ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth WeissNo Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 1:14:21 am
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Jun 15, 2015 at 1:43:55 am

After many weeks of being warned away from Yosemite due to Cuda issues with Premiere CC, I decided to test it out for myself.

I performed a 100% fresh install of all software from ground up.

First, I installed the Yosemite OS + updates, then the latest Nvidia drivers for my GTX 680 Mac Edition, and then the latest Cuda driver. It all worked perfectly, just as expected.

Next, I installed the latest version of Premiere CC, and I opened a project I'd started running under Mavericks. My project played flawlessly...

Then, I looked in the Project Settings to see if Premiere had detected that I had installed Cuda. I was pretty concerned to see that GPU Acceleration was set to OpenCL... I figured this was the point where my issues would begin, and I was prepared for the worst when I switched over to Cuda Acceleration. Then, I nervously hit play.

Lo and behold, there's not one minor problem so far... In fact, I think Yosemite does seem to make everything run a bit snappier that before under Mavericks.

I now suspect the source of many of the issues reported here may be that most users simply update the new OS over the top of the old OS, which has been the source of innumerable problems I've diagnosed for users on the FCP Legacy forum over the years.

So, be honest, have any of you who bitched and moaned about Cuda issues recently actually taken the time to do a ground-up install of ALL software, including the OS?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael BelangerRe: No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:02:57 pm

OK David so you are not working on CC 2014. I did the same as you and took a fresh drive and installed Yosemite and all the Adobe Cloud stuff mostly because Adobe basically send out an email indicating they are pretty much only supporting the new OS version ... I think from 10.9 up... cannot recall exactly. Plus FCP X needs the newer OS and I don't think you can find Mavericks if you are on 10.8... so you pretty much have to upgrade to Yosemite.
In all honesty I did find the software pretty buggy and had it give me a "SERIOUS ERROR" message many many times. Now when I launch my PRPro app and start a new project my options include Cuda and CL as options and generally that has worked relatively well but I do get some steppiness on busier sections. I am using an Nvidia QUADRO 4000... not sure how that compares to your GTX 680...likely the GTX has more "cuda cores" dunno

I might add that there is a real bug that I discovered... perhaps others do know about this....I found that if I faded on a graphic ... a jpg still for example let's say a picture of some sort..... if you fade that on and use an opacity setting of lower than 100 .. a half mix or superimpose if you will.... I found that when you rendered that out you got a noticeable blip in video level for that still... It would not fade up smoothly but hiccup at the top of the fade. My work around was to do a manual fade up using opacity keyframes... This only was an issue if the still was not full opacity. But this is a real pain. Not sure if this is related to the video card during play out or render out or just a software bug but it is entirely reproducible for sure.

Return to posts index

Daniel SametzRe: No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:06:48 pm

Hi, David
I dis a clean install of Yosemite but I still have the problems with CUDA. It seems to be better now with the updates but I still have occasionally graphics glitches and Premiere is not 100% stable.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 6:21:02 pm

[Michael Belanger] "OK David so you are not working on CC 2014."

Hi Michael,

Actually, I am on CC 2014.2 - 8.2.0 (65) Build - the latest ver of CC 2014.

[Michael Belanger] "I might add that there is a real bug that I discovered... perhaps others do know about this....I found that if I faded on a graphic ... a jpg still for example let's say a picture of some sort..... if you fade that on and use an opacity setting of lower than 100 .. a half mix or superimpose if you will.... I found that when you rendered that out you got a noticeable blip in video level for that still... It would not fade up smoothly but hiccup at the top of the fade."

I'll try that here to see what I get... But, the BIGGER issue reported here with Cuda was that people were getting totally funky video playback.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael BelangerRe: No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Jun 15, 2015 at 6:36:25 pm

Yeah no issues playing stuff back for me.... a bit stuttery at times but it is only a quadro 4000. So do you have the GTX 680 with 2 gig vram or supposedly there is a 4 gig vram...

Return to posts index

Joseph HungRe: No Cuda issues whatsoever with Yosemite
by on Nov 17, 2015 at 10:38:46 pm

Hi David et al,

I've done a fresh clean install of Yosemite 10.10.5, with CUDA Driver 7.0.64 (as Peter Garaway from Adobe has stated in another very long thread about this issue, as being stable). I also tested it with the newer CUDA driver 7.5.2, still same issue.

My system is a Mac Pro 5,1, GeForce GTX 680 2GB for Mac, Yosemite 10.10.5, Adobe CC 2015, Nvidia driver that comes with OSX, CUDA

When I export using CUDA, graphical issues. When I try to export using OpenCL, Media Encoder crashes.

No sleep for the weary.

Joseph

work.tulpapictures.com
@TulpaPictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]