ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates BradleyStrange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:37:30 pm
Last Edited By Gates Bradley on Apr 27, 2015 at 9:42:30 pm

Not sure what triggered this. It seemed to start happening at random, but when I move my cursor to the menu bar, or about the left sixth of the source window, my timeline starts scrolling to the left. This is extremely annoying, especially as I prefer to work with two monitors with my Project window on the left monitor.

Can't say I did anything I can think of that might have triggered this behavior. I tried restarting the program to no help, and saw nothing in the preferences menu or on any forums that might be able to help me. It really slows the workflow having to always scrub back to the section I was working on every time I access a menu or the project or effects windows.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Much obliged if you do.

Here's screen capture of the issue.

Strange Premiere Pro scrolling behavior

Return to posts index

James StrawnRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 27, 2015 at 10:52:50 pm

Try the following, if you have not already:
• Sign out from Creative Cloud, restart Premiere Pro, then sign in
• Update any GPU drivers
• Trash preferences
• Delete media cache
• Disconnect any third party hardware
• Reboot

If you have trouble finding a way to do any of those, let me know and I can send you some help links.

Software Quality Assurance - Digital Video at Adobe Systems

Return to posts index

Sean BradleyRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 10:49:56 am

Gates, I'm having the exact same issue! Just started popping up in the last week, at random. It's making me insane. Let me know if you figure this out.

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 28, 2015 at 11:13:09 am

What James said plus making sure you're on the latest Premiere Pro 8.2.

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 4:03:57 am

Anecdotally I see evidence this is connected with Mac OS updates.

Previously there was something similar with "Magic Mouse".

I am not a MAC guy... so take this with a grain of salt and your own experiences.

Its not happening on Win PCs as far as I know.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows 7-64 bit:Assus P6T Deluxe Mob, 24 GB BM SDI Decklink, . HD Workflows

Return to posts index

Gates BradleyRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:21:22 pm

Thanks for the rec James. I haven't been able to try those things just yet, as I'm in a time crunch, but will let you know what happens when I do.

Sean, I haven't found a reason yet. It strangely does seem to go away on it's own, so as headache-inducing as it is, if you power through, eventually it will go away. (Of course, it will then come back at some point.)

And Craig, I can't say for sure, but it seems you may be on to something. Sean, what version OSX are you on? I'm working off-site on a Mavericks machine right now. At my machine at my office, which runs Yosemite, I've never had this issue. Then again, I've worked on other Mavericks machines and not ever had this problem. Going down this line of thinking, though, makes me wonder if it's this 4k monitor I'm working on for some weird reason. I dunno.

As of now, I'm just hoping James' suggestions end this once and for all.

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on May 19, 2015 at 8:18:19 pm

I am having the same exact problem! It is driving me absolutely nuts. At first I thought it had something to do with my apple mouse being too sensitive to left/right scrolling, until I finally discovered Premiere was doing this any time my mouse moved over. It is seriously driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure it's an OS issue as I never experienced this on OSX 10.8.5. I wish we could roll back on the new Mac Pros. I will try James' advice and let you know if it works.

Premiere Pro 8.2.0 (65) Build
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
OSX 10.10.3 (14D136)
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC SSD
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Return to posts index

kai gebelRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on May 20, 2015 at 1:24:01 pm

Hi - Kai from Germany.

sorry about my english.

I have the same problem since a couple of days - timeline is uncontrolled scrolling into the direction of the mouse - working with 3 monitors, it is not very funny.

since 3 hours i can work again without scrolling.

i cleared the trash of premiere. pressing the shift key while Premiere is starting clears the trash. the loadtime was much longer. i am working with an MAC PRO and the start procedure needs in this state nearly 3 Minutes.

After the start, the uncontrolled moving stopped - hopefully this state is the state for the near future
Kai

Return to posts index

Bryan KeithRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on May 23, 2015 at 1:36:01 am

I just started having the exact same issue on my setup. I thought initially that it was some setting that I accidentally changed. It's truly an really annoying bug. My setup is the latest 2014 Premiere CC running on 10.10.3.

Bryan Keith

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2015 at 4:14:27 pm

Did anyone try James' suggestions? I ended up not having to, as just as randomly as the issue showed up, it then disappeared about a week later. Maybe it was fixed in an update?

Return to posts index

Jonathan WingRe: Strange timeline scrolling/shuttling problem
by on May 29, 2015 at 4:22:37 pm

I don't know, I have the most recent version and it happens to me every now and again. It happened to me just now which is why I'm here. I found that Tommy's suggestion in this thread helped: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/965152#966099 ... simply to close the sequence you have open and re-open it. Annoying, but it works. Hopefully Adobe will figure this bug out...

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2015 at 6:06:24 am

I spoke to soon, as it started happening to me again. I filed a bug report with Adobe. In the meantime, though, thanks Jonathan for the suggestion. It seems to do the trick.

And thanks, Craig for connecting it to a Mac OS update. I saw what you wrote on the Adobe forums. I've not really cared much for the OSX "upgrades" recently, but I was a sucker for the GUI updates of Yosemite. Last time I update my OS for as long as possible, especially with the dearth of worthwhile new features in the last few version numbers (#anotherrantentirely, ha)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2015 at 6:11:21 am

Again, I spoke to soon, haha! The whole "close, reopen sequence" trick now just makes Premiere crash. This happens consistently. *sigh* This bug might not be Adobe's fault, but the number of bugs that have been seriously hampering my workflow are very rapidly approaching the untenable level. They've been quite responsive in the past, but the last several bugs I've encountered have not been met with a fix for some time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]