ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

two question concerning multicam in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alessandro sambinitwo question concerning multicam in Premiere
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 8:44:15 am

hi everyone, I am new to multicam.

I have 6 cameras, 6 movies h264.It is a sort of TV show that I have recorded two days ago and I am wondering: should I convert the footage into prores of some sort? Should I buy a thunderbolt external drive?

My computer seems to struggle with the material when I hit play and start multicam editing it. It rapidly drops frame till when it is just a still. My computer is the last mac mini with its fastest processor and I have 16 GB of RAM.

Still, my footage is in the internal drive, where Premiere also is. I was a FCP user and I know that editing should be done on an external HD but my question is: is it a problem of storage or of CPU? I do not want to buy an external HD just to find out that the problem was not the HD but the CPU itself that can not (and will not) handle 6 h264 cameras.

THANKS!

ps. its footage recorded with Canon 5Ds, so HD 1920 1080.

Have a nice day
Alex

Return to posts index

alessandro sambiniRe: two question concerning multicam in Premiere
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 9:08:51 am

I have just talked with a friend of mine. she edit with FCP and she says that (in her opinion) there is noot a huge difference between internal HD and external HD.

Moreover, she says that h264 is better as it is lighter than PRORES.

What do you think? I always imagined prores not being lighter but somehow "more understandable" by FCP. Wrong idea?

Thanks

Alex

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: two question concerning multicam in Premiere
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 1:24:07 pm

Alex,

Just to add a bit of science to what Dennis said and to what your friend didn't tell you... You need a hard drive RAID with at least two drives striped together, and preferably more.

Why? The rule of thumb is, every time you double the number of spinning drives in a RAID set you virtually double its throughput. So, in addition to keeping the drive activity of your boot drive from interfering with playback of your six streams of video, you'd get much higher throughput as well.

Call OWC or the Videoguys, both companies know Thunderbokt storage on the Mac very well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2015 at 3:35:02 pm

Thanks.

update

I have a new lacie 3 TB HD, thunderbolt 2. And my Mac Mini has a thunderbolt 2, so: I could not be better in terms of one HD.

I have tried to multicam with h264 and I could not see substantial increase in performance. Nevertheless, it was better. Still not enough to work smoothly.

I am now transcoding everything to pro res. And let's see...

A.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2015 at 3:50:44 pm

If you have just a single Thunderbolt 2 drive you're still VERY far from the best solution. Transcoding six cameras worth of video to Pro Res might help, but you're not using Premiere for its best quality, the ability to play anything without transcoding, which is the Holy Grail of editing.

Hard drives are very inexpensive, your time is worth considerably more than a proper RAID.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2015 at 4:31:15 pm

I see... So: it would be just right to buy an other Lacie of the same kind, right? Does it HAS to be a thunderbolt 2? Same size? And then I would be ready to go?

Would it be the same to buy a different hard drive? Furthermore: should I buy more than one extra hard drive?

Eventually, shall I create a striped or mirrored RAID array? (a thing that I can do via OSX, I infer)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2015 at 9:11:00 pm

I will wait more for the answer to the previous question as it really intrigues me.

UPDATE

I have transcoded everything into prores and the result is: great!

On a scale from 1 to 10 I would say the with h264 it was 1, or 2. Now it is 6, 6 and a half. Which means that I can work smoothly.

Thanks.
Alex

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:30:38 pm

[alessandro sambini] "So: it would be just right to buy an other Lacie of the same kind, right? Does it HAS to be a thunderbolt 2? Same size? And then I would be ready to go? "

You could, but that is not ideal, because you would be striping across two separate enclosures. Your best bet would be to buy a 2-drive or 4-drive RAID so the drives in the RAID set are self-contained.

[alessandro sambini] "Would it be the same to buy a different hard drive?"

You have to have identical physical hard drives when creating a RAID.

[alessandro sambini] "Eventually, shall I create a striped or mirrored RAID array? (a thing that I can do via OSX, I infer)"

Increasing performance was always your requirement, so RAID 0 is what you need, unless you create a 4-drive RAID, which could handle a RAID 5 config (i.e. any single drive can fail without data loss). RAID 1 is a mirrored backup that is NOT ideal for video as it cuts your storage size in half and diminishes read speed as well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: two question concerning multicam in Premiere
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 11:17:52 am

First, absolutely get an external drive or raid array that will provide better disk throughput. You're putting the OS, Premiere Pro and media all through the single hard drive - that's a recipe for problems.

Remember with a 64-bit application that you're only as fast as the slowest component. In your case, this is definitely going to be the hard drive system.

H.264 vs. ProRes: More complicated question and the simplest answer is after you have purchased a quality storage subsystem, to experiment between H.264 and ProRes for performance.

H.264 is temporally complex and requires significantly more CPU to decode. Multiply that times 6 and you have your potential performance problem.

ProRes is large data wise. It will gobble up significantly more hard drive space but will likely be better in a 6-camera multicam edit.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]