ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Tutorial Editing: General Thoughts

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy BrownTutorial Editing: General Thoughts
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:57:56 pm

WHen you go about editing a tutorial video that someone else has shot, how do you approach it? What do you listen for and take out?

I work for a database-consulting company and we put together tutorials. I edit those and produce them into something pretty nice.

But as I was working through them it occurred to me to wonder about this. When you edit tutorial videos, your own or another's, what do you do with it:

1. Do you take out 'um's?
2. Do you take out unnatural pauses?
3. What if the user holds on a word for longer than normal: "ANNNNNNDDDD"

I'm guessing the overriding principles are keep the audio natural and fluid and knowledgable-sounding AND make sure the video doesn't jump crazy.

Any other thoughts? What do you keep in mind?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Tutorial Editing: General Thoughts
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 9:40:30 pm

You are the editor. It's your job to make something that is easy to follow and understand. Edit audio as needed so it is clear and concise. Leaving pauses where needed to comprehend what is being demonstrated on the screen or for someone who might be watching and taking notes. Don't make the pauses too long or you will loose some people, it's a tricky balance. Also, taking out the ums, clicks, and pops makes it a more professional product.

With instructional videos you will obtain better retention value if you give the viewer the key points in all three ways; show them the action you are talking about for their eyes to see, label it with text on screen for their brain to read, and have it described in the voice over for their ears to hear.

Have fun!

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved