ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Beach ball and question marks on media

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe SeliskiBeach ball and question marks on media
by on May 4, 2015 at 6:54:57 pm

trying to open previously successfully saved project. Just get beach ball and question marks on clips. Cleaned cache, trashed prefs. I can open new session and import old one and works. However cannot successfully reserve (i.e. trying to open new project - same problem) Running with a Pegasus RAIS over TB. Can open other projects - no problems - just this one
thanks! ! ! ! ! !

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Beach ball and question marks on media
by on May 4, 2015 at 11:22:45 pm

Where are you storing Media cache?
Where are previews stored?
How is the RAID formatted (filesystem used, RAID--How many drives and how is it configured)?

If you cannot open the project there are 2 things I can see as possible root causes. First, your drives may have errors on them or damaged blocks where the file resides. Repair the drive using a disk check or a repair in mac os. Second, if the settings of the file show that the media cache and caching are on a volume that isn't your main drive or isn't formatted HFS+ with a GUID partition table, you may be running into memory caching errors, as the files need to have the same permissions structures and values as your user account in order to be able to move to memory.

Try the drive repair first, and if that doesn't work, try creating a new file and set your caching to your documents folder, then import one sequence at a time and save the new file as you go. Then relink the media. When you are finished, you should be able to work.

If you are on mac os as I suspect, repair permissions on your main drive and on the thunderbolt drive.

Return to posts index

Joe SeliskiRe: Beach ball and question marks on media
by on May 5, 2015 at 4:28:40 pm

Where are you storing Media cache? ON MEDIA DRIVE IN A FOLDER
Where are previews stored? SAME AS PROJECT
How is the RAID formatted (filesystem used, RAID--How many drives and how is it configured)? MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNALED 6 DRIVES RAID5

If you cannot open the project there are 2 things I can see as possible root causes. First, your drives may have errors on them or damaged blocks where the file resides. Repair the drive using a disk check or a repair in mac os.DONE
Second, if the settings of the file show that the media cache and caching are on a volume that isn't your main drive or isn't formatted HFS+ with a GUID partition table, you may be running into memory caching errors, as the files need to have the same permissions structures and values as your user account in order to be able to move to memory. ON A HFS+ DRIVE

Try the drive repair first, and if that doesn't work, try creating a new file and set your caching to your documents folder, then import one sequence at a time and save the new file as you go. IMPORTED SEQUENCE INTO A NEW FILE - ALL IS GOOD - SAVE FILE - TRY TO REOPEN FILE - BEACH BALL, QUESTION MARKS FOR MEDIA (also type in media files is italic if that makes any difference)Then relink the media. When you are finished, you should be able to work.

If you are on mac os as I suspect, repair permissions on your main drive and on the thunderbolt drive. REPAIRED

NOTE ALL OTHER EDIT SESSIONS OPEN AND OPERATE FINE

THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]