ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Canon AVCHD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenCanon AVCHD
by on May 5, 2015 at 9:49:36 pm

Everything you shoot comes off the card as numbered MTS files. If you just transfer each card to a named folder on a hard drive, and import with media browser, all is peachy, except for the fact that you have potentially a lot of files with the same name in your hard drive and project.

If you rename the files themselves the AVCHD metadata is disconnected, and multi-file clips become disconnected.

What is the answer to this problem, assuming I want some sort of file management to avoid having dozens of 0001.mts files on my computer

With P2 and XDCAM you can have the camera name files as they are recorded, but with AVCHD Canon it seems you are stuck with numerical files.

Using CS6 and CC in Windows

Thanks

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 12:06:55 am

We've been asking this very question ever since the advent of tapeless media. The only thing that we'd been able to come up with is to separate media into a logical folder structure, keeping camera media intact but in folders named for however we need to identify the files. That was until we decided that we needed to once again start transcoding to an intermediate on ingest with Prelude, which gives us the option to rename the files in a more logical way automatically.

Of course the first method, as you point out, leaves you with many identically named files in a project. this doesn't seem to be avoidable, but at least the later versions of CC make determining which 0001.mts file a clip is supposed to point to.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 1:51:54 pm

I've found the best way to organize AVCHD cards is with Prelude. From inside the Prelude ingest I pick selects (say, Interiors and Exteriors) and Transfer those shots, without transcoding to a Subfolder named what they are (in this case, Interiors or Exteriors). Prelude rebuilds an AVCHD file structure in this folder with just those selected shots. Now if import just a few shots into Premiere from that folder I can easily create a Smart Bin with the criteria "Interiors" and it will populate with only those shots. Yes, it's still 00001.mts and on and on, but it's very easy to see which 00001.mts I'm dealing with. And that metadata will keep that clip from being confused with any other 00001.mts clip I might be using.

Return to posts index

Bob SchweizerRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 2:15:33 pm

This is a great question. We have multiple editors sneaker netting projects on drives between computers. More than once, I have seen issues with audio from a clip link to the audio of another clip on a different card. The cards have a unique name but the clips do not. I do not have any idea as to what triggers the mis-link. One editor has reported to me that on one project, the problem comes and goes while the project is being worked on. I honestly do not know how that can happen but I have no reason to doubt it either. The Idea of being able to bypass the transcode step and go straight to edit is a great idea but it is not without its problems. This does need to be fixed if not having to ingest is being touted as a benefit to users of Premiere. Or, Adobe Please tell me where I am in error.

Bob

Settings: Multiple computers of varying ages, Laptops to Trashcans, all OSX, All Premiere CC 2014.

Bob Schweizer
Media Coordinator
AboutFace Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 5:37:09 pm

Thus far I have been bulk renaming files, by adding a prefix (ie, XYZ-project_saturday_cam1_001.mts) and then importing the files as files, not using media browser. I'm sure somewhere an AVCHD engineer is dying a little on the inside, but this way there is no chance of files getting mis-linked. Premiere edits these files just fine and seems to know what type of video it is.

I have not used Prelude yet. Isn't the beauty of Premiere that you don't need to transcode anything?
I'll have to try out this Prelude workflow.

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 6:03:53 pm

[Mike Cohen] "I have not used Prelude yet. Isn't the beauty of Premiere that you don't need to transcode anything?"

Technically...you don't. But in reality...you do. Given really complex video formats like AVCHD.

P2 had the naming convention on clips where no two clips would have the same name...so they said. I'd run into a duplicate, but only rarely. Never on the same shoot. But AVCHD is a beast on all fronts. Horrbile to work with natively, clip names restart when you put in a new card...often timecode restarts when you have a new clip (at 00:00:00:00). Just not the best format to work with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 7:49:35 pm

What I do doesn't involve any transcoding at all. It just transfers it. Makes a copy of it. And because it's created in its own new folder the metadata is unique to the new copies and thus doesn't get confused with another clip of the same name/number. The metadata from the folder name differentiates it.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Canon AVCHD
by on May 6, 2015 at 10:30:39 pm

Have to agree with Shane. I discovered it recently, when I was rapid scrubbing a timeline with AVCHD clips. The scrub was very spotty, as if Premiere was only able to decode evry few frames or so. Did a test with the same clips transcoded to Avid DNxHD, and the scrubbing was smooth as silk.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

by on May 10, 2015 at 4:08:34 am

Transfer (without transcoding) and rename at the same time with Prelude. The renamed clips will appear in your Prelude project and you Send To Premiere Pro from there. Then you'll have renamed clips in the PPro project and a regular looking AVCHD structure on your drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]