ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten HilmerChoppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 9, 2015 at 6:45:27 pm

Hi guys I really need your help.

When using the GPU Accelration I get very choppy playback (lots of dropped frames) and the render times is exactly the same as when using CPU (both Premiere and Media Encoder)
When I disable the GPU and use the Software Only, everything play back very fine. The Premiere project is a very simple 1-layer video with no effects. 4K Footage from the Canon 1DC and the GH4.
I have tried different configurations with media, cache, project and previews on the different disks but with no effect.

I have a brand new clean install of OS X Yosemite with an updated Premiere Pro through Adobe Creative Cloud.

I have no other programs and I have no CUDA driver installed.

When reading the Adobe tutorials and other editors reviews everyone confirm the fact that playback is improved and rendering time is dramatically improved then using the GPU. I would love to be on that train to, so all help would be so much appreciated.

Configuration:

I am editiong in Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 - Build 8.2.0
On a Mac Pro late 2013 with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Processor: 6 Core 3.5 GHz
Graphics: AMD FirePro D500
Memory: 32 BG 1866

Operating System and Premiere: Internal SSD
Media: LaCie Raid 0 system with Thunderbolt - Write 125 MB/s Read: 141 MB/s
Project, Cache and Previews: LaCie SSD with Thunderbolt - Write 188 MB/s Read: 331 MB/s'>Configuration:

I am editiong in Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 - Build 8.2.0
On a Mac Pro late 2013 with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Processor: 6 Core 3.5 GHz
Graphics: AMD FirePro D500
Memory: 32 BG 1866

Disk Setup:

Operating System and Premiere: Internal SSD
Media: LaCie Raid 0 system with Thunderbolt - Write 125 MB/s Read: 141 MB/s
Project, Cache and Previews: LaCie SSD with Thunderbolt - Write 188 MB/s Read: 331 MB/s

All the best
Morten Hilmer

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 10, 2015 at 5:09:49 am

[Morten Hilmer] "When I disable the GPU and use the Software Only, everything play back very fine. "

Starting with later builds of Mavericks (and continuing into Yosemite) some owners of the new Mac Pro have reported problems when running Resolve and/or Premiere Pro (two GPU-centric apps). Turning off GPU acceleration or booting the machine into Windows are two workarounds so the would seem to be with Apple's drivers for the twin GPUs in the new Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Morten HilmerRe: Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 10, 2015 at 6:25:45 am

Thanks a lot for your answer. That means it is an Apple software / driver issue and not a problem with my Fire Pro D500 graphic card itself or the Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 10, 2015 at 10:49:46 am

Do you have the source and program monitors set to 'full' on the bottom of each panel/window? If so, I would pull them back to 1/2 or 1/4. Likely your monitor isn't a 4k display, so turning that down to 1/4 is the most logical answer.

Also note, that 4k H.264 is quite difficult to playback even on current machines.

HTH
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Morten HilmerRe: Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 10, 2015 at 2:48:27 pm

Hi Dennis and thanks a lot for your explanation and advice. The "dropping frames" is the same no matter if I choose 1/1 - 1/2 - or 1/4. That is the weird part I think. The second strange thing - and the one thing that really make me curious is that the "software only" plays the 4K footage without dropping frames.

It is the same behaviour when I look the media files in the media browser as in the timeline.

The only reason why I use the GPU mode is that the render time for the timeline is much shorter.
Though the time for exporting this 2 minutes and 39 seconds video with only one video track and one audio track into a 4k mp4 takes 15 minutes and 31 seconds no matter if I use GPU or Software in the media encoder.

Shouldn't it be faster when enabling the GPU?

I really appreciate that you guys are taking your time to help me.

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Choppy playback and no render benefits when using GPU Acceleration on Mac Pro 2013
by on May 11, 2015 at 12:32:43 pm

[Morten Hilmer] "
The only reason why I use the GPU mode is that the render time for the timeline is much shorter.
Though the time for exporting this 2 minutes and 39 seconds video with only one video track and one audio track into a 4k mp4 takes 15 minutes and 31 seconds no matter if I use GPU or Software in the media encoder.

Shouldn't it be faster when enabling the GPU?"

Not necessarily. As you will hear me say, it is all about balance. If we put a full load on the GPU, and not on the CPU, we're just moving the problem. Ideally, we are trying to balance and get full use out of both CPU and GPU wherever possible.

Rendering or creating output is more the purview of the CPU. The GPU is used in part but really the bulk of AME usage is going to be the CPU.

How is the GPU used then? If there are GPU accelerated effects in the timeline before you render, the GPU can be used to accelerate aspects of that process.

More recently, we have added the feature of allowing the GPU to assist in the decode of the video for large frame camera formats like RED, ARRI & C-DNG.

HTH,
Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]