ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany BellamyDynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 3:05:16 pm

Hello Creative Cow!

I'm working on a video involving an instructor talking in front of a white background and animated graphics appearing next to the instructor. These graphics are animated in After Effects and then dynamic linked into the Premiere sequence.

The background was not pure white when shot, so used the white input levels to make it whiter, and cropped out edges that were too dark to bother with and put a white matte underneath it to fill the rest of the screen. However, if we have a graphic that straddles the seam, it fades on in halves (see below).

Any way around this and still maintaining the dynamic link?

Return to posts index

Brittany BellamyRe: Dynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:11:07 pm

If anyone stumbles upon this and needs the answer, I figured it out! The white levels were bumping the luminance up too high. I put the Broadcast Colors effect on the video and it fixed it! Now my graphics look perfect and the background is still white :)

Return to posts index

Jordan QuackenbushRe: Dynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:14:59 pm

I'd love to see a screenshot of the timeline & composition - but some questions.

What's the blending mode on the graphic? Is there something covering it? Is it, assumedly, a clean alpha in AE?
Does the same thing happen with a Garbage Matte instead of Crop?

Once it finishes its fade, does it look normal?

Jordan Q
If I'm posting a question, it means I've Googled it for far too long and couldn't find a solution/answer.

Return to posts index

Brittany BellamyRe: Dynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:38:29 pm

Hi! Blending mode is Normal. All graphics have clean alpha and are from AE or are text from Premiere. Nothing is covering the graphics. The problem did persist with a garbage matte.

It does look normal after the fade finishes.. unless you play back at a low resolution in Premiere or on Youtube. Then graphics look burnt around the edges and you can see the seam where the video and white matte edges meet.

The only thing that seems to have fixed it (and it's working perfectly so far!!) is putting the Broadcast Colors effect on the video that has its whites boosted. I think what was happening is that by boosting the whites to get the background white, I was also boosting the video's luminance and that was bleeding through my graphics. So maybe the broadcast colors effect is limiting the luminance? It's working and not affecting anything else in the shot so I'm pretty happy for now :)

Return to posts index

Jordan QuackenbushRe: Dynamic Link After Effects and Premiere effects rendering weird
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:42:14 pm

Yeah, pure white is a PITA. Depending on your monitor, it might have appeared white on both the BG and the white matte, but an actual difference existed. The use of the Broadcast Colors helped to bring it all overblown, and "seamless."

Jordan Q
If I'm posting a question, it means I've Googled it for far too long and couldn't find a solution/answer.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 7:50:42 pm

Yeah the lighting was pretty low budget so it's not been easy..

So when you say it's all overblown, is that bad? On the Vectorscope it looks like the effect is bringing the hottest whites down from around 110 to 100. Really appreciate your response, btw!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 8:01:18 pm

I might be wrong on this, but I've found the best way to get "pure white" is to actually shoot on green and add it in - unless you've got the lighting power to blow out the BG to pure white. But then, usually a 90-95% white looks good but isn't pure white.

What's the end deliverable? If it's web, you can't get "more white" than #FFFFFFF/ 255,255,255 (Hex code & RGB values, respectively). Broadcast is an animal I'm not familiar with, but I would think it'd be similar.

"Overblown" isn't necessarily a bad thing - usually it is, yeah. You don't want overblown footage where all your highlights have lost information, etc. But for a "pure white BG" effect, you want overblown in your whites (especially if you're cropping/matting footage), otherwise, you'll get little problems where some monitors will display whites differently. I learned this the hard way years ago when I had a project that was shot on white, garbage matted away the set, put white behind it, and brought the levels up to where I couldn't distinguish. Turns out there was a slight variance, and that it showed up on the client monitor. That's a big "oops."

Jordan Q

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 8:50:53 pm

Same thing happened to me with the clients. I was so surprised and disappointed because it took forever to get it looking the way I did!

I'll keep the green screen in mind for next time. This is just for web so fingers crossed it'll work out.

Thanks again for your input!! It's been 'illuminating' :D

Return to posts index

by on Jun 5, 2015 at 8:52:34 pm

Happy to help, and always appreciate a cheesy pun ;-) Good luck.

Jordan Q

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]