ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Videos posted online look grainy, not sharp

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil OrmanVideos posted online look grainy, not sharp
by on May 26, 2015 at 4:13:25 pm

Can anyone advise me on an issue I believe relates to video export settings, but it may also relate to other issues? I'm not crazy about the look of videos I post online, which have a number of areas where I need improvement, but in this case I'm concerned with how they look grainier and less clear than other videos I see (two example links below, the top one is my reel, and the bottom one another video I saw that I thought has better clarity, better color etc.) Does this difference relate to export settings or other issues like better color correction? Something else? In terms of export settings I tend to use the standard Vimeo or Youtube export settings when I export a PPro-edited video in Media Encoder. If this issue or graininess and lack of clarity relates to export settings, at least in part, what are the preferred settings? I shot most of the footage with a Canon 5D Mk3 so I figured it was more likely related to issues like export settings, color correction etc. Thank you for any feedback!
https://vimeo.com/95896184

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Videos posted online look grainy, not sharp
by on May 26, 2015 at 6:43:47 pm

Hi Neil,

Could you post a screenshot of your export window?

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Neil OrmanRe: Videos posted online look grainy, not sharp
by on May 26, 2015 at 8:04:31 pm

Thanks very much for the reply Vince! I'm attempting to attach a screen shot here.

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2015 at 8:19:12 pm

Hi Neil,

Since you are uprezsing standard def to HD, I would recommend clicking the maximum render quality box. I would change the bit rate to CBR 25 Mbps.

Do keep in mind that not only is your original footage SD, it's also converting from interlaced to progressive, that will cause a pretty large quality/ resolution loss, however your compression artifacts should go away with higher bit rate. Premiere also had a bug with H.264 export a while back, make sure you have the latest version. If that doesn't solve it, you can try a 100% quality Quicktime > H.264 export instead.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Neil OrmanRe: Videos posted online look grainy, not sharp
by on May 26, 2015 at 9:03:43 pm

Thanks a lot Vince, very helpful. I apologize but I actually misinformed you with that screen shot, as I thought the screen settings I showed you would still apply even though they weren't for the same project, which actually is an HD 1280 X 720 project edited in my home FCP7-based system. On PPro CC, as you rightly noticed (I hadn't), I've been using SD sequences even though the underlying footage was HD. That was a mistake. Wow. I'm less familar with PPro than Fnal Cut but either way I should've noticed that error. Anyway, I'm going to upload a new screen shot soon with the actual settings I used for my reel. In the meantime I wondered if you'd still change the bit rate to CBR 25 Mbps if it's a 1280 X 720 sequence, or if you'd use a higher bit rate (it goes up to 62.5)? Sorry again for the bad info.

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2015 at 4:54:53 pm

Hi Neil,

You can go as high as you'd like with bit rate, especially if you have a lot of motion or noise. You most likely won't see much of a difference past 25mbps at 720P.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]