ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

001. Custom shortcut not doing as told

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson001. Custom shortcut not doing as told
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 3:42:54 pm

Haven't spent much time on Premiere Pro (couple of decades on Avid and several projects on FCP 7 though) and even less time on Adobe's Premiere Pro Forum, but, so far, I'm finding that site to not be that helpful. So I'm reposting a couple of things here to see if I have better luck. BTW, I haven't been on here in a while so my signature is dated. I'll correct that soon.

Here's the first question:

I've mapped the period ('.') with no modifier (and no, that's not some sort of Edward Munch emoticon) as Add Marker. It works fine if I've highlighted the Source or Program windows, but if I highlight a clip in the Timeline window it advances the clip one frame and if I have nothing highlighted in the timeline, as best I can tell, nothing happens.

My assumption was the one frame advance was the default function for '.', but the Keyboard Shortcuts window says '.' is the Overwrite command. And I'm guessing (still new to Premiere) that nothing happens in the timeline if I have no clips highlighted because nothing is supposed to happen under those circumstances.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Martin
Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 Release v. 8.1 (but my home system running 8.2 does the same thing)
Mac OS 10.9.5

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Matrox MXO2 Mini, Driver v.2.2.3.0043

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: 001. Custom shortcut not doing as told
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:59:24 pm

So what happens when you load the default PPro keyboard layout? Does M mark your timeline or selected clip?

Return to posts index

Martin NelsonRe: 001. Custom shortcut not doing as told
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 10:38:00 pm

Yes, M puts a Marker where requested.

Martin

OS 10.9.5
Quicktime 7.6.6
Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 v.8.2.0
Avid Media Composer 7.04
FCP 7.0.2

System 1
MacPro 2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870

System 2
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 1:29:38 am

Maybe you haven't actually saved and/or loaded the changes you thought you did. Check that and also try trashing your preferences to get all that to reload from scratch.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 7:39:57 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Maybe you haven't actually saved and/or loaded the changes you thought you did. Check that..."

But 'period' works when I hit it with the Program window selected. Consistently and even after a computer restart.

[Paul Neumann] "and also try trashing your preferences to get all that to reload from scratch."

OK, I've tried that on my home MacPro and MacBookPro and that wasn't it. And, since I don't yet sufficiently understand Premiere, I'm not prepared to trash the preferences on my client's system.

But in setting myself up again and testing after trashing preferences, I did find the source of the issue and it feels like a bug to me. I started creating my keyboard shortcuts by choosing the Avid Media Composer 5 preset from the Keyboard Layout Preset. I Saved As and modified the copy. It appears that if I build my settings from the default settings instead, the problem does not appear.

Too bad. I thought I was going to save myself a lot of time starting from the default Avid settings.

Martin

OS 10.9.5
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 7.04
FCP 7.0.2

System 1
12 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870

System 2
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 10:07:37 pm

That's a little nutty to be sure. But I've only ever built presets from the Default layout. Glad you're getting some clarity on it all.

IMHO it's really worth it to just learn the default layout. It's really well thought out.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 10:09:50 pm

[Paul Neumann] "IMHO it's really worth it to just learn the default layout. It's really well thought out."

Fair enough, Paul, but I'm not sure I want to give up twenty years of muscle memory when I'm still using Avid as well.

Martin

OS 10.9.5
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 7.04
FCP 7.0.2

System 1
12 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870

System 2