps. Like implementing AE composites, overlays, color grading, transitions and so forth.

I also thought that I could import my Elements files into PP. At least that's what Adobe said or I read you could. Unfortunately, PP cannot open Elements files or vice versus. They are not backwards compatible like PS Elements and PS are. Another Adobe fumble. You cannot import them either as PS Elements has specific features the PP doesn't. After creating those two videos, I had to keep Elements just to be able to open them, but since I have rendered them out, I may just remove it all together.

I like being able to customize my export options and even though PE had a YouTube preset it was that great and I like to check things before they get uploaded straight to Youtube.

I was shooting on a iPhone then, so there wasn't much you can do, but now I use a DSLR and I want my videos to be the high quality before Youtube compresses the crap out of them. The Youtube export preset that PP has is very good, even though I have followed many tutorials for the best video export. All it did was increase file size and some still rendered crap. PP has very good presets when using high quality raw footage.

For the discounted rate. Our organization is part of TechSoup which allows software purchases at discounted rates for approved NGO's through affiliate programs. When I contacted Adobe about a question they couldn't help me. I'm sure is was the global division too.

Because we go through a third part NGO affiliate program, it's hard to deal with Adobe directly. They told me I would have to buy two licenses at $34.95 each for NGO's and needed to provide them paperwork (which I already have done). I only need a single license and can get it for $19.99 for one year and 40% off every year afterwards. I think its a good deal.

But, if something happens to our non-profit status or Adobe no longer offers that deal, I may be stuck paying retail and though I like Adobe products I really can't afford the $50/mo.

I can download the trial versions I guess. But I want to make sure I use them a lot in the 30 days as I do not want to use up my one chance for a trial and not use it.

Thanks!

Not to mention I'm used to using the Adobe CS, so Elements programs are taking a big step back. It would be different for unsuspecting new consumers. But as a longtime Adobe user, it felt like something was missing (and there was).

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: @Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:41:44 pm
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:43:25 pm

Hey Matt,

Bit late in replying - but a mixture of family, work and other later posts got in the way. At least my ever expanding inbox reminded me about your post.

Drop the idea of Elements - it is clearly not going to work for you.

[Matt Kornegay] "but now I use a DSLR and I want my videos to be the high quality before Youtube compresses the crap out of them"

I am currently working with a photographer where he Shoots 4K timelapses on SLR and I pump them into PPro - because of all of the codecs included and the way Adobe works with files, there are no transcoding. I can start playing the files straight away.

Don't forget that Google will be moving YouTube to a 4K (UHD) platform and that the first programming can already be found there. Netflix is doing the same, and I would expect Amazon Prime to follow. However, although bigger and better, they will all need to use compression.

[Matt Kornegay] "Because we go through a third part NGO affiliate program, it's hard to deal with Adobe directly. They told me I would have to buy two licenses at $34.95 each for NGO's and needed to provide them paperwork (which I already have done)."

I don't know enough about this. But is surprised that Adobe will not speak with you, and that you need to buy two licenses?

Just checking: Individual Adobe CC users are allowed to install the CC Apps on two different devices, whether PC or Mac or Mobile - are you sure that they asked you to buy two licenses? Or that it wasn't to explain how many devices it could be installed on?

In any case, as a single user you have no need for two installs of the same programs.

I would also have thought that Adobe would be interested in answering any questions that you might have.

[Matt Kornegay] "But, if something happens to our non-profit status or Adobe no longer offers that deal, I may be stuck paying retail and though I like Adobe products I really can't afford the $50/mo."

I only see Adobe as being fair in all their dealings with customers. You will get emails reminding you about renewals of subscription, and if they change their T&C I would expect them to give you at least 3 months, if not more, notice.

[Matt Kornegay] "I can download the trial versions I guess. But I want to make sure I use them a lot in the 30 days as I do not want to use up my one chance for a trial and not use it."

I would suggest that you download the trial. Please note that it is not humanly possible to go through and learn all of the software in CC in 30 days. If anything, you are most likely to check out the reel cool stuff that you would like to use, and ignore the rest. There are simply too much to learn in CC.

One last note: I know the subject of future proofing files etc is contentious and that my opinion on this is not shared by many. Setting that aside, before making the decision about investing into Adobe CC, you need to decide two things:

1) If not Adobe, what is the alternative software that you would choose that can do the job that you need it to do? (Just in case you need to move on)

2) About your old projects and having access to them without having to do a short-term subscription - a thought that offends some people. I a distant past I worked with a supplier that converted tape-2-tape broadcast news-rooms into digital server based state of the art news-rooms. An essential part of the work was to measure and identify all current operations and decide what was needed and if those could be optimized. More often than not, the things that client staff on the ground made a compulsory necessity, did often not show in the measurement process - a process that often involved following the operation for 2-4 weeks.

Based on that knowledge, my question is: How many times have you needed access to old projects? and why?
One quick exercise is to do a quick search across all your project folders going back 10 years, to look at how many of them you have opened and worked on in the last 3 months?

That will help you determine how important your old projects are in the day-to-day business.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: @Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:52:00 pm

Mads: ...are you sure that they asked you to buy two licenses? Or that it wasn't to explain how many devices it could be installed on?

No, the rep told me twice and the more I inquired (to be 100%), the more short he got. He was really trying to pass me on to another sales dept. Apparently, he was tired of answering phones or questions. Which was all about two or three of them. One's in which I had to repeat b/c he clearly wasn't understanding what I was asking. I suppose is was because most NGO's are much larger and require at least that many licenses (prob a min. requirement for Adobe).

Mads: I would suggest that you download the trial.

Just saw a video on integration of CC 2015 for graphic designers and the host made it look very appealing. Especially how PS is taking on a lot of attributes (like artboards) from AI. One thing I'm not sure has been added yet, would be the ability to specify the sizes of images (image dimensions) in PS without having to adjust image sizes and canvases. That is something I could never understand why PS never implemented. It seems so trivial to them, but so import for those working between the two apps. I also like that you can keep files updated through CC across multiple apps (like global updating on file changes). The only downside is actually having to use the cloud to store the files (logos, clipart, etc.) so that the change would be update. Though the workflow was seamless, I'm still not on board with keeping my content in the cloud unless I was collaborating on a file with a team. It would be too hard to know what to keep there and what not.

