ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Video Export Settings for Large Screen Projection

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Video Export Settings for Large Screen Projection
on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:57:30 pm

Within Adobe Media Encoder (or in general), what are the best export settings for a video edited in a 720p sequence that will be projected on to a large screen in a hotel ballroom? I'd be grateful for any guidance there. I know it would have been better to have a 1080p sequence, but I had no control over that in this instance. So I'm just trying to find out the best export settings given that the sequence is 720, as well as what format works best. The hotel said it prefers .mov files. Most of my videos have been compressed for upload to the Web. Do you want an uncompressed Quicktime for example? Something else? Thanks for any feedback here, and if you can respond soon that would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Video Export Settings for Large Screen Projection
on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:52:10 pm

You will want to give them something that will be light on the their system for playback. I recommend H.264 using the Vimeo 720p HD preset. That should look good and be easy enough for their computer to handle. This is an .mp4 file which is a QuickTime format and should play in their player fine. If it absolutely has to be .mov then use the QuickTime format with the HD 720p 24 H.264, ACC 48 kHz preset and change the frame rate to what you need, most likely 29.97.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:01:06 pm

First question is the resolution of the ballroom projector. You'd be amazed at how many projectors out there are limited to 1024 or even 900 pixel width so creating 720p or 1080p videos will look terrible on them as they scale them down. So your first call is to the hotel to find out what the resolution of the projector will be.

Then create a file that easily fits into that width without needing to be scaled down.

H264 will be just fine and probably no more than 10mbps will be needed.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:21:00 pm

[walter biscardi] "your first call is to the hotel to find out what the resolution of the projector will be.
"

Listen to Walter here... The venue supplying the projector should always be where you start your investigation.

[walter biscardi] "H264 will be just fine and probably no more than 10mbps will be needed."

That part I disagree with... Pro Res 422 is a better codec, it's high performance (i.e. easily played back), and it's very high quality. H.264 is a more processor intensive codec. H.264 is great for streaming via the Net because it's a smaller file size, for for playback off hard drives Pro Res, though larger file size, is still better for seamless playback.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:35:39 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "That part I disagree with... Pro Res 422 is a better codec, it's high performance (i.e. easily played back), and it's very high quality. H.264 is a more processor intensive codec. H.264 is great for streaming via the Net because it's a smaller file size, for for playback off hard drives Pro Res, though larger file size, is still better for seamless playback."

ProRes is never a good choice for a venue playback unless you are 100% certain there will be a machine capable of playback.

We use our 1920x1200 resolution projector on a monthly basis at events playing off H264 files from my MacBook Air and it looks amazing all the way up to 40 foot projection screens. Have even played back UHD files scaled down to 1920 on play out and they look great.

Honestly no reason for ProRes with the quality of the H264 image. If you want higher quality bump up to 15mbps.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:58:34 pm

[walter biscardi] "ProRes is never a good choice for a venue playback unless you are 100% certain there will be a machine capable of playback."

When did I ever suggest using a machine incapable of playback? Disagreeing with me is one thing, but to make a silly assumption, simply because it appears to support your contention, is just a bad argument.

As I said before, h.264 is a processor intensive codec, it can be more taxing to playback seamlessly than Pro Res 422, not less taxing. FYI, this is precisely why h.264 files from camera acquisition are often transcoded to Pro Res for editing, and not just with FCP Legacy.

Of course, if you have old or inferior hardware, including a hard drive subsystem with minimal throughput, such as a single spinning hard drive, that could be an issue for seamless playback of any file type.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2015 at 9:35:32 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "When did I ever suggest using a machine incapable of playback? Disagreeing with me is one thing, but to make a silly assumption, simply because it appears to support your contention, is just a bad argument. "

When was the system making playback ever posted? It wasn't. Hence my note that you have to have a system capable of playback. If you want to be a smart-ass and beat your chest on that, be my guest.

On H264 for editing, we haven't transcoded H264 or any codec in almost three years now since switching over to Premiere Pro. No reason to, even with our older machines and iMacs. But again, now we're off topic.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 9:51:51 pm

[walter biscardi] "When was the system making playback ever posted?"

Exactly, so why did you make it the centerpiece of the discussion?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:04:12 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Exactly, so why did you make it the centerpiece of the discussion?"

I don't know, maybe because if the system at the hotel can't play back ProRes or can't handle the data rate then it's a bad idea. Honestly I've never used ProRes for any hotel playback. Only for a major event such as a Dome or Stadium show when I have complete control of the playback.

We put on events for the Atlanta Cutters, going on three years now. Have never used ProRes for playback via our projector or any other projector in all those years.

Now I'm done with this discussion. You have a fantastic day.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:08:35 pm

It really does depend on the machine / playback software. Prores is almost always better with PlaybackPro, smoother playback on pans and rushes.

That's on an iMac / MacPro with dedicated card.

But if they are playing back on a Macbook Air / Mac mini, it can get sketchy. If anything, keep the encoding in H.264 as CBR.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Hen Virgin
Re: Video sequence Settings for Large Screen Projection
on May 27, 2015 at 11:37:53 am

Hello, In premier pro (could be after effects) I am making projection artwork (30 mins) for irregular wall - the projector is 1920 x 1200 resolution. Our artwork will fit the wall at a resolution of 1320x1200 : My question is > how do I block off the 600 pixels ? as I have to put alot of stills and movie clips in the 1320 x 1200 ?? How can I best block off the 600 on the left ? Please advise !! Thank you !!

ps If I block off the 600 - how do we make it so no light is projected from it ? is it black video / transparent video or something else ? Please advise

Return to posts index

ivan Alzuro
on Jan 17, 2017 at 5:22:27 pm

I have to say ... I used the Pro Res 422 codec as recommended for a large screen showing at a construction industry trade show - Whoa!!! The resolution was impeccable! I really struggled reading this thread and my gut told me to follow the Pro Res reasoning... man, we got a lotta of compliments on the video and requests for job quotes from an otherwise frugal bunch.

Love Creative Cow! Thanks guys for posting!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 17, 2017 at 6:20:30 pm

Of course Ivan... And, I'd suspect that even Mr. Bus card I might agree with us at this point in time - when this thread was created many were misinformed about h.264 playback.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]