ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Extracting Selected Layers only

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grayson SedoryExtracting Selected Layers only
by on May 16, 2015 at 12:43:49 am

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to extract and "ripple delete" specific layers via an In + Out + Extract keystroke.

I can get it to work if I lock the layers I do not want to extract, otherwise no matter which layers are selected it extracts all of the layers within that in-out section.

It is not reasonable to need to be required to lock every other layer each time I need to accomplish this edit. Does anyone have a better workflow, I would prefer to use Keyboard Shortcuts and not tools based off my previous edit experience with other programs.

Thanks for any advice with this!

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Extracting Selected Layers only
by on May 16, 2015 at 3:48:26 am
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on May 16, 2015 at 3:56:58 am

Target the layer(s) and try this key sequence: semi-colon, d, shift + forward delete.

Return to posts index

Grayson SedoryRe: Extracting Selected Layers only
by on May 16, 2015 at 3:55:36 am

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me what the action's names are for the suggested shortcuts. I have a completely custom keyboard and those keys are being used.

Thanks again,

Grayson

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2015 at 3:18:45 pm

lift, select clip at playhead, ripple delete

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2015 at 1:30:38 am

So it looks like that would be a great work-around only if there is a clip directly before the in-out section that I was trying to remove.

In many instances this will work, but I usually organize my various cameras and broll all on separate layers and have gaps in between. In these instances it will not preserve the gap and will ripple delete and close the entire gap between the next clip and the previous one when I "select clip at playhead".

I don't think i am fully understanding Adobe's concept of selecting a layer in the timeline. Does anyone know why "lift" takes into account the selected layers but "extract" does not?

Premiere is such a great program in so many ways but this workflow is hard to understand coming from someone that is used to working mostly with keyboard shortcuts. Most videos I watch of premiere use a lot of mouse/tool manipulation by splicing and dragging clips.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2015 at 2:48:26 am

so with your track(s) targeted, rather than setting an in point make a cut (cmnd K) go to the out and rather than setting an out point ripple to playhead (option Q). That ripples your layer and sets the new in where the old out would have been and leaves any preceding gaps intact. Is that what you want to do?

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2015 at 3:14:43 am

That didn't seem to do the trick. When I used the Ripple to playhead command with V1,A1,A2 targeted, it still ripple deleted the same section of V3 which was not targeted/selected.

The only way I can achieve what Im looking to do is to go to my my in and out position and "Make Edit" then "select clip at Playhead" then "ripple Delete".

3 full steps that should require just 1. just seems so strange to me.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2015 at 11:58:32 am

I guess I just don't get what you're trying to do. PPro obviously does this differently than you're used to. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]