I think I may give it a spin, but even with the price point at $50/yr I will probably bite the bullet either way. At this time, it's pretty hard to live without Adobe products and I'm not someone who wants to try and relearn completely non-integrate programs to save a few dollars. In the end, it comes down to workflow and how the app performs. Right now Adobe is still on top. Though I have tried other. I'm pretty loyal will it comes to the layout and function of an app. If it doesn't have a few tools or is missing a few key features or functions that I use, I usually drop it.

Mads: Based on that knowledge, my question is: How many times have you needed access to old projects? and why?

Your right, I'm sure there are many that could be archived and never opened again. Yet, I tend to go digging back through old ones from time to time. Maybe just to see how bad they were. :) Or may a particular effect or layout that I'd like to use. Trust me, I don't have that many files. Once my computer crashed many years ago and I lost everything from my Corel Draw days and some PS, I decided not to try and resave them (the ones they were not corrupted from the restore software) in AI just so I could open them. (One bad thing about only saving app native files). I lost hundreds, probably thousands of design files. All my artwork gone. Now I have triple backup redundancy locally.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm pretty sure I will be upgrading sooner than later when things slow down and I can make that leap to learn all the overwhelming new features in CC. They are updating it all the time now, but I just don't want to be a beta tester when they release the latest (not completely) bug free apps. I guess I can just upgrade when I'm comfortable. Hopefully, OSX 10.8.5 will be ok for awhile. I'm still not sold on Yosemite.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: @Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13:13 am

[Matt Kornegay] "Hopefully, OSX 10.8.5 will be ok for awhile. I'm still not sold on Yosemite."

Creative Cloud 2015 requires 10.9 or higher on the Mac platform. Earlier versions support 10.8.x.

With Apple updating OS X yearly and developers trying to stay current, holding onto older versions is going to be pretty tough going forward.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2015 at 8:37:54 am

Hey Matt,

Just keep on calling them till they find the right person for you to talk with. If the initial person is not giving you an adequate answer, then ask for a supervisor. Don't forget to get name and note time on everybody that you speak with. But sounding like that they don't want to speak with you, is not good.

If you are taking your videos into schools and colleges etc to teach about substance abuse, you may qualify for an educational discount - in the UK this for students is currently starting at 65% discount for the first year.

[Matt Kornegay] "Once my computer crashed many years ago and I lost everything from my Corel Draw days and some PS, I decided not to try and resave them (the ones they were not corrupted from the restore software) in AI just so I could open them. (One bad thing about only saving app native files). I lost hundreds, probably thousands of design files. All my artwork gone. Now I have triple backup redundancy locally."

Big Nightmare! I am always scared for the day that a drive decides to go on the blink. In the recent days, on video anyway, I loved mini-dv tapes as they were only $1 a piece and could contain 60 minutes that won't disappear in my life-time - the same goes for the bulkier Betacam, Digital Betacam and HD-Cam. Now it is all tape-less and no-one have come up with a cost-effective way of storing that.

For online storage I mainly use OneDrive (Microsoft) which gives me 1TB of storage + Office package + 60 mins free a month on Skype for about £80/year. Easy to manage, and sits nicely in the cloud if I need to open files remotely.

For my final end-of-project back-up I currently use BlueRay 25GB discs - one master and one copy (2 of each). The external burner is about £80 and 10 TDK branded discs are £9.99.

BTW: I am PC and love my HP ZBook pro - not sure that I will be an early adopter of Windows 10 as I am doing well with Windows 8. So on the issue of Apple OSX, I am the last person that you should listen to :-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: @Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:18:44 pm

We don't go in to schools, but we have an office where we counsel families and adults free of charge. Adolescents are out of our focus and mission, although I agree prevention is best at earlier ages. In our short 2-5min videos I teach short segments on the same information we teach in our groups and one-on-one sessions.

I have at 2TB mirrored NAS and a 500GB external drive with Time Machine backups. I used to backup on CD's before data got so big. I would use those rewritables disc and just overwrite them. Then DVD's where ok for a time. I've even use the DL 8gb ones, but never the Blu-Ray. I guess you have to have a special burner for those as you mentioned.

I would really like to have a cloud or alternate storage location for my NAS, but with no internet at our office or having to worry about the speed of the internet, I can backup wireless over my gigabit network. I think with the cloud you have to pick and chose what you want to keep there. Just for upload sake. Maybe the first backup is what takes so long, the it's differential after that.

I used to be a hardcore Windows fan. I used to build PC's back in the day. But once i finally converted to Mac back in 2007 I've been very happy. Of course given the current state of things since the death of Steve Jobs, I have not been the die-hard endorser that I once was. I still do recommend them to people looking for a solid OS. I do think it's because of the somewhat UNIX platform it's built on for stability.

Too me, Windows 98SE was the best and most stable OS they ever put out. After that it was always about what's new. Guess we will see what Windows 10 will do. I was about to upgrade my computer to Yosemite although I found that many of the cool Bluetooth features want work b/c of old hardware (late 2011). But what stopped me from taking the leap into CC 2015 is that all my app will not work with Yosemite. Right now I'm not will to jump that far forward. I think I will just download CC 2014 which is definitely still an upgrade from CS5 and wait (hopefully) until the other app developers update their software. The killer will be that they don't and I lose the the app. Most of which are utilities for hardware like Canon EOS Utility and Logitech Remote.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:10:40 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Jun 19, 2015 at 6:26:43 pm

[Matt Kornegay] "I am very skeptical about taking the plunge into the CC"

