ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

creating DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff cordellcreating DVD
by on May 29, 2015 at 7:24:02 am

Hi everyone .I'm not a professional or even a hobbyist . This is my first effort at working with anything to do with film, video , videography, codecs, formats or any programs at all like ADOBE PRO CC and I could sure use some guidance with some aspects .
I am creating a DVD for my 90 yr old mother ; she needs to be able to just put a disk in a player and hit play.
I want the project ( DVD ) to consist of 5 different media types.

Media Types -

1) text pages created in Libre Office (.ODT) ; describing what she will be viewing ; as an introduction

2) a short Android video from my phone ; formatted appropriately ; of myself speaking to her

3) 71 web pages " saved as " into a folder which also opened originally with Libre Office - .ODT ; .. from 3
different web sites I have an interest in ; so she can see photos and read text of these sites

4) videos I downloaded from You Tube such as - Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald and others from her generation

5) another short Android video or just photos - of where I'm living now and the surrounding grounds.

My understanding is that I can use Premiere Pro cc to create the project.
And then Adobe Encore to burn the DVD? Is this right?

I have already taken the text pages and the web pages and formatted them to .jpg and added them into a Premiere Pro CC project along with 13 of the you tube videos ; successfully. Just as a sample effort.

But I ended up with a 10GB FILM . Also the text is blurry and too small. I am aware that I need to pay attention to the fact that she will be watching this DVD on a TV.

Someone suggested that I should create a Powerpoint project and that in doing so I could correct or change the size and clarity of the text and web pages. ??? Does anyone know if this is correct ? and the right way to go ? Am I on the right track

I'm not planning on using any Menus, Transitions or Effects for this DVD. I may try to cut out and shorten some of the individual you tube videos though.

One of the things I don't know is how to fit all this onto the DVD disks. I know it will be more than 1 disk though. What formatts ? Do the programs automatically format or encode for a DVD project just by exporting for DVD ??. Do I need to create a slideshow for any reason ; like for Powerpoint ?? If I create a Powerpoint project do I do it before or after Adobe . What I mean is which program do I use 1st to create a project and which program 2nd and so on ??

Could someone please tell me if I am going about this in the right way. ??

any and all input will be greatly appreciated. thank you JCC

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: creating DVD
by on May 29, 2015 at 11:11:33 am

Hi Jeff,

What a nice thing to do for your grandmother - she will no doubt be proud!

Yes, Encore is the way to go for burning DVD's and there are lots of tutorials on how to create them.

There is also a bunch of Encore Library Content that you can download for free which will give a number of pre-built menus that may suit your needs.

If your text is blurry, identify what part of your content is giving you those results. If it is the conversion of your .odt files to jpg, then you need to consider saving the stills as a larger file with more resolution to see if that helps.

At the end of the day, you need to a) make sure your content looks good in Premiere Pro (not blurry) and b) that you export it correctly to Encore for creating a DVD (typically MPEG2-DVD format)

Good luck,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

jeff cordellRe: creating DVD
by on May 29, 2015 at 11:51:35 pm

Dennis thanks for your reply.
I have some confusion about Encore. Is it a part of Premiere Pro or only CS6 . I looked around and unless I'm mistaken I can't get it because I'm on the 30 day trial for Premiere Pro and Media Encoder . I found the Encore updates page and downloaded the file for 6.0.2 but of course it won't install cause I don't have Encore.
So I guess I'll have to settle for burning with some other program. Any suggestions on what to use ? IMG BURN ??

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: creating DVD
by on May 30, 2015 at 10:30:43 am

Hi Jeff,

Check out this blog entry from my buddy on how to install Encore CS6 from your Creative Cloud subscription.

https://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2013/06/installing-premiere-cc-encore-...

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: creating DVD
by on May 30, 2015 at 12:11:23 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on May 30, 2015 at 12:13:39 pm

That is correct as long you are on a trial you cannot get Encore.
You can install and use Premiere CS6 but there will be no Encore, does not come in trial version. Never has.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2015 at 6:28:04 pm

Hi Dennis . I followed Dav's instructions but C Cloud doesn't offer me any previous versions - only opens my installed version . I did find this page for previous versions but don't know how far back to go - which previous version to install for Encore integration
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Wind...

this address worked when I copied and pasted it.

