ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Switching from Premiere to Avid.?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerry wise
Switching from Premiere to Avid.?
on Apr 29, 2015 at 2:44:51 pm

After using CMX then Smoke then Final Cut 7 then Premiere...there is talk here at the station about switching to Avid Media Composer. Would we be gaining or losing in this switch. I'd rather fight than switch.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Switching from Premiere to Avid.?
on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:26:51 pm

[jerry wise] "Would we be gaining or losing in this switch. "

Depends on the workflows and the type of work the station does. For example, if you are in a shared storage, multi-user environment with lots of project sharing then going with Avid will definitely be a step up. If you are used to doing a lot of GFX/VFX type work right in the timeline then Avid will be a step down because those sorts of things are much easier to do PPro or X.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:42:17 pm

Thanks Andrew. Our news operation would benefit for sure. Since I only edit commercials I might lose. Time will tell.

Return to posts index

Joey Gibson
on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:27:54 pm

When you edit your commercials, do you do a lot of effects and graphics within Premiere, or do you use After Effects more? I only ask this because if you do switch to Avid you'll pretty much have to outsource your graphics to another program (such as After Effects) if you want them to look even decent. I had to make the same change about eight years ago and had a really difficult go of it initially.

That said, things may have changed with Avid since I got away from it about four years ago though, so obviously don't take my word as gospel.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Apr 29, 2015 at 9:16:58 pm

I do all my effects in Premiere...as I did in FCP7. I'll have to go thru some Avid tutorials it seems.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:44:05 pm

[jerry wise] "After using CMX then Smoke then Final Cut 7 then Premiere...there is talk here at the station about switching to Avid Media Composer. Would we be gaining or losing in this switch. I'd rather fight than switch."

So many factors go into something like this. Both Premiere Pro and Avid are absolutely great video editing tools. Each has strengths and each has weaknesses depending on the situation they are used in.

Which to go with is wholly up to you and your team based on your unique situation. In our case, we go all Adobe Premiere Pro because of the flexibility and efficiency of the editing tool and the collaboration between the entire Adobe Suite. We run a fully shared media environment and PPro has no issues working in a shared workflow environment. Depending on the size of your facility, Adobe Anywhere is an option to really enhance the shared workflow.

But you don't "gain" or "lose" anything switching from one to the other. They're both good. They're both going to work in your environment. Which you go with is wholly up to you and your team. As you already have Premiere I guess the question is, "Is there anything compelling in Avid that warrants the switch?" for your specific situation.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:44:42 am

Avid workgroup tech is good. it's timeline editorial is also very good. Avid's not my choice for any layers oriented work.

with the cloud...where you'd get photoshop and ae...which you'd need...Premiere will just be there...to use or not...so avid is actually an "extra" cost. even if the rest of the facility goes avid...you'd technically still be able to use PPro for commercial work anyway. I can't imagine that much of your commercial work (save work for sweeps and promos, if that's your responsibility) would need collateral elements from news)...

Now that Adobe has a facility based Anywhere configuration, I'd look at that carefully before considering the Avid pitch. It may be much more cost competitive now.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]