Can understand. And you are not alone. A lot of friends & business partners have the same sight on this situation.
I would say, it depends on your needs.
I for my own, decided not to fall into dependency. And all the pro-posters here can post again and again, that they don´t see it.
If you want full access to your files… You must pay again. No chance to open many/most files with full access without the original apps.
(what a funny argument, that some post here: "No, you don´t loose the access to your files if you stop paying - you can pay again!")
And indeed: There is NO given guaranty from Adobe, that the Today-Prices are the Tomorrow-Prices.
And if I have a look on their Income… It´s nearby half of 2011 Level. And that under the condition that they have 4.6 Mill. Subscribers already.
Now they are living more and more only by the subscriptions-income & I wonder how long they can live with that.
I´m totally assure, that prices will rise, when the amount of subscribers will begin to sink.
But I have to grant: That´s my point of view.
I don´t know why you can get an student/teacher Version. But I think, that´s nothing Adobe can take away. So if they decide to do so - You have to pay.
And yes, for some Applications (like Premiere for the moment) with no chance to get full access with competitors solutions.
You own the files, but they are useless.
Some may argument: But you can go to friends who own CC… You can decide to pay for a month… And so on.
Doesn´t work really, if you have to open and edit all your files day by day.
So: For many of the Apps there are Substitutes. If you are working a lot with PS - Have a look on Affinity Photo. It does ist´s job great and extremely fast - may be an alternative. Also - for the moment - there are many Applications, that can open .psd Files (maybe 3D- or some Text-Layers are rendered and not longer editable, but…).
Premiere got nice new features, indeed, and first time in history is handsome fast. But if you stop your subscription - FULL editable access to files is gone.
So if you can live with CS (don´t know what you are doing with) - live with it as long as you can or have a look to competition.
(Yes, there are learning-curves, but I was surprised about many features & performance, I won´t miss)
If - one day in far away future - CS will not work with a new operating system, you can still choose to jump on that misnamed Cloud.
(But I think, that will be earliest in 1 1/2 yrs - if you can´t hold a mature system)
It´s with many of the CC-Apps: There are not many Features you can´t live without compared to CS.
And also: In the long run this "Cloud" is more expensive than CS ever was. Even if you can and do use ALL apps (Former Master Collection, which still was cheaper with all updates - but you have to wait for 10 years ;)
I decided to pay no penny to Adobe after their cut of choice. Maybe a bit old fashioned, but I don´t like renting and credits. Renting makes sense for services. But software isn´t a service in the main.
I am using still my Master Collections (more and more less) and replaced many Apps with competitors. Sometimes it´s a bit tricky, when we have to work with files that come from CC. But till now there are workflows to live with. Most of the companies, we are working with, don´t like the CC-Idea too.

Conclusion: If it´s worth to jump on that cloud depends on your needs. Any feature within CC you can´t live without? You see an big advantage in a bit online-storage, some Sync-Tools and a few funny mobile-Apps? Have to handle many CC-Files of clients? Maybe you have to eat it. Do you own a fair CS-license you can live with for the moment, than why do you have to hurry? Do you need access to your creation (more often than 6 times a year, LOL) - Take care! Maybe you have to pay for ever. Worried about future prices? It´s an argument no one can ignore. Even when prices remained stable for the last years. Once you are in and need the full access to edit your files it can be the CC-dealkiller. There is no future-guaranty.
In my eyes it isn´t worth to jump on. But may be - I don´t know your situation exactly enough - it´s different for you.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 1:31:46 pm

Hey Rainer,

[Rainer Schubert] "Can understand. And you are not alone. A lot of friends & business partners have the same sight on this situation.
I would say, it depends on your needs.
I for my own, decided not to fall into dependency. And all the pro-posters here can post again and again, that they don´t see it."

That is not true; you know that we love you, and we respect you for your choice - well I do, can't speak for everybody else.

[Rainer Schubert] "If you want full access to your files… You must pay again. No chance to open many/most files with full access without the original apps.
(what a funny argument, that some post here: "No, you don´t loose the access to your files if you stop paying - you can pay again!")"

You must start making differentiation on what files you are describing. As you well know, at NO point do you loose your source materials. And at NO point does your project files disappear, unless you yourself delete them.

But you are right in saying that like with your mobile phone, if you stop paying, it will stop working. The same goes for your electricity, gas, water, fuel for the car, TV license and everything else that you might be "subscribing" to.

However, you can also just continue to ignore my previous statement(s) on how to safe-guard your master files and future access to them.

[Rainer Schubert] "It´s with many of the CC-Apps: There are not many Features you can´t live with compared to CS."

Correct me if I'm wrong: You don't do any work with video, audio or moving graphics? (based on your own previous post(s) elsewhere on the COW)

In which case, you've got no foundation for making swiping statements about the functionality and resiliency of Adobe video products. If anything, you are leading Matt into a dark place, where he may end up using more time and resources, that could be easily avoided...

As said, I do respect you - but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with you ;-)

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2015 at 2:50:53 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "That is not true; you know that we love you, and we respect you for your choice - well I do, can't speak for everybody else."

Same as with me. But what I mean is, that they don´t see, that there is a dependency.
Once you are in the cloud, you need the cloud again, as long as you want to use your files.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "You must start making differentiation..."

Mads. I didn´t ignore anything and I never posted that files disappear, or I don´t own them any longer. I´m not posting about ownership of files. I´m writing about access to my files. And I also think, that Matt Kornegay knows exactly, what´s meant with FULL FILE ACCESS. There is no chance to open a premiere file without premiere. Or? You can establish workarounds. You can save out your file parallel in different formats, that can be re-imported by others. Time- and Diskspace intensive to create a fallback-solution for the case to stop membership. But no way to do so with FULL FILE ACCESS. Access to every original feature, Premiere provided. Same with Illutrator, InDesign, AfterEffects and even .ps. Not every App, which is able to open .ps is able to open it, with full access. Layers are rendered, etc.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "everything else that you might be "subscribing" to"

