ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Creating a Masked Crop Effect Template

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McAlpineCreating a Masked Crop Effect Template
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 9:05:39 pm

I created a custom crop that I applied to a video. I need to apply this crop to multiple videos. I tried pasting the crop onto an adjustment layer but when I place a new video under the adjustment layer, the crop doesn't happen. Is there another way I can create this template in Premiere?

I can't just copy and paste the crop onto every video because I have to scale and reposition each video within the mask. Here is a screen shot of the crop I need for reference.

Thank you in advance,
Nathan McAlpine
Freelance Video Editor

Return to posts index

Jordan QuackenbushRe: Creating a Masked Crop Effect Template
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 6:58:17 pm

What is the purpose of the crop? Graphics from underneath? Graphics above?

Since you need a consistent crop on unconsistent footage (scales/repositions), then what is the consistent - a graphics overlay, etc.? Can you do what is needed on that track/footage/graphic, and get the effect you want without touching the footage itself?

Jordan Q
If I'm posting a question, it means I've Googled it for far too long and couldn't find a solution/answer.

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpineRe: Creating a Masked Crop Effect Template
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:00:43 pm

Thanks for the response Jordan. I'm exporting the video from Premiere with an alpha channel and placing it on a full screen graphic in AE.

Nathan McAlpine
FCP and now Premiere Editor

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:03:56 pm

What about just exporting the video from Premiere without any crop, then just mask it in AE?

Jordan Q
If I'm posting a question, it means I've Googled it for far too long and couldn't find a solution/answer.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:32:56 pm

I guess I'm not sure how to make that mask.. I can make the mask on one video. Then if I copy it to another video, I don't know how to reposition the video under the mask since the mask moves with the video. Is there a way to make one mask and only have it effect the layers I specify?

Nathan McAlpine
FCP and now Premiere Editor

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:43:00 pm

Couple of ideas, since I don't know the end goal/product:

You can export your AE graphics, and implement them in Premiere with your footage.

You can bring all your clips into AE, and precomp them. Put the mask on the precomp, and move the clips around in the precomp, and they'll be in place on the main composition with the mask being stationary.

If one of these isn't what you're looking to do, could you explain the end result you're wanting to achieve? (and maybe throw up a screen shot or two of your timeline/composition?)

Jordan Q

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 3:22:49 am

Good call on the precomp! That worked perfectly.
I was excited to finally have a good use for an adjustment layer in Premiere and I overlooked a good AE solution.

Thanks!

Nathan McAlpine
Freelance Video Editor

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 12:39:59 pm

Glad to help.

If/when I use AL's in Premiere, it's generally for a quick project where I don't have the budgeted hours to do proper color correct, so I'll make it track-long and put some sharpening & a luma curve, generally. Or if you want to apply a LUT to the whole project (or large portions).

Jordan Q

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]