ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

DVD SD VOB to DCP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul SmithDVD SD VOB to DCP
by on Jun 7, 2015 at 1:02:56 pm

Hello all,

I have to take footage from SD DVD VOBs and import for edit. The final project will be screened in a cinema and likely will require DCP conversion

What is my best available workflow? I was thinking of converting the VOBs into their native format (720 x 576 PAL) ProRes via MPEG Streamclip. I was then going to edit, export the film, and then use a Teranex to up-res to 2K for DCP. Is this the best option? Or converting the VOBs into 1080i via Streamclip, THEN going to a Teranex?

Also, when creating ProRes files from anamorphic DVD content, 720x576 is the unscaled option in MPEG Streamclip.....is this correct to do? Then set the timeline to Anamorphic which will naturally stretch the anamorphic content to a 16:9 frame?

Many thanks for your suggestions

Return to posts index

Kalin KalinovRe: DVD SD VOB to DCP
by on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:01:43 pm

Hey, man! :)

I am in a bit of a similar situation.
Here is the process I am working on at the moment:

1. Demuxed the DVD into a single MPEG file keeping original parameters as I did not want to lose any quality in extending it straight to a higher resolution.

2. Used Premiere Pro CC to convert to TIFF at the necessary resolution. The lowest possible seems to be 1998 x 1080. Keep in mind that the quality will suffer here. And that is normal when you extend a DVD into a higher resolution content.

3. Via OpenDCP, convert the TIFF to JPEG2000 (going to take some time) and eventually the plan is to have it in a DCP version.

So, I am in the middle of the process. Did a test run with 1 minute of content, just to make sure that it will work. Putting aside the fact that my screen is twisting the colors a bit (still watchable), things seem to be working. And of course, the quality is not too great. Hope that helps. Let me know what are you going to do :)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30:27 pm

Just a bit of an update...

I did the packaging. The DCP works just fine. The quality is a bit off but it is a result of expanding the DVD into a DCP resolution. Otherwise, the process works perfectly. And I believe it would be suitable for projection on a big screen. Not too big though, don't go IMAX :D

Good luck with your project. Let me know how it turns out! :)

Return to posts index

Paul SmithRe: DVD SD VOB to DCP
by on Jun 12, 2015 at 11:44:03 pm

Thanks Kalin! I'll try it out. Can I ask what you're DVDs consist of in terms of content?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2015 at 4:26:42 pm

Sure :)
I am editing documentary and my material is related to the subject.
I could not track down any higher resolution source for the same material, so I had to go this way.

Let me know how yours works out!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2015 at 4:28:41 pm

Also, keep in mind that due to the change in the colors your computer would probably have a difficult time reading them right. I used a trial version of Neo DCP Player. It only lets you play 1 min. at a time but shows you the true color pallette and possible glitches which thankfully I didn't have. :)

Return to posts index

Renato SilvaRe: DVD SD VOB to DCP
by on Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08:06 pm

Hey, guys!

I am in similar situation. I shot everything in SD (720 x 480p) a long time ago and I unfortunately could be brought to an end this year thanks to the good conditions to do it.

However, the screening formats have changed so fast for the last years that DVD is nearly to be out of date even for smaller and medium sized festivals. So bad!

Well, what could it be worked with footage shot in SD? Most of smaller and medium sized festivals still accept Blu Ray format, but there is no SD for it, the minimum is H264 – HD 1080 x 720; H264 – HD 1920 x 1080; MPEG4 – HD 1080 x 720.

Which suggestions would you make for someone editing SD footage and needing to HD Blu ray?

Many thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]