I didn´t ignore that too. And I also called myself old fashioned for that. But again, Subscription for Services is OK. In case of Services, the Provider has expense for my use of the Service. The Gas-Provider delivers Gas. The Phone-Provider has to direct me to my Phone-Partner. So he has expense to keep this service alive. And it´s OK, that I pay for, with my monthly bill - because I get something with every call. Different with a car. A car is ready at some day & I buy it "as is". The provider has no longer expense with it. If some people like to rent it. OK, If they do so. I never did. And wouldn´t like to do so. I´m OK with the fact that those who want to rent can do it. (A Problem with leasing is, that people who cant pay the price - nor today or in future - will lease. No question - Its a problem). Same with Software. It´s ready some day. I can buy it as "it is". Theoretical the Provider has no longer expense for me. If he wanted to be charged for Support-Services - OK. If he wants to be charged for an update - OK. Can live with (and I have support tickets for many Software-Pagages). Adobe makes Software a Service in a constructed way. I have to buy their Future Products. I permanently have to pay for their Development, And they don´t want to give me the Version-X Product any longer. It´s like I´m paying BMW for the Development of the next Model (that I might no like). They cut the choice. I can´t sell a Product any longer. If they would deliver the Cloud OR Full-Product this whole debate wouldn´t be necessary. CS was a fair way to sell a Product. CC is indeed changing the World into Rental.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "ignore my previous statement(s) on how to safe-guard your master files"

I didn´t ignore. Sure you can save out feature-limited files. But with that, you loose time & diskspace. It´s not efficient to do so only for the case, that you want to stop your subscribtion one day.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Correct me if I'm wrong: You don't do any work with video, audio or moving graphics?"

I correct you. Never posted. Also it´s not the main field of my work. I do create 3D Animations, sometimes interactive and also often combined with real-video (which I don´t shoot on my own). Mostly technical documentations for industry. But mostly I don´t do the Video- or Post- Work on my own. Also lots of High End- Presentations for Fairs or Business Events.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "leading Matt into a dark place"
Didn´t I wrote Premiere is fast? Didn´t I try to give him scenarios, where it might be useful to jump on? And didn´t I write often enough it´s my point of view and depends on his situation (which I don´t know exactly?
Only because I didn´t wrote: Huray… Jump on?
Isn´t it more misleading, to write that someone will never loose file-access (and ignoring some problems that come with that…)?

Thanks. Yes, to respect doesn´t mean to agree.
Sometimes disagreement is more respectful than still agreement.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:30:17 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "I´m writing about access to my files."

Yes, and from a video (Premiere Pro) point of view your description of "files" are very misleading, as a majority of the source material used in PPro originates from outside the package.

Even so, in that access to your files could disappear in a number of other "invented" ways including nuclear holocaust, computers being banned or Aliens invading Earth - your version of loosing access might as well be a Science Fiction novel... Bottom-line: You do NOT loose access to your files if your Adobe subscription stops tomorrow.

[Rainer Schubert] "You can save out your file parallel in different formats, that can be re-imported by others. Time- and Diskspace intensive to create a fallback-solution for the case to stop membership"

And it is the individual choice of whether one chooses to protect one-self or not. As mentioned before, in some parts of the industry it is second nature to master out copies that can easily be re-edited using other post-production systems than the one used for the master. However, I do agree that a one month subscription may be more cost effective for most people needing to return to work on legacy projects - but even so, you can still access your files.

[Rainer Schubert] " A car is ready at some day & I buy it "as is". The provider has no longer expense with it. If some people like to rent it"

Well, Ehmm, no, I think that you are forgetting one important component in order to get the car of the forecourt - unless it is permanently sitting on a trailer and you have a family member driving the van in front of you. ;-)

[Rainer Schubert] "I correct you. Never posted."

I have checked and apologise, what you actually wrote on the 31st of March was:

[Rainer Schubert] "I used Photoshop from the the beginning.
I am also a print designer (70%).
90% of my image-editing jobs can be done with Photo."

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/10330

And on the 18 of March:

[Rainer Schubert] "I was talking about "Access to my files".
Clearly my .InDes .AI .PS … Files."

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/10244

No mention of video file formats or your use of any of the video tools in Adobe - however, I must concede that you have not explicitly said that you didn't work with video...

I am sure that Matt by now have both sides of the argument. If you wish to continue to debate the "finer" issues of the Adobe CC, may I respectfully suggest we do that in a separate thread on the designated Adobe debate forum? Rather than in a thread that spans several forums - which have many happy Adobe CC users, and in all likelihood does not care for mine nor your opinion about CC.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2015 at 6:22:25 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Yes, and from a video (Premiere Pro) point of view your description of "files" are very misleading"

As far as I know, one can call file, whatever digital data it contains. If its containing an image, project or letter. As CC spans over a couple of file-kinds I used "file" instead of project. And when I´m talking about access to my files, than I´m talking about the access to the files that where created with the Adobe Application and not about related files like footage. It makes no sense, that I change some footage if I want to edit a transition or the whole project. Hell, Mads, com on…?

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Even so, in that access to your files could disappear in a number of other "invented" ways including nuclear holocaust"

Are you sure, that these arguments can be called serious any longer? Truly my files can get lost (and therefor my complete archive is stored in 2 different locations physically). But it´s something different if I only rent my tools, or if I own a lifelong unlimited license to use them. If I have to pay for the access to my files or not.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "that a one month subscription may be more cost effective for most people needing to return to work on legacy projects"

You arguments - going in this direction - are always under the condition, that it seems, you only open older files sometimes. Be sure: There are many like my, who need this access permanently. Those for whom it´s not done with "one" month of re-subscribing.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "No mention of video file formats"

Maybe I didn´t wrote much about specific work with video-tools - this is not the thread for. But be sure: I know what I´m talking about. May be that´s because we avoid to use the Video-tools of Adobe any longer. Most is done with Apple SW now. Sometimes bit AE CS. When we still use Adobe CS its mostly PS & AI.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen@Rainer Schubert
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:57:04 pm

Hey Rainer,

You originally said: "I´m writing about access to my files."

In your last post:
Rainer: "As far as I know, one can call file, whatever digital data it contains. If its containing an image, project or letter. As CC spans over a couple of file-kinds I used "file" instead of project. And when I´m talking about access to my files, than I´m talking about the access to the files that where created with the Adobe Application and not about related files like footage. It makes no sense, that I change some footage if I want to edit a transition or the whole project. Hell, Mads, com on…?"

