ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Odd Monitor Phenomenon

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil RadelatOdd Monitor Phenomenon
by on May 28, 2015 at 4:48:46 pm

Hi folks, I posted this over at VideoGuys Tech, but I figured I'll put this here as well because I have no idea where else to post this. This issue may or may not be familiar, but here goes.

I recently replace an old HD monitor with an Acer K272HUL bmiidp 27-inch WQHD unit. No other hardware or software was replaced or changed. While this Acer unit is "working to spec", it exhibits a bizarre phenomenon that I've never witnessed before in a monitor.

As I watch a video, whether it be in Premiere, YouTube or other video on a web browser, or a standalone media player, as the the video progresses, regardless of format or codec, everything outside the live video area slowly fades to black & white! The moment the video stops playing color instantly returns back.

This video is being fed data from two separate computers, one via HDMI and the other through DVI. I switch feeds between the two using the monitor's control panel. Both exhibit this phenomenon. One unit is a Win 7 AV workstation, the other is an older XP web browser/audio workstation. Both are being fed through nVidia cards, but completely different hardware. This had never occurred with the previous setup, which fed video through a standard VGA port.

Has anyone ever witnessed this in a monitor? I would generally ignore it as it has no affect on the hardware or otherwise, but it's obviously problematic the moment you try editing or color grading, as everything in your software other than the live video area fades to black & white.

If anyone has any info on this, and how to eliminate it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matthew HoeckerRe: Odd Monitor Phenomenon
by on May 28, 2015 at 6:25:04 pm

It sounds like a weird problem indeed. Maybe it is a weird "feature" of the monitor. Or maybe a setting in your graphics card to "dim the lights," so to speak when an accelerated video source is playing? Was there any software that you installed with the monitor's driver? Some icon added to the control panel that controls monitor colors.

Return to posts index

Phil RadelatRe: Odd Monitor Phenomenon
by on May 31, 2015 at 10:54:54 pm

The only change was the monitor and how it receives it's signal, HDMI & DVI instead of a VGA feed. No other changes were made or software installed.

I had actually bought the monitor a while back but didn't install it because I was in the middle of a large project and didn't want to change anything until it was done. I'm unfortunately out of the time window to return the unit for something else.

Other than this weird phenomenon, the monitor works beautifully however.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]