ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela AndersonCreate alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 11:52:41 am

Thanks in advance for any advice because I've been trying to figure this out for hours and it's driving me nuts.

I'm setting up a new project in Premiere CC 2014 to edit a double screen video projection consisting of two 4:3 HD screens, so my project resolution is 2880 x 1080 (yes, weird, but this is not my question).

What I would like to do now is to create two mattes - one 1440 x 1080 for the left side and one for the right side (alpha, luma - whatever as long as it works) and have each on associated with one video track (for example, below the matte) so that whatever clip I put in that track, it will be masked by that particular matte - BUT ONLY that track. That way I can have a mask for the left side and the right side be able to see both "screens".

i've been successful at creating an alpha mask, but it affects all tracks below it. The track matte option seems interesting, but annoying having to add it to every clip.

Anyone able to help me out?

Premiere CC2014
osx 10.8.5
IMac 2.8 GHz i7 12gb

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 12:34:13 pm

Have you tried scaling and positioning each clip to fit the way you want, then save those Motion Effects as presets that you can just drag onto subsequent clips that you place on the respective layers?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Angela AndersonRe: Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 12:42:28 pm

Thanks for your answer but that doesn't help me - i need to be able to freely move each side independently within the 4:3 frame to be able to understand how it works with the other side. i was able to do this in fcp 7 - i'm new to premiere and i'm assuming i just don't understand how the effects work - like the track matte for example. i don't really understand how to use this but maybe it's what i need.

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 1:18:30 pm

Pretty sure you can get there by nesting your clips.

Return to posts index

Angela AndersonRe: Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 1:48:19 pm

The problem with nesting is that it's very hard to make fine adjustments within the timeline between two clips w/o being able to see their relation to on another, like you in if they're in the same timeline.

Return to posts index

jerry wiseRe: Create alpha/luma matte for single track - Premiere CC 2014
by on May 28, 2015 at 2:49:10 pm

if you have access to Final Cut 7 then it will be a breeze. if not then it will be a pain. i hope in the next release of Premiere they will allow you to have the ability to do a track-matte key without the track. just hoping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]