Yes, come on, we always return to the point where you only give out part of the story. Thank you for clarifying it in your second post. Even then, you only loose access if you stop the subscription. The project file(s) will remain and the subscription can be restarted, or Adobe decides to offer access on a permanent basis - either way, the source files and project files will remain.

The rest of the discussion we can take within the debate forum - if you like?

But before we do: Can I please use this post to congratulate Adobe with their latest quarterly financial figures - it is really excellent news. Although there is still much work to be done, it is no longer a case of whether the company will survive the difficult transition to a cloud product, but how it stays ahead of the game with innovating cutting edge products and services.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Rainer SchubertRe: @Rainer Schubert
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:07:16 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "the source files and project files will remain"
I never wrote about files that disappear, I wrote about ACCESS to these files.
Mostly AFTER subscription.
That means: I have no subscription any longer. I decided or had to cancel.
Clearly one can Re-subscribe, but then it´s not AFTER subscription any longer.
(what, for example, if you can´t re-subscribe, because of a financial lack)

But, Mads, I think it makes no sense to discuss between u, or ;)

Return to posts index

Matt KornegayRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:44:39 pm

Thanks to your reply Rainer. The info you have provided was definitely less opinionated than Mads, but I guess that's just his personality. I am highly opinionated on particular subjects myself.

I do have the CS5.5 Design Suite and have upgraded to PP CS6 and LR 5 as I could afford. I like the option of CC where I can choose what apps I want instead of having my harddrive full of apps that I don't use with a particular suite. Unless you have the MC (which at one time I had the CS3 version), the suites don't include exactly the apps you needs. Maybe a combination of the Production, Design or Web Suites.

But I do think it unfair to be charged for apps I don't use. With the subscription you can choose to pay for individual apps at $20/month or sign up at $50/mo (individual). In which case I would required more individual apps that would make getting them separately not cost effective. So guess what? It's $50/mo. regardless. I know I can keep using CS5.5 as I have note upgraded my OSX either (still runnning Mt. Lion). OSX Mavericks and Yosemite are a disaster (full of bugs). I have a late 2011 MBP and I know the hardware will struggle to run everything properly. I can't afford to stay on the "bleeding edge" and buy the latest hardware and software when it comes out. Usually takes years for the bugs to get worked out of software in which it's had 3 revisions and then they completely change it.

I don't care for Behance or Adobe Cloud storage, etc. Should I pay for something that allows Adobe to make available to other members for the same price. When you buy a new car, leather, sunroof, sports package and bigger motor are additional options you can pay for. I have a choice. I shouldn't be forced to pay for all those if I want the basic or mid level. Offering PS and LR is a good deal and $10/mo. That I can agree on. But $20/mo for the other apps. Are you kidding. They should allow you to build your own software suites. Like apps for $5/mo or may $10/mo. I use 6 extensively. So I would pay $30/mo for that. Then if I need one for project or short time, I can rent it and then let it go afterwards. But no. It has to be some $600/year price tag to get a bunch other bloatware that I don't want or will ever use.

With all the changes Adobe has made since CS5.5, I can only imagine the learning curve on some of the added features and tools. I have noticed when looking for tutorials to perform certain functions they are CC exclusive. Many 3rd party scripts and actions required in older versions are now built right in to the app. This is something I would definitely love.

It's really decision that I will have to make. I've just heard a lot of horror stories from Adobe subscribers and how they decided to cancel their subscriptions because they didn't like how something worked or didn't work. They then found out the hard way, they all the files created with CC where useless in older apps. Have I opened CS6 and CC files in CS5.5? Yes. Did they retain their original native source data? No. Because Adobe new features (even reworked old ones) where embedded into the source file. Thus, causing the imported version to render differently. I understand this though.

My concern is not that Adobe has created CC, it's that since they will discontinue (eventually) their support for the CS apps, I have no choice but to go Adobe for life or start piece-mealing other apps together that lack the particular useful functions Adobe has integrated with theirs.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2015 at 6:49:57 pm

The arguments you wrote are mostly mine too.
Yes, Adobe decided to take the "hard way".
Much harder than even Microsoft, which paddled back with their Office.
The Lack of a buy-out (under what conditions ever), lost file Access, Incompatibility between CC/CS.
All very strange & there are enough, who don´t want to live with that.
True. If you use new features (in Illustrator for example) it gets difficult or impossible to open them with CS.
Mostly no "save to CS…" available.
Users concerned about canceling subscription? Have a look at Adobes Support website. Huh.
But if I were you, I would wait.
I´m totally assure, that they will change their politics.
For the moment it´s like with all new products.
Try to sell it for those who are willing to accept early.
Then try to catch the rest with credits or special offerings, additional advantages.
I bet, they will sooner or later offer combinations like the former suites
(I think, that they didn´t that from the beginning, was for those, who thought "Hui I gat all the Apps soooo cheap!". To cath those, for whom 50 bugs a month are peanuts.).
Latest, when the rise of subscribers will begin to fall (and the amount of Full-Product users seems to, already).
Maybe, there will be a buy-out offered.
But that we will see a perpetual license again? No, I don´t believe.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 12:37:30 pm

think of it this way:

Buy an NLE: FCPX/Motion, Avid, heck even media 100

Subscribe to a suite: Adobe CC, Avid, Autodesk (for 3d)

Choose Free professional level tools:
NLE: Lightworks
Image design: GIMP
Compositing: Fusion
3d: Blender

Is this really so difficult?

Re: Adobe and subscription:

It costs more if you don't bundle or commit to a term. That's the bottom line. If you are regular/heavy user, the bundle/commitment is a better value. If you are not, then don't.

I will say this....if you go month to month...just turn off "Auto pay" otherwise you will (by default) get charged for the next month when it's time to re-up.

I understand how everyone feels about "ownership" versus subscription.

I really read a lot and thought a lot about it.

I want great features, at regular intervals. To do this at regular intervals requires continuous development. That costs money. To level out the peaks an valleys in revenue a sensible subscription model was implemented. It all makes sense when you think about it.

In the end for me: going adobe means...

