ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave WhitackerCan you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 12:33:57 am

Hi all,

The short question is:

Can you recreate a timeline sequence easily, if you only have the final exported video?

To explain; I have a client that has an hour long finished and exported video that they edited a few years ago, and they would like a new edit done of it (audio changes, a few more shots inserted etc). The problem is they've lost the project file. They do however have every single piece of original footage used in the exported film.

Is there a way to get Premiere Pro or any other program if required to analyse the finished video, compare it to a folder containing all the media it's composed of, and then create a basic timeline that roughly replicates the edit?

I don't expect miracles (especially with transitions etc), but detecting and replicating simple jump cuts etc would make this process A LOT easier.

Cheers

Dave

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Can you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:06:39 am
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:07:27 am

You mean split it based on scene changes ?
Yes you can, there are couple ways that i know of.

If you have After Effects, use Magnum Edit Detector (available on AEScripts.com) you can copy paste the comp to premiere project panel, no quality loss whatsoever.

On Premiere, you can generate EDL (Edit decision list) based XML, using fprobe (you can get fprobe by downloading FFMPEG). It's free. but the result it's not as good as AE way.
Here's how:
http://www.danielbachler.de/Automatic-scene-detect-via-ffmpeg-and-create-ed...

If you have Speed Grade, you can also split it. But i'm not sure whether it can be imported back to premiere. Maybe it can, but i never done it before.

To auto-compare with the existing footage,...hmmm...
I have no idea at the moment, in fact i think that was a million dollar question.
The closest you can get is generate timeline thumbnail, then compare manually (might be tedious, but it's more efficient if you comparing a huge number of files than manually scrubbing in the timeline one by one)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162466

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Dave WhitackerRe: Can you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 2:01:53 pm
Last Edited By Dave Whitacker on Jun 2, 2015 at 2:22:09 pm

Hi Oki,

I found the Magnum detector plugin for AE and that appeared to solve the first stage. I'm still trying to find a comparison tool that can then automatically replace the footage with the original. (The client's exported video is 360p and they have the original 1080p source files still). Mathematically it should be possible with a form of comparison macro. It may take a day or 2 to run on an hour long project, but it should be possible.

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Can you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 3:30:53 pm
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:08:16 pm

If the audio track is unchanged, you can find the clip by comparing them using PluralEyes, you can even find the exact cut.
The downside is, you have to choose the exact source footage. And there are no batch function in PluralEyes, AFAIK.

If the audio is not reliable and you only have the video as information,..hmmmm...

OK..this was on top of my head, but i think it should be possible (to some extent).

You can "abuse" MSU codec comparison tools, they can use SSIM (Structural Similarity).

This was designed to compare two video files with different codec, the closer the value to one, the more similar to the original file.

Now,..you can abuse this functionality to your need.

Extract the first frame from the generated clip/head clip, then compare the still image to the source video.
You can also joined all the source video using avisynth, negating the need to compare each video individually.
The still image need to be converted into video, you didn't have to render at all if you use avisynth.

But don't forget to resize the source video to the exact same size as your 360p.

Now, when they finished the comparison, the result will be presented in csv file, you can find the exact frame by seeing the number, it supposed to be 1, or very close to 1. The data also comes with the frame count, so you can find the exact frame/cut at the same time.

Sorry if it didn't makes sense, it hard to convey structurally what i mean in english.

Edit :
Ooh,.forgot to mention, MSU codec tools can do batch processing, but the batch procesing only available in Pro version, a $1000 software. The free version can only do one file at a time.

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Jun 2, 2015 at 8:45:34 pm.

by on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:23:14 pm
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:45:44 pm

Here's another (obvious) idea:
Use duplicate image finder. I'm sure many of them have batch feature.
The downside is, well,..you have to extract from each video to image sequence, it will give you tons of pic.

Edit :
Oohh,.i found an interesting software,.this mght be it. I didn't check/use ti though, i only read the feature.
http://www.attrasoft.com/products_videofinder.asp

Another edit:
http://duplicatevideosearch.com/
Also,..
http://www.yuvsoft.com/2d-technologies/video-matching/

And there are many of other software if you use keywords like "fingerprint", "content id".

Good luck, and let us know which workflow you use in the end, i'm curious about this myself.

Return to posts index

Dave WhitackerRe: Can you create a sequence from exported video? (have lost project file, but have source clips)
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:52:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave Whitacker on Jun 21, 2015 at 11:08:09 pm

Hi again Oki,

Sorry for the delay, been busy on another project.

I've looked through those links and none of them quite fit the bill unfortunately. There must be a solution though.....

I'll continue the search, but the way I see it; the solution works in 3 stages.

1) Separate the final 360p output into it's individual scenes (clips). (looks like a PP extension might exist, or speed grade if not)
2) find a program that can then scan the individual clips and find their match in a folder containing the original HD media.
3) detect start and end points required and then insert it into sequence, replacing 360p footage with HD....and also allowing a new edit to be done.
4) manually tweak the bits that didn't work, but breath easy at saving days and days of work.

Any coders reading this that do coding for money?

***EDIT*** if there's a video comparison tool that can compare one video to a bin of videos and detail the duplicate frames, then it would be possible to at least transpose the data and create a project like: first clip: abcd.mov frame 34 to 149
second clip: efgh.mov frame 438 to 789
etc etc, and then build it manually from the data provided?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]