ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Choppy Multicam CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan VarnerChoppy Multicam CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 6:18:19 pm

I am trying to use multicam to edit a 3 camera shoot (AVCHD.MTS files, 24000kbps bitrate). It's impossible to edit with how choppy it is. I have tried it on a coworkers workstation from a networked drive and it works fine (same project file). Any ideas as to why mine would be choppy?

My workstation:
-Windows 8
-Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (400-500 MB/s)
-i7 4771 @3.5GHz
-32GB RAM
-GTX 760 4GB VRAM (Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration enabled)

Coworker's workstation:
-Windows 7
-Networked drive (10 MB/s)
-i7 3770 @3.5GHz
-16GB RAM
-Quadro 4000 2GB VRAM (Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration enabled)

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Choppy Multicam CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 7:47:00 pm

You never mention your media drive, only that your coworker is playing back from a networked drive.

Your hard drive subsystem is as important as any other component... Pease elaborate... To help you'll need to state the number of hard drives in the RAID and the connectivity to the computers, for both yours and your coworker"s machines.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bryan VarnerRe: Choppy Multicam CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 7:58:56 pm

I'm not sure how the server is set up but we both have a 100megabit connection to it. I moved the project and source files to the solid state on my computer. I don't have a RAID. I am just going from a solid state drive to my motherboard with a SATA III 6Gb/s connection.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Choppy Multicam CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 9:28:36 pm

Well, even though your internal SSD drive is fast, you really can't playback off the same drive your apps are running on simultaneously, with the expectation seamless playback, especially with three streams of AVCHD playing back simultaneously via multicam editing.

First, your running apps have priority over media playback off the single drive, and on top of that you have three streams of AVCHD playingl, and it is not a hi-performance editing codec, so you have exponential issues with thoughput from your single SSD drive.

I would recommend a 2-bay or preferably a 4-bay Thunderholt array at the very minimum for seamless playback of multicam when using the AVCHD codec.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Choppy Multicam CS6
by on May 28, 2015 at 9:38:24 pm

Is the other machine running at 1/2 quality vs full quality?

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2015 at 10:27:50 pm

Does the playback quality on the program monitor correlate to the playback quality on the Multi-Camera monitor? (I haven't been able to find any way to change playback quality from the Multi-Camera monitor). If so, then I've tried it at 1/4 playback quality.

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2015 at 10:25:43 pm

Thanks, I'll see what I can do there.

Any ideas on why it's so choppy for me from the network drive but there's no issues with my coworker's computer from the same network drive with the same connection?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]