1) Access to one of the widest talent pools available on the planet
2) Consistent quality across apps that meet nearly all my creative needs.
3) Precisely because of the revenue model, more confidence that the tools I've chosen will be there tomorrow. As someone who worked for a competitor of Adobe, I can't tell how much public companies live and die by the fiscal quarter. Great great tools (boo hoo) have gone "POOF" or just languished away. (see me on the combustion forum :-) )

So there are plenty of choices out there.
Each with their caveats.

You're doing your diligence. I'm sure you will come to a decision that fits.

hope that is helpful..

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 20, 2015 at 6:17:27 pm

Alex, thank you for posting. I agree with what you are saying. For those interested, I did post a new topic on this forum with what I think would be a much better scenario. Have yet to receive a response. Rather than type it out again in its entirety, would love to see a buyout option after a set period. That way one can keep a permanent license with option of jumping back in at anytime without a huge increase in price. Something that Adobe at least consider. Tim, what are your thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Andy FieldRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:43:21 am

Used to upgrade every year...cost of subscription is virtually the same - and the upgrades come 4 to 6 times a year now.

1 If this is how you make your living and you're income stream doesn't generate enough for a 20, 30 or 50 dollar a month subscription...you are in the wrong business

2 - no one seems bothered by "renting" their phone and service - their internet - their cable modem...their cable service -- no one is screaming for an off ramp.

3 - you want access to your files - save them in an interchange format other programs will open (XML for video - Pixelmator will open and edit Photoshop files....) this is a non issue --

4 - Hard to fathom still working on CS5 when the advances Adobe engineers have offered since make you far more productive.

5 - Like CS5 or 6....keep it...keep your old computer and system software and use it forever...problem solved. For me - I love the time Adobe engineers save us on projects with the innovations they add with each release

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 3:44:33 pm

[Andy Field] "and you're income stream doesn't generate enough for a 20, 30 or 50 dollar a month"
1. If your income steam doesn´t generate enough for a fair, perpetual license, you can use for years, you´re in the wrong place

[Andy Field] "no one seems bothered by "renting" their phone and service"
2. …if I get something every month (gas, phone-calls, electricity, depending on my consumption…).
Adobe took the chance to buy a product. Now I have to sidebuy future services & development also (If I like or not). I don´t buy Applications depending on my needs - I have to buy the whole package.

[Andy Field] "you want access to your files - save them in an interchange format"
3. There are no interchange formats for many of their file-types, if I want to make changes with the FULL ACCESS to all Features. XML doesn´t support the export of all these features. And even if Pixelmator or Gimp can open .psd Files, they are NOT able to do so with FULL ACCESS to all features. Text-Layers or Masks are rendered in many cases & the ability of 3D editing isn´t full supported for example. Nearbay the same with .AI .AE .IND and so on. By the way: A workflow, where I have to save my files douple or twice (because I might chancel my subscription one day) isn´t as far as comfortable, as if I know, that I can open my files a lifetime because I own the license to do so.

[Andy Field] "working on CS5 when the advances Adobe engineers have offered"
4. Thanks Good, there are more than Adobes engineers on this planet.

[Andy Field] "Like CS5 or 6....keep it...keep your old computer and system software and use it forever...problem solved"
5. True. As I need my mature files regularly, I have some very old systems running here (which are not the ones I´m daily working with). I can open every file of the last 12 yrs (or more) by their original application, if I have to. Seems, you never need your creations again. Once done & delivered - forgotten, or?

[Andy Field] "I love the time Adobe engineers"
6. Nothing against them. They are - indeed - not the problem.

7. Seems, many of the pro-posters don´t realize, that there are users, who have different needs (File access to your archive, for example). So if you create Thousands of CC-Files, you get more and more dependent on these & Adobe. And without any guaranty what it will cost in the future to get this File-Access. Nor do i know, if I´m able to the end of all times, to pay for this, What, if Adobe will realize some day, that the steam of income doesn´t fit their needs in the long run? They will need a lot more of Subscribers, to come back on 2011-Level…?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 3:57:11 pm

Hey Rainer,

Nothing new in your response.

[Rainer Schubert] "What, if Adobe will realize some day, that the steam of income doesn´t fit their needs in the long run? They will need a lot more of Subscribers, to come back on 2011-Level…?"

Have you read the latest quarterly report from Adobe, out this week. They published the highest ever number for "steam of income" - but I suppose that you don't care much about facts?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Marco CataniaRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 5:27:50 pm

Mads,

I'm afraid, but there is also nothing new in yours and Andys response. You keep telling people that they are doing the wrong job/are not doing their maths/do not understand that files are not kept hostage and so on.

With your arguments, you could also say: "Well, your pictures will not disappear if you stop the subscription of your studio. They are still in your studio. If you need access for further working, you can subscribe again short term for a bargain and get the keys again." Come on Mads, you know it better. Rainer explained very well the issues in this matter.

And the comparison of creative software subscription with cable and phone is misleading. I do not have to spend months or even years to learn how to use phone or cable tv in profitable or a satisfying way. I do not produce proprietary works with my cable tv or phone. Completely different requirements here. To buy and learn software for the own creative work (professional or hobby) is a big decision, it is far more important to have the choice what fits better. And personally, to subscribe for creative software is not acceptable. And I am far to be alone isn't it? Isn't it remarkable that after three years the debate is still alive? Isn't it remarkable that some people renounce new features since start of CC? It is not just whining, its a real necessity for a lot of people to have the best choice.

That were just my comments now and then...

Kind regards
Marco

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 8:47:20 pm

[Marco Catania] "I'm afraid, but there is also nothing new in yours and Andys response."

Maybe not, but this thread is spread across several forums, so sometimes we have to repeat ourselves so those who have not unwittingly wandered off into the Debate forum, at least have chance to make an informed and balanced judgement.

Alex's post before the two you mentioned was spot on - he even took the time to list the choices.

[Marco Catania] "Come on Mads, you know it better. Rainer explained very well the issues in this matter."

Rainer have a habit of using old and out of date data - some may even call it false data, which IMHO is used to support an argument that is designed to hurt the business of Adobe, and indirectly those using Adobe CC.

