ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Using Prores HQ as Preview File Format

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Reynolds
Using Prores HQ as Preview File Format
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:55:15 am

Hi guys,

I'm editing on a new Mac Pro (with Premiere CC) and working with Prores HQ files. Default preview settings give me the yellow bars and the adobe manual states that in this case, "Playback will play by rendering each frame just before the CTI reaches it." Ok, got that.

But I noticed that if I select Prores HQ as my preview file format (matching my footage), the yellow render bars disappear. Adobe states that in this case "Playback will play directly from the original source media file".

So my question is, is it a no-brainer? Do I use Prores HQ as my preview file format or is there some advantage to using a lesser quality preview file format?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: Using Prores HQ as Preview File Format
on Apr 27, 2015 at 1:11:09 pm

You'll really see the advantage when you capture in HQ, edit in HQ (with HQ set up as the preview format) and then output in HQ (with the Use Previews selected). Your renders will fly out. This workflow optimizes everything.

And this doesn't have to be HQ. I use the same workflow for DNxHD and 422.

Return to posts index

Mike Reynolds
on Apr 27, 2015 at 1:36:31 pm

Ok great, thanks for your reply. I'll stick with Prores HQ previews and see how it goes. If things get a little sluggish when it comes time to colour-grade or do effects, I might have to revert to the default preview settings and render at full res on output. I'll see how it goes I guess.

Return to posts index

Robert Wentz
on Apr 28, 2015 at 12:15:38 am

Also note you wont be able to set the Preview file format to Quicktime in many cases unless you first change the "Editing Mode" to "Custom".

I have found that in 99% of my situations (we mostly edit 5D and Red Dragon) setting the editing mode to custom, preview format to Quicktime, codec to ProRes422(HQ) is the way to go. I-FRAME ONLY MPEG on a mac is for the birds in my experience.

Return to posts index

John Zimmerman
on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:39:35 pm

Can you explain to me why I-FRAME ONLY MPEG is for the birds? It came default and I want to understand your thoughts. I'm mid troubleshoot and I'm very VERY curious why you say that? Thanks!
I'm trying to figure out a crazy "compiler error: unknown error" I've ruled out corrupt pictures, animations etc (I'll be getting new footage to test against that) BUT I just changed my preview settings from the I-frame to proress LT. The project used to live on another editors PC ... (I'm giving a little context in the event it helps)

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Robert Wentz
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:08:15 pm
Last Edited By Robert Wentz on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:21:19 pm

Sure, just as I said - in our situation based on my experience working with the listed footage types - on a MAC proRes 422(HQ) was the better option between the two. I would never suggest following the logic that because something is a default (all things for all people) it is a better option.

I would venture to guess that part of the reason proRes is not the default option is that proRes is not also available on windows (neither easily or by default).

Based on my experience - if you're on a mac have the disk space and throughput set your preview preset to proRes 422(HQ) .. not LT, not 422 - set it to 422(HQ).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]