ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Tape Compatibility for Betacam recorders/players (analog)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McQueenTape Compatibility for Betacam recorders/players (analog)
by on May 2, 2015 at 8:44:10 pm

I produced about 125 hours of SONY Betacam SP on BCT-60GL and BCT-30G analog tapes, now some years ago. These are back coated oxide tapes. Want to digitize these programmes. I was not the editor, just the producer.

Have been looking for a Betacam player - found a little used UVW 1800 Recorder/Player BUT, in looking through a copy of the manual for the machine, it is stated "This unit only accepts metal tapes." In another place the manual says "Use only metal cassette tapes with this unit. Do not use oxide tapes."

Seems pretty clear (I guess). Can't find my editor of that day to see what he might be able to tell me. Calling SONY was a disaster.

Any collective wisdom out there? I have no interest in recording with this machine, just need something reliable to transfer these BCT G tapes digitally.

Appreciate any leads or help.

Thanks,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Tape Compatibility for Betacam recorders/players (analog)
by on May 3, 2015 at 4:17:57 am

[William McQueen] "I have no interest in recording with this machine, just need something reliable to transfer these BCT G tapes digitally."

As far as I know, the metal-only issue is for recording - your tapes should play back just fine.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Tape Compatibility for Betacam recorders/players (analog)
by on May 4, 2015 at 2:44:21 pm
Last Edited By Jon Doughtie on May 4, 2015 at 2:45:35 pm

Agree with Gary. Your standard Betacam tapes should play back. You would not be able to record with them.

We still have an 1800 in the rack. Although we don't use it anymore, we would occasionally get standard Betacam tapes, and played them without difficulty.

Return to posts index

William McQueenRe: Tape Compatibility for Betacam recorders/players (analog)
by on May 9, 2015 at 4:48:26 pm

I finally got hold of someone at SONY, but I'm not sure if they got he drift of my question. They said that the PVW series played both metal and oxide tape. He really didn't answer the question as to whether the UVW1800 could safely play BCT oxide tapes. (sigh)

Thanks for your insight.

Cheers,
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]