[Rainer Schubert] "What, if Adobe will realize some day, that the steam of income doesn´t fit their needs in the long run? They will need a lot more of Subscribers, to come back on 2011-Level…?"

I give you two quotes to consider in this context from Adobe's statement "Adobe Reports Record Revenue, Strong
Q2 FY2015 Profit Growth Driven by Cloud Momentum; Creative ARR Tops $2 Billion" published on the 16th of June 2015.

1. Adobe achieved record quarterly revenue of $ 1.16 billion.

2. "Strong execution against our Creative Cloud, Document Cloud and Marketing Cloud businesses drove record revenue
," said Shantanu Narayen, Adobe president and chief executive officer. "We are accelerating the pace of
innovation in our Cloud offerings and are thrilled to be launching our best Creative Cloud release to date, which includes Adobe Stock – our new stock content service."

Sourced from:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/investor-relations/PDFs/616...

As Adobe have already passed 2011 levels in every way imaginable - financially, growth, R&D, functionality in new releases, stock price, etc. It is only fair to ask: What other points is Rainer wrong on, if he keeps on finishing his post(s) using old and incomplete data to advocate the demise of Adobe? In particularly when he knows that this is the case.

So Marco; Come On yourself - why do we need to listen to the repeats (including mine)? Isn't it about time someone brought something new to this discussion?

When that is said, let's continue this in the debate forum only - David have already started a new thread.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:50:13 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] ""Adobe Reports Record Revenue"
Wasn´t writing about Revenue. I wrote about income. A bit different. And a bit more important, I think.
And I also wasn´t writing about a single sight on ARR Income - I think, it´s more important to have a view on the company in complete.

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "Rainer have a habit of using old and out of date data"
I rember two posts, where I wasn´t right, but corrected immediately. I think, that´s more what you like the arguments to be.
And I also think, your "you don´t loose access to your files…" is also a little, a very little bit misleading. LOL
(And remarkable, that many others understand very exactly, what´s meant ;)

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "As Adobe have already passed 2011 levels in every way imaginable - financially, growth,"
I would say now, your arguments are not realy up to date ;).
Again: https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/net_income

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:37:04 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:00:41 pm

[Mads Nybo Jørgensen] "but I suppose that you don't care much about facts"

That means nothing else, that they had a record income by subscriptions.
Adobe knows how to use words ;)
But to deliver the facts about Adobes Net-Income:
https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/net_income

And, by the way… As you (just) congratulated Adobe, Analysts happiness about clouds is paddling back…
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Stock/ADBE/analystestimates?CountryCod...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 11:13:49 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "That means nothing else, that they had a record income by subscriptions.
Adobe knows how to use words ;)
But to deliver the facts about Adobes Net-Income:
https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/net_income"

Once again you are very selective. But as we already know and this have been pointed out in previous discussions: Net Income has nothing to do with revenue - and the "Net Income" number does not included the money the company spent on buying back stock and other investments.

There are many ways in which one can spin "Net income", but there are only one number for "total revenue" - which for the same reasons tend to be at the top most of the popular financial reporting websites.

Just to prove a point, let's look at the Adobe revenue for the last 5 years:
https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/revenues

Not only have Adobe just had it's best ever quarter. But if you analyze the upward trend from the graph, you'll notice a gradual growth up to the point today. Where as previously the revenue for the company only jumped on point releases - as you can clearly see on the graph for the last 5 years.

Based on the numbers from the reported 2 quarters in the current financial year, Adobe will this year smash their previous all-time high record.

Here is to me hoping that they will spend the money on improving products and grow value of the share, rather than hunting "net income".

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 12:21:11 am

Mads

You wrote, that my arguments are sometimes not correct.
You wrote "As Adobe have already passed 2011 levels in every way" compared with "financials"
What is simply not true, if we have a look on the very important Net.income. Not "every" way.
Does´t matter, but are you always absolutely correct with your arguments?
Think they are not more or less onesided than mine.
And don´t let this get to a financial debate. I think we don´t have the knowledge to do so.
And also, that not too much here are interested in.
So it´s OK, if you hope, Adobe will smash all numbers in sales, financials, orders, R&D whatever…
(PS.: wasn´t there a question if they spend more money in R&D since CC…? Any numbers that they do?)
I have my doubts.

All the best

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:47:09 am

Hey Rainer,

[Rainer Schubert] "You wrote, that my arguments are sometimes not correct."

That is my opinion, yes.

And to be fair, I am not always right either.

However, my only issue in this discussion is that you are IMHO making some bold statements about Adobe customer base and financials, based on out of date numbers. Which as you correctly say: Can be spun in any direction - but Adobe record revenue cannot be disputed.

Adobe spending on R&D is in general up on last year, but have had a tiny small drop in the last report - there could be several reasons for that, but not at a level that I would be worried about.

The rest in regards to functionality and operational, is an opinion where we may disagree, but either point is valid.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 6:52:59 pm

Phone, gas, electric and cable are all utilities. Software is not. For the most part, I agree on the other points.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:12:08 pm

Hey David,

I know that several people have made the same statement, and I am not singling you out intentionally - it is just that yours are at the end of a very long thread. Which the others will hopefully see the reply to too.

[David Mathis] "Phone, gas, electric and cable are all utilities. Software is not"

Maybe I've spent too much time in the COW Business & Marketing forum. However, without the Phone and Electrics, your business would not exist - if anything you might as well go back to basics and open a stone masonry...

Granted with the Gas, you might be cold, and without cable you might be bored, or not able to watch your work depending on your business. Not forgetting to mention you internet connection, for without that, you would not be able to visit the COW :-)

However, if you do not build in the annual cost of your utilities in the expense budget, then you won't have a business. The same goes for all your other expenditure. And you must remember to factor in the down-time where no client is ringing your phone, as you still have to pay for those services.

What Adobe have done, and done very well, is to turn their prime product(s) from a "nice to have software, that their clients may or may not update at every point release" to that of a "utility", that you cannot work without. Many other businesses have had to adapt too, those who didn't such as Blockbuster, Radioshack and many others - have died.

