Bit Depth in Premiere Pro
by Oscar Gotti on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:02:29 pm Last Edited By Oscar Gotti on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:18:31 pm
I have a few questions about bit depth in Premiere which have been bugging me for a while, I keep on finding conflicting or out of date answers on the web so please only get back to me if you are sure about your answer
- Am I correct in thinking that whenever I have a red render bar on my timeline, I need to check the ‘Maximum Bit Depth’ in the sequence settings in order to playback the red render bar in 32-bit? Same when exporting?
- If answer to the above is yes, do I need to render the red bar before I can view it in 32-bit?
- If I don’t check ‘Maximum Bit Depth’ in the sequence settings, and I render the red render bar, will the preview files playback at 8-bit?
- If I have an 8-bit clip in my timeline, what advantages does a 32-bit effect like the 3-way colour wheel give me in grading my 8-bit clip? What if my export is also 8-bit?
- Is it safer to leave ‘Maximum Bit Depth’ checked ‘on’ at all times?