ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Overheating / Poor performance with ProRes HQ 4k on MBP Retina

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian SarfattyOverheating / Poor performance with ProRes HQ 4k on MBP Retina
by on May 30, 2015 at 6:18:38 pm
Last Edited By Brian Sarfatty on May 30, 2015 at 6:39:09 pm

So... I having major performance issues on my MBP Retina -

Basically, after a few mins of working with 4K footage, I hear the fan spin up, the area just above the keyboard gets super hot, and performance crawls to an unacceptable pace (so many dropped frames I can no longer tell what I'm looking at).

If I completely shut down the computer, and let it cool down, and restart, performance is fine (perfect playback) for another 15-20 mins or so, then it heats up to an unusable level and I have to shut down again.

I have even started putting the computer in the fridge between power cycles to cool it down faster. And applying cold compresses to the hot area to slow down the overheating.

Suffice it to say, this is no way to work.

I have tried turning down playback and paused resolution way down to 1/4 or 1/8th. I have tried closing all other applications. I have tried de-fragmenting my hard drive. I have tried switching between various graphics acceleration modes (mercury, CUDA, OpenCL).

I have worked with RED plenty of times in 4k+ on the same machine and NEVER had this type of issues. .r3d files play smooth like butter. I have only recently started working with 4K recorded as ProResHQ via the Odyssey.

Any performance or recording suggestions greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Macintosh HD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

OSX Yosemite 10.10.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]