Is it fair on you that liked the way things were. No. But with all the companies today offering free apps and low cost alternatives, would Adobe have become the new "Blockbuster" of digital media creation if they had not been brave and changed the way that they did business?
I would say most likely.

Look at the positive side: With regards to tax, in some countries you are only able to write down a capital investment in the business over a number of years (normally 3-4 years = 33.3%/25% p.a.) on your tax return. Where as with a subscription, it can in most places be deducted in full straight away. For some of the larger companies with multiple subscriptions, this can make a huge difference on their annual tax return.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David Mathis@Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:33:54 pm

Mads,

Thank you for replying to my post. I did not feel singled out at all, so no worries! :-)

While we might not be in complete agreement, if we were there would be no debate, it is nice to see this debate is still going on.

I still strongly believe there should be an exit strategy. I am not alone in that belief and do respect that others will not exactly agree. Not at all offended, I can be strongly opinionated at times myself but working on keeping the emotion monster at bay. LOL

Perhaps the management at Adobe will at least consider a buyout option. With the smart phone, you kind of rent it then when it comes time to upgrade, you keep the old phone. Granted you can't make calls or do other stuff with the old phone. At least you can use it for other stuff. Having an older version with a permanent license attached is not bad. I just feel like I am still paying for it if I decided not to upgrade to the next version. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding on my part, then again not.

Just my honest opinion and like you, hope others see my post as well as your reply. Not at all offended, and thank you for replying.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:29:20 pm

No, you were not singled out.

[David Mathis] "I still strongly believe there should be an exit strategy. I am not alone in that belief and do respect that others will not exactly agree."

[David Mathis] "Perhaps the management at Adobe will at least consider a buyout option."

I think that your argument is valid to consider. However, I have had a busy weekend with family, so I haven't had time to respond to your post on that subject on the debate forum - now it seems to have gone?

Did you or someone else delete it? Will it be coming back?

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

David MathisRe: @Mads Nybo Jørgensen
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:57:26 am

I did delete my post. Might start a new thread.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Have a set subscription period of eighteen months, at end of term a chance to buyout at the current version or continue to subscribe.

2. During that time a two year mandatory subscription to storage or other services in the event subscriber does not wish to continue software subscription.

3. For long time subscribers there should be discounts on occasion.

4. For those wishing to exit after eighteen months, a premium fee of a one time payment.

So bottom line here is a locality buyout option with an additional discount being thrown in for those who wish to continue long term.

Love to hear your opinion and thank you for your contribution here.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2015 at 8:32:12 am
Last Edited By Mads Nybo Jørgensen on Jun 24, 2015 at 8:35:31 am

Hey David,

This thread is already soo long, so I don't think that anyone would notice another post, so as promised, here goes.

Personally I am indifferent as to whether Adobe is selling a permanent license or a subscription. However, from a business point of view, the better that Adobe can manage their cash-flow, the more creative they can get with R&D, which in turn will give the end-user better tools to add more creativity to our product.

Adobe have already shown that they can be bold when it comes to make decisions on the future of the product(s). I am hoping that they will take on larger long-term development projects in programming, that could not be commercially justified in the old permanent license point-by-point release economy.

The current end-user already have three options available to them: CS6, CC with a variety of subscription options, and that of finding a competing software supplier (Although the latter option will involve re-training and may not necessarily deliver the same functionality as a CC does).

[David Mathis] "1. (+ point 2, 3 & 4) Have a set subscription period of eighteen months, at end of term a chance to buyout at the current version or continue to subscribe."

It is a nice thought, but there are several issues to consider:
a) The Creative Cloud is an eco-system of Apps which are continuously modified to remove bugs and improve performance. Once in a while a major point release comes by. So at which point does Adobe remove access to those updates, from people wishing to exit the subscription plan?
b) From a subscriber point of view: Do I want Adobe to divert precious resources to program a permanent license option and to employ people to manage the process? Or do I want them to use that money to make improvements to the product for everybody to enjoy? My preference currently is for more innovations, rather than building another layer of administration, which I assume that they have just retired as a result of moving to CC.

I do understand that some people would like unlimited access to their old projects without having to make a 1 month payment to Adobe every time.

Other people have already pointed out the use of XML in exporting projects. Notwithstanding Adobe's own XMP, which from my point of view doesn't seem to be used enough when it comes to video (One of the innovative features I would like is for the speech recognition to come back in an improved form with a better editor), Both those two meta-data transfer modes can be used.

The crowd that have objected to the CC subscription model, what I don't understand is why they haven't tweaked their requirements - rather than digging a trench opposite of Adobe, throwing what is best described as rotten tomatoes against a concrete wall, which with the all time high share price is not likely to crumble anytime soon.

Instead, should they not think outside the box, and something that may even be of interest to Adobe:

PDF reader is one the most widely distributed pieces of software and very popular.

Why not ask for individual Photoshop, Illustrator, PPro, AE and so forth readers? Something that will allow you to access and read the file, but not make edits?

A basic reason for the existence of those readers could also (without revealing layers etc) be used by the end-client to add comments and draw on remotely, for the creative to get instructions about changes - I know that Adobe have already tried this with PPro and that some of the publishing packages allows it too - but why not have readers across all of the major apps?

The other option to consider, based on your suggestion of loyalty, is that the day you retire as an individual subscriber, you will be allowed to open all the old projects and make edits in them. But you won't be able to import additional materials and there are certain formats for exporting and/or saving out that is "locked".

Not sure if any of that is feasible, and as said: although not that young, I am still at an age where I prefer product innovation, over that of additional membership management tools for a small group of people who by all appearances have no negative (or positive) impact on the current success of the company.

Over to you.

All the Best
Mads

@madsvid, London, UK

Return to posts index

Adam VideoEditorRe: News: Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release
by on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:00:44 pm

Can't wait to get it!

-AD.VideoEditor
Please follow me on Twitter @ADVideoEditor and subscribe to my youtube channel Ad.VideoEditor
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtJAZgXTU0C4ir0N1P7Oxyw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]