ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Disk usage bottleneck

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter SrinivasanDisk usage bottleneck
by on May 26, 2015 at 12:17:58 am

I'm rendering the 2nd episode of a big project on AME CS6. It's rendering fine, but my CPU and RAM are running at about 75% load, with my system SSD pegged at 100%, which I assume is bottlenecking things. As I've got a bunch more to render, I'd like to remove the bottleneck. FYI, Mercury is on whatever default settings are; I just built the rig and forgot to ensure Mercury was working before hitting render.

My setup is:
Windows 8.1
Adobe CS6
i7 4790k Devil's Canyon
GTX780 Ti
16GB 1600 10-10-10 RAM
C:\ - SSD SATA3 - System Disk
J:\ - 7200RPM USB3 - Project Drive & AME Destination
R:\ - 7200RPM SATA3 - Media Cache and Database set here.

As you can see, my confusion is born from the fact that there should be limited I/O going thru my C:\ SSD. If that's the bottleneck, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it to be a bottleneck since nothing should be streaming to or from the drive anyway. Which leads me to believe that there must be something under the hood I'm not aware of after an hour of googling.

It SHOULDN'T be Virtual RAM / Paging files, I think, since I'm not using all the RAM I've allocated to Adobe yet.

It SHOULDN'T be writing some kind of huge temp file there, since I can actively refresh J:\ the Destination drive, and watch the current render .mov go up in size.

It SHOULDN'T be reading from cache files because I se tthat to R:\ and manually looked for a rogue cache on C:\ and couldn't find one.

As such I'm running out of reasonable causes given my knowledge.

Anyone have insight onto what AME is doing that should peg my C:\ drive and not use full CPU power?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]