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2015 at 7:02:00 pm
Last Edited By jeff cordell on May 30, 2015 at 8:19:50 pm

If I install the whole suite - CS6 - with C Cloud will that enable me to use Encore or should I just install a previous version of Premiere Pro , and again which one ?

thank you

I've realized that $19.99 for a month is exceptionally worth it and will do this on the 1st of June.

thank you all . can now get back to the business of creating a DVD

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: creating DVD
by on May 31, 2015 at 1:07:12 pm

How to get Encore when on a subscription.
Encore is part of Premiere CS6.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2015 at 6:26:03 pm

thank you everyone. Thanks to your replies and searching around I have done I have realized I should stop trying to get out cheap . As I said in another thread it is very well worth the cost especially since I can control my purchase time period.

thank you all

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: creating DVD
by on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:03:15 pm

Hi Jeff,

The first thing to realize is that DVD is always "Standard Definition", which limits the resolution to just 720x480. Period. This is low-quality compared to computer displays, which years ago were maybe 1024x768 at minimum, but now average full HD at 1920x1080 pixels.

Computers also use RGB color for very crisp display of any color, while DVD uses NTSC (television) color which is sub-par and cannot display oversaturated colors common to computer programs and web content.

Plus, DVD uses lossy MPEG-2 compression. Therefore, when trying to convert sharp, high-resolution RGB computer graphics to NTSC, MPEG-2 compression for DVD, the result is for the most part unreadable unfortunately, looking like mud compared to the original. Web sites use small text that just does not work in NTSC/DVD format.

You may wish to rethink the delivery method, perhaps using Blu-ray 1080 HD instead, or an H.264 file. If she has a newer HD display, many of them have a USB port into which you just insert a USB memory stick with the H.264 file on it and the TV then plays it in HD quality.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:21:48 pm

Jeff thank you sooo much for this info . You probably saved me days of trial and error .
I like your idea about blu-ray ; unfortunately I'm limited by financial constraints - also the TV is - just a TV.
Do you know if the idea about using Powerpoint in some way could work ? I'm going to explore that idea now and search etc. to find out. Any other avenues or delivery solutions are welcome .

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 3:33:16 pm

I actually don't have much PP experience. I can tell you that if Grandma only has an old SD CRT television, any document/website text that you try to have her view will be illegible unless you can use much larger than normal fonts.

Years ago, I used a screen recording software to create a software tutorial that was then delivered as DVD. Looked like mush and I ended up redoing the project and delivering for PC viewing only, at a higher resolution, where the words were then quite clear.

What is the expected length of the finished video? One can usually go 90-120 minutes on DVD with decent quality. You mentioned a 10GB export file size, what format was that? When exporting for DVD, you want to use "MPEG-2 DVD" and nothing else. The bitrate can be adjusted according to the program length to make it fit (within reason).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:35:32 pm

I've decided to put the text, Android video and web pages on 1 disk and the You Tube videos on another; probably more than 1 as I have many videos I want to include.
I don't expect the text and web page disk to be full. Part of my problem is I don't know how large to make the font; I guess trial and error is in order. Also , if I increase the font size in an .ODT I don't know how any photos on those pages will be affected. So I guess I have to experiment with font sizes and also resolution of the .ODT files. I'm not even sure how to make lasting changes to the font size in a doc. Have to figure that out first.Do you see how inexperienced I am ; not only with videos etc. but even simple word and text programs.

I shall overcome.

Oh , it's for my Mom .

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:52:38 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Pulera on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:53:46 pm

Rather than typing up text documents, then trying to convert them, why not make title screen right in Premiere, then you will know how the font size looks from the get-go.

You ought to be able to copy/paste from text doc into Premiere Titler.

Plus, documents are typically 8.5x11 (portrait mode) while screens are landscape mode, so better off to create that media natively in Premiere.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2015 at 9:32:00 pm

Do you mean copy and paste every doc page into 1 title page ? or each page into it's own title page ? either way what a great solution .
Seems like I need to create a title page for each doc page .

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2015 at 2:13:14 pm

With most text documents, such as a Word doc, the text is going to be far too small to convert to DVD, and in fact may not even work well for HD video. You will have to decide what font size will be legible for NTSC SD video, and then copy/paste only as much as will fit per Titler page, also keeping in mind to observe the Safe Areas and not put text too near the edges where the TV bezel may cut off parts of it. So each typed page may equal several on-screen pages at a larger size.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2015 at 3:37:19 pm

Okay . I understand . Thank you

I'll post results

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved