ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad PhillipsFrame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 9, 2015 at 2:02:56 pm

Hello All,

With all of the flavors of HD out there I had a question or two regarding frame rate sizes.

A lot of times if I want a basic standard of a 1920x1080 comp in After Effects at a 29.97 frame rate I'll use the HDTV template that pulls down when you have the comp setting window open. Coming from Final Cut 7 I've been rending out my AE comps in Pro Res or if it has an alpha channel, I'll render the animation codec within quicktime.

In Premiere there is no template for HDTV but there is one for HDV at 1440x1080. These are NOT the same codecs correct? I ask in that HDTV is at 1440x1080. A few years back for myself it was XDCam with AVID using DNX and XDCam, then Final Cut with Pro Res with P2. Speaking of which, why is XDCam at 1440x1080 in Premiere as well?

Secondly, if you're editing a 1920x1080 comp in Premiere then what do you use at for a template if you're mastering in Pro Res? Would I just do a custom template at 1920x1080?

I'm still using Pro Res because my co-workers are very slow making the transition to Premiere from the long dead Final Cut 7 but I'm a HUGE fan of Premiere so far. Just trying to figure out some of the differences.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:41:41 am

You can use 1440 in a 1080 Sequence.

HDV is just a rectangular pixel instead of a square HD pixel.

This fact makes up the dimension difference for 1920 from 1440( if that makes sense)

You may or may not have to "Interpret/Modify" Footage PAR.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CC2014 Suite, Resolve
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:26:30 pm

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?

You can also create and save your own custom Sequence settings for regular re-use.

Return to posts index

Brad PhillipsRe: Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 7:48:15 pm

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm using Premiere CC Version 8 2014.0

At home I think I'm using an even newer version than here at work.

After I wrote that question I did see that under the CUSTOM setting for a sequence it gives you the option for Pro Res.

How do I save a template for using this?

Return to posts index

Trent HappelRe: Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 10:10:14 pm

New Sequence will allow you to save a custom preset. In the New Sequence dialog, select the Settings tab, change you your desired settings, then click the Save Preset button (bottom left of dialog).

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Frame Size-Sequence Settings Question
by on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:27:34 pm

Hi Brad,

Premiere is really not that picky about what flavor of video you put into a sequence - the important factor is that the settings match. In other words if the sequence is 1920x1080, 29.97 frames, Progressive, 1.0 Pixel Aspect, then ANY clip with those parameters will work fine together.

You could mix and match ProRes, AVCHD, DSLR clips etc. in this project. Doesn't matter. You could even toss in some HDV clips just for fun and the 1440x1080 clips will fill the frame (1440x1.333 pixel aspect = 1920, so HDV clips do fit the 1920x1080 frame just fine).

One easy way to select an appropriate sequence preset is to drag a clip from the Project Bin onto the "New Item" button which is next to the Trash Can. This will match up a sequence preset to your media, and it just grabs the first one it finds that matches. So you might have an AVCHD clip and end up with a "ARRI" preset, but doesn't matter if settings match your clip.

The only difference from one preset to another could be the "render preview codec", however I seldom render at all in the timeline and never "Use Previews" in final export, so I don't care what it renders to ;-)

Hope this is helpful

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]