ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere extremely slow - 2 Editors shared media - separate projects - Terrablock

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Bar
Premiere extremely slow - 2 Editors shared media - separate projects - Terrablock
on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:57:28 pm

Hey everyone,

(Wall of text for details but jist of this is Premiere is running extremely slow in a 2 editor shared media job)

I found some useful posts for our situation but I think we're still missing something on our end. The media takes forever to load sometimes, or not at all. I'm assisting 2 editors on a stock footage job in Premiere CC 2014 8.1 - Mac OS 10.8.5 They're both using the same media which exists on a Multi User Terrablock partition, but working in their own projects, which exist on the partition. I'm pulling new clips constantly, dragging them onto the Terrablock into new folders by date, and have been importing two different ways depending on how much time we have at the moment.

1) One of the editors will import the clips(File>Import), organize into specific bins, then the other editor will "Import entire project" and grab the bins he needs.
-or-
2) If we don't have time for organizing and need clips fast(clients waiting in room) - both editors just import(File>Import) the media I've placed onto the Terrablock into their corresponding projects.

Media Cache Files are set to "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible" for both editors projects. Which means they're in the same folder I'm dragging the pulled stock footage clips into. Mostly mp4s/movs from Getty/Corbis/Dissolve. These are the .pek/.cfa I'm assuming since they show up there.
Media Cache Database was initially set to the Terrablock partition by both editors into a folder we named "CACHE", until I read some posts here about switching that locally. So now both editors have this set locally to their own hard drive, however about 2k of the 2.4k clips were already imported when it wasn't set locally.

They've been editing in thumbnail view in the bins with over a dozen at a time open usually. They tend to take 3+ minutes to load on starting up the project if we're lucky, even though all the media has been processed within 20 seconds according to the text at the bottom of the sequence describing each clip it processed quickly.

When we try to import one another's project in order to share bins or sequences, this usually results in a 15 minute ordeal. Wheel of death over and over, having to force quit, or it just saying its loading the project but after 5 minutes nothing shows up. Closing all the thumbnail view bins and clearing the source and record monitors, saving the project, quitting properly then reopening usually ends up doing the trick, but sometimes that can take a few tries.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up for them? We had a big presentation the other day and just as the editor hit "play" it crashed and took 15 minutes of opening and closing the project to finally get all the media actually show up and play. If anyone has any advice or see's something we're doing wrong I would love your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Frank

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Premiere extremely slow - 2 Editors shared media - separate projects - Terrablock
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:53:11 pm

What kind of media?

how was it shot?

I heard of some problems with P2, PPro and Terrablock, but this was a couple years ago now...

are you all fibre connected?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Frank Bar
Re: Premiere extremely slow - 2 Editors shared media - separate projects - Terrablock
on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:11:40 pm

Thanks for replying Alex.

Nothing was shot, this is a job of entirely stock footage(Getty, Corbis, Dissolve, Nimia). They are low res comps with watermarks, H264 mp4 or .mov. No raw camera dailies or anything unique like that. Just simply lots of small :02 -:15 second video clips.

I believe we are fiber connected. Terrablock partition we're using is set to Multi-User Write - "Tandem"ed to another partition as a backup precaution. Not sure if thats enough info for you or not. Just wondering in general if you had any experience with two computers sharing the same media on a Terrablock partition using Adobe Premiere.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:44:27 pm

I used to sell Terrablock, but that was in the Pre-"multi user write" era.

I then worked as an editor at a facility using HDV and PPro with a Terrablock and never had any of the speed issues you were talking about.

we routinely worked from the same media.

are there any media types that don't exhibit the issue?

as a test...

fromt he terrablock see if you can "eshare" out a volume or media folder as a regular network share over ethernet...

then import media via that mount point (in other words the network share, not what looks like the local volume mounted on your desktop)

I'm not suggesting it's the solution...

but that might tell you if something about the fibre card, adapter or switch is causing an issue.

i know it's not much...

but it is something to try...

I'd also reach out to Facilis support, they were pretty good as I recall.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:34:40 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:35:22 pm

Hi Frank,
First of all, place the media cache files on a fast local drive (not the Terrablock) and you should see an improvement in performance.

Regarding sharing items from other projects over the network, you should do so via the Media Browser instead of File > Import. Just inspect the other editor's project, copy/paste the things you need from there and then move on to the next project.

Hope that helps streamline your workflow a little.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]