Computer freezes and reboots when playing Amira ProRes files
by George Tsirogiannis on May 28, 2015 at 1:22:00 pm Last Edited By George Tsirogiannis on May 28, 2015 at 1:23:30 pm
I've been having problems with Premiere Pro CC on Windows 8.1 for the last 24 hours. This whole thing started yesterday, when I tried to play .mov files from Arri Amira on my PC (which, by the way, is brand new and not tested with Amira files before). I believed there is some codec conflict since the computer totally froze after playing 10-15 seconds of a file, either on Premiere Pro or even VLC. Even Caps Lock didn't respond on the keyboard. I have to mention that I have installed the full version of K-Lite Codec Pack and the free version of Quicktime.
The computer froze all six times that I tried to play a file so I had to manually reboot it by long-pressing the power button. I checked Windows' Event Log but no error had been reported apart from "the previous shutdown was unexpected".
Today, I opened an older project with Quicktime files (the source was Amira again but these ones were exported from Resolve as Uncompressed Quicktime). I had successfully exported the project into a file three days ago. Today, Premiere crashed after playing 15 seconds of the project.The crash generated the following error report:
Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 18.104.22.168, time stamp: 0x5486db4a
Faulting module name: ImageRenderer.dll, version: 22.214.171.124, time stamp: 0x5486b5ee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000011c7f5
Faulting process id: 0x1bf4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0992e70451e53
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\ImageRenderer.dll
Report Id: 8a220824-0522-11e5-8267-40e230137d8a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I then uninstalled K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, hoping that this will solve the problem. I also did a registry cleaning with TuneUp Utilities to get rid of remaining codec entries. The older project with Uncompressed Quicktime managed to open and transcode. No luck with the source files from Amira though! The computer completely froze once again with the Amira ProRes files in Premiere and rebooted itself.
I also ran two tests: a GPU stress test (FurMark) on 2.5K to make sure nothing's wrong with my GPU, and Windows Memory Diagnostics to rule out memory problems. Both went fine.