ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

General Force Closing throughout editing process

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel BaysGeneral Force Closing throughout editing process
by on May 25, 2015 at 5:48:35 am

Perhaps it is just me, but the larger my project, the greater the chances are for force closing. Especially when I have multiple linked After Effects timelines.

On this current project I have 4 video tracks, 4 audio tracks (I like to keep things separate and organized), and 11 linked After Effects animations. It is just 1080p and a few 2D animations, nothing crazy. I have been working on this project with the agency and client for two weeks, and have had 13 .. THIRTEEN force closes. Fortunately, nothing is lost when it does it, but I hate having a heart attack every day. Does anyone else experience this in Premiere / AE? How are you supposed to trust this editor with a feature length product? (I liked to give one a shot here pretty soon). I barely trust it with my simple web commercials.

Any advice is welcome!

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: General Force Closing throughout editing process
by on May 25, 2015 at 10:30:40 am

Hi Rachel,

If you're using a lot of AE comps inside of a Premiere Pro timeline, it is adding to the memory requirements of the project. While I don't have any system specs from the post above, you do spell out the basic elements of the project. If you have 11 linked comps (from same AE project, if not then RAM is even more important), I would hope that you have 32GB of RAM in your system and are allocating about 60% of available RAM resources to Adobe applications. If you have 16 or less, then this might be some of your problem.

Two things you can also do to help manage a larger project, three if you've never done #3.
1 - Assuming you're using the latest version of Premiere Pro 8.2, then you can 'render and replace' the AE comps in the Premiere Pro timeline once they are to your liking. This will render the comps in a format of your choosing and hopefully lower the RAM usage the system is using.
2 - Trash your preferences in Premiere Pro. Good housekeeping rule #1
3 - Clear your media cache. Good housekeeping rule #2

#'s 2 and 3 solve a surprising number of little issues. Lastly, if your system has less RAM and can accept more, it's worth considering.

HTH,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Rachel BaysRe: General Force Closing throughout editing process
by on May 25, 2015 at 2:16:13 pm

Thank you so much, Dennis!

What do you mean by "Trash your preferences in Premiere Pro. Good housekeeping rule #1"? Does this mean set everything to default?

I did verify that I have 26GB of RAM reserved for Adobe products.

I should have included my system specs:
iMac 27" Retina 5K - Made in December 2014
4GHz Intel Core i7
32GB 1600 MHz DDDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M295X - 4096MB
1TB Flash Storage

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: General Force Closing throughout editing process
by on May 25, 2015 at 8:30:12 pm

[Rachel Bays] "What do you mean by "Trash your preferences in Premiere Pro. Good housekeeping rule #1"?"

Here's an old blog entry of mine that is still applicable: Two great tips

[Rachel Bays] "I have 26GB of RAM reserved for Adobe products."

It may seem counter intuitive, but when you have some crashing issues, I will actually say to make it 50/50. In other words, allocate 16-20GB of RAM to Adobe and the rest to the OS. I've seen people take 64GB Mac Pros and put 55GB to Adobe. I say thank you for the compliment, but we actually need to leave adequate system RAM for the OS and other applications as well. Like I said, general rule is 60-75% when all is good, back it down to 50% if you're having crashing problems.

THe idea is to eliminate what could be causing the issue.

HTH,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]