ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Messab RakadleFCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 2, 2015 at 7:24:20 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into buying film grain to add to my 5d Mark ii footage for that filmicishly effect, however, they sell three kinds, h.264 1080p, FCPX Prores 1080p and 2k.

They are all the same cost. I'm considering denoising my footage in After Effects and then adding Film Grain on top then exporting as Prores 444. Heard that was a good thing.

I know Prores better than h.264 but I've only seen it as Apple Prores not FCPX Prores...is there a difference?

I use Premiere on a Mac if that helps.

Thank you for your time.

B

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 2, 2015 at 8:22:50 pm

FCP X ProRes is Apple ProRes. If you're shooting 1080P and sending to ProRes, get the ProRes version.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 4, 2015 at 11:49:33 am

To speak to the codec, certainly ProRes will give you more quality (bits), technically than H.264.

If you're looking to do film effects, have you ever considered building a grade in Speedgrade and then applying as a batch in Adobe Media Encoder? Doing the rendering in AE wouldn't be your most efficient method of rendering.

Also, have you checked out the new Lumetri Color Effect in the forthcoming Premiere Pro release?

food for thought,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Messab RakadleRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 4, 2015 at 9:51:54 pm

I'm still relatively new to the possibilities of premiere and ae. My filmic look is simply based on placing a film grain overlay over footage. However, I have experimented with denoising in ae then adding the film overlay then exporting as prores 444. Looked the same and I lost all my sound haha, but when I went to color correct I had a bit more place to move.

I'm hoping that the prores will work with premiere and ae in the two above mentioned techniques.

I use magic bullet to color correct and grade. The Lumetri would have saved me money haha.

I haven't tried speedgrad. Is that in the premiere or is that a plug in?

I know it's funny to debate prores vs h.264 when I don't fully understand everything, however, I hate rebuying the same thing when I learn more. Best to spend a little extra now then redo it all later.

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 4, 2015 at 10:45:46 pm

Here's what I was told back when I first learned about h.264 - "h.264 is like FM radio while ProRes is like your CD player. Neither is a pristine vinyl album, but ProRs has much more fidelity than h.264."

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Messab RakadleRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 4, 2015 at 11:02:17 pm

That was awesome. Haha. I'm also debating the 2k but I think that's overkill.

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: FCPX Prores 1080p vs H.264 1080p for DSLR Film Grain, which one to buy
by on May 5, 2015 at 11:41:14 am

[Messab Rakadle] "I haven't tried speedgrad. Is that in the premiere or is that a plug in?"

It is a part of Creative Cloud and included with your membership. It is a full on color grading tool with all the trimmings like masking, adjustment layers, primary, secondary grading, etc.

However, if you just want grain or noise, than the tools you've already mentioned will also get the job done and probably more easily if you don't know about Speedgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]