ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Rendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary KingRendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 12:25:37 pm

Hi all, Gary here.

I'm new to the forum, so please point me in the right direction if this has been asked before. I'm creating a DVD for a local car club, and when I try to render, I'm getting two issues (other than the general disappointment of SD!). These appear regardless of player used:

1. 'Ghosting' (there's probably a more technical term!). Whenever the movement is anything other than very slow, I'm seeing a combination of two frames on the screen. 8936_screencapture.jpg.zip

2. Frame skipping. In some footage (eg. slider shots) there isn't a smooth result - more like a jump every few frames.

The environment is:
Premiere Pro CC/Windows 7
I7 processor/8gb ram/Nvidia 512mb graphics (to be upgraded)

Source cameras: Samsung NX1/Canon 6D &5Dii/Gopro 4 black (multi resolutions)

Sequence:
720p 24fps

Render settings:
MPEG2-DVD PAL/widescreen/progressive
Quality 100/25 fps/576x720/progressive/16:9
Maximum Depth
VBR 2 pass/min bit rate 2.8, target 6, max 8
Max render qual: Y
Frame blending: Y
Use previews: N

Any help would be much appreciated as the club are keen for their DVDs.

Many thanks,

Gary.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Rendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:54:32 pm

Hi Gary,

You didn't happen to check the "frame blending" box in Export settings? That might result in what you are seeing.

The root cause may be the 24p sequence. Is all the footage 24p? As I don't own any 24p-capable cameras, not experienced with the conversion process involved in some workflows. Is the DVD being authored as 24p?

Can you please share more about the source video formats, and if possible post a screen shot of the Export Settings window?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gary KingRe: Rendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 3:45:34 pm

Hi Jeff - thanks very much for your response. Unticking the frame blending has fixed the ghosting issue - brilliant. At the moment, I haven't authored a DVD, just rendered to mpeg-2 in preparation for it.

In terms of the frame skipping, it seems to happen if I render to h264 720p as well - leaving the settings as 'match source' (which is defaulting to 23.97fps. The skips are regular, approximately 1.5 seconds apart.

The source footage is of varying resolutions & frame rates e.g.:

Samsung NX1 (def skipping frames)
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 191.0 MB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 25.00

Canon 5Dii (looks like it may be ok)
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 4.0 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 23.976

Do you think UHD might be too much for my hardware (& cheap GPU) to handle, or is it more likely a problem with 25fps going into a 23.976 sequence (it looks like I pulled in the 23.976 footage in first and left that frame rate as a sequence default)? Is it worth me doing an intermediate render & pulling rendered footage back into the project?

Your help is much appreciated,

Gary.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Rendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'
by on Jun 16, 2015 at 4:02:09 pm

Hi Gary,

My old HDV cameras shoot 1080i only, so I have no experience with actually working with 24p as I mentioned before. However, one picks up a few things being on these forums daily.

So yes, if taking 25p down to 23.976, something has to give. Wish I could tell you the best method of conversion, but not my area of specialty.

One piece of advice, is never use "Match Source" for exports, take charge of it yourself. Just match settings to Sequence settings basically. There are just some downsides to using Match Source where it will do things you may not want, so I like to be in control of exports.

Was just thinking, if you have 25p clips you must be in a PAL country? While online clips can be whatever frame rate you like, if you want to make a DVD then is 24p even supported for PAL? You will likely need to use a 25p or 25i workflow for best results, but again not something I've worked with being in NTSC area.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gary KingRe: Rendering down to SD for DVD - frames 'ghosting'
by on Jun 17, 2015 at 8:02:22 pm

Thanks Jeff - yes, I'm in Cape Town, South Africa (PAL). Perhaps my mistake is capturing in two different frame rates, I might try setting the sequence settings to 25fps and checking the results. At least I now have a handle on what the issue may be. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]