ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How to make sure the audio mix doesn't go above 82db?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pier-Philippe ChevignyHow to make sure the audio mix doesn't go above 82db?
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:15:53 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a video editor working on an advertisement to be shown in a local theatre. I've made a DCP using the Wraptor export preset in Premiere CC 2014. But the QC guys came back to me letting me know that the mix was too loud and I need to make sure in doesn't go above 82 db.

This is a very low budget production so I did all the mixing myself in Premiere. Obviously I'm not an audio and I was wondering if you could help me out. I basically just adjusted the track volumes so that the VU meter would never go above -6db. It's only a music track, mastered at 0db, so I didn't add any additional compression.

Here is the guy's email :
I verified their DCPs. The image and folder structure is good, but the audio is too loud.
Scope version is 88leqm and Flat version is 85leqm, instead of 82leqm required by the specs. They should revise the mix and make sure both versions have the same mix.

How can I monitor the actual volume in db? Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: How to make sure the audio mix doesn't go above 82db?
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:49:45 pm

They are talking about a loudness measurement, not just audio levels.

I the Premier top menus select Window/Audio Track Mixer. This will display the track mixer. In the top right fx buss of the Master Tack select Special/Loudness Radar. Double click on the effect you just added to the master track, this will open the Loudness Radar and you can see how they are looking at your sound. You'll have to do some reading online to understand more about this measurement, but it can help you get your files in to spec.

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved