ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sem OffatLaptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 3:32:39 pm

Hello,

My little x230 thinkpad does ok for video editing, but I recently was hired at a company and now I can ask for something a little better (but they are still penny pinchers :) )

I'm getting confused about CPU vs. graphic cards... and now RAID has been thrown into the mix.

I'm editing HD in Premiere Pro CC, using Adobe Audacity, Photoshop, Illustrator, and possibly InDesign as well... I would really like a batter that lasts about 6 hours...

I'm think about either of these. (I wish I could mesh some of the specs together, but it's not going to happen.)

Option 1: Thinkpad W541 ($2,204.10 on sale until tomorrow!)

Intel i7-4910MQ (up to 3.90 GHz)
Graphics: W540 NVIDIA Quadro K2100m 2G
Memory: 16 GB
Storage Subsystem: RAID 0
HD: RAID HDD, 500GB, 7200rpm
Thunderbolt connection
Battery: 6 cell

Option 2: Sager Custom
Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M GPU with 4GB GDDR5
24GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 3 X 8GB
1TB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
Smart Polymer Battery Pack (4 Cell, 60WH)

What do you think?

Return to posts index

Sem OffatRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 3:34:31 pm

Oops: Which one SHOULD I purchase :P
and Sager is $1,834.00...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 4:01:15 pm

IMO, the single biggest factor worthy of you attention for video editing is the GPU.

The Quadro K2100M is on the supported list of cards for PrPro, but it is only 2GB.
The GeForce GTX 980M is not on the supported list of cards for PrPro, but it is only 4GB.

If they were both fully supported, then I'd say the 4GB card is a no brainer. But without official support you are taking your chances as to how well it can play with PrPro. It might be worth that time to find some other forum thread specifically geared to GPU's and see if other users have had good results with that GTX 980m + PrPro.

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 4:52:54 pm

On the other hand, I've played the "edit the support cards list" game on a couple of Nvidia based systems and made sure that my drivers were all the tastes from Nvidia and Premiere Pro and After Effects have actually played well on those supposedly unsupported GPUs.

On the -OTHER- other hand (couldn't resist), that Thinkpad is a proven beast AND I suspect that you can upgrade the memory.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 6, 2015 at 9:22:23 pm

The supported list no longer effects the GPU acceleration in Premiere CC. As long as the card is Nvidia and 1GB of vram then the GPU acceleration works. The supported list is simply what Adobe tested. CC 2014 removed the cuda file completely from the directory of Premiere. So it no longer has any impact. The 900 series mobile work great and don't have issues with Premiere CC 2014. They also far outperform the lower end Quadro mobile cards.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Jesse ChandlerRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 5:25:16 pm

I'd get something with a SSD and a good warranty, also something that says Apple on the box;)

Return to posts index

Sem OffatRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 5:55:55 pm

That's were I won't go - Apple! ;D

Return to posts index

Jesse ChandlerRe: Laptop Editing- which one which I purchase?
by on May 5, 2015 at 5:57:54 pm

I figured, just couldn't resist the urge to be a smart ass. Now that the best NLE runs on Windows just as well, I may